• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Grrr main button controls...

DFA1

Nov 14, 2009
I'm excited about this phone, would be coming from an HTC Eris... but wtf does every company place the 4 front buttons in a different order?!

HTC, Samsung, and Sony all have different placement for the Home, Back, and Menu buttons... WHY!?

I'm excited about this phone, would be coming from an HTC Eris... but wtf does every company place the 4 front buttons in a different order?!

HTC, Samsung, and Sony all have different placement for the Home, Back, and Menu buttons... WHY!?

That is a good question. Every android phone i've had

from the Droid, Droid eris to most recently the mytouch 4g

have had ALL buttons re-arranged. But to be honest, it never really bothered me.

What bothered me is the fact that Sony only has 3 buttons, i dont get that

Upvote 0
They have just rearranged them from the current Xperia's which will be confusing when I upgrade. It's a cruel conspiracy just to make my brain hurt! I guess we just have to be grateful that SE have finally gone to a 3.5 standard jack for earphones and the micro usb charging lead rather than their old style weird pronged plug thing.

Upvote 0
That is a good question. Every android phone i've had

from the Droid, Droid eris to most recently the mytouch 4g

have had ALL buttons re-arranged. But to be honest, it never really bothered me.

What bothered me is the fact that Sony only has 3 buttons, i dont get that

to be honest I always found the fourth button to be useless, I meant come on... a search button???????? might be useful for others though
anyway, the reason why I liked the Sony Ericsson products it's because they come with three hardware buttons, unlike the Galaxy Tab that I had with its touch sensor thing ( very annoying especially when you are in the middle of something and crossed your fingers there )

Upvote 0
to be honest I always found the fourth button to be useless, I meant come on... a search button???????? might be useful for others though
anyway, the reason why I liked the Sony Ericsson products it's because they come with three hardware buttons, unlike the Galaxy Tab that I had with its touch sensor thing ( very annoying especially when you are in the middle of something and crossed your fingers there )

Actually I use the search button all the time. I just press search on the home menu and I can quickly search my phone, contacts, apps, web, or type in a website and go to the website. So the search is convenient for me.

BTW, from what I've seen in some recent Xperia Play videos, there is a search button. :D

I think the buttons are re-arrange due to copyright issues. That's just a guess.

And the whole soft key things do sux!! I hated typing when I "had" the Vibrant and wondering why am I back at home, or why am I searching.

Upvote 0
Actually I use the search button all the time. I just press search on the home menu and I can quickly search my phone, contacts, apps, web, or type in a website and go to the website. So the search is convenient for me.

BTW, from what I've seen in some recent Xperia Play videos, there is a search button. :D

I think the buttons are re-arrange due to copyright issues. That's just a guess.

And the whole soft key things do sux!! I hated typing when I "had" the Vibrant and wondering why am I back at home, or why am I searching.

yep noticed that with the Xperia Play too, for me I got used to searching using the search widget, so it's not that important for me since there is an alternative...

regarding the copyright issue I really doubt it but you could be right

Upvote 0
It's not so much that i like having the search button or not but when you have had as many phones as i have had...I'm going to say i've had close to 20 different android models in the past year and a half

it is strange when there are only 3 buttons...and even when i had the mytouch 4g, the genius button tended to screw with me a bit lol

I don't really use the search button. in fact if i have to search something, i usually do it the hard way...open the browser and search :)

lol and im committing an android sin. I am using the bing app instead of google on my g2. LOL i have been using an HD7 for so long that i hate google and love bing ha

Upvote 0
It's not so much that i like having the search button or not but when you have had as many phones as i have had...I'm going to say i've had close to 20 different android models in the past year and a half

it is strange when there are only 3 buttons...and even when i had the mytouch 4g, the genius button tended to screw with me a bit lol

I don't really use the search button. in fact if i have to search something, i usually do it the hard way...open the browser and search :)

lol and im committing an android sin. I am using the bing app instead of google on my g2. LOL i have been using an HD7 for so long that i hate google and love bing ha

LoL they already released a Bing app in the US for Android so it's not a sin anymore :p

20 models, that's a model for every month, don't you get tired from installing the same apps 20 times? :p

Upvote 0
lmao not really. I don't have that many apps on my phone compared to my best friend who has a mytouch 4g

he has like 200 apps

I only have like 96 which includes the ones that came with the phone and onces i've downloaded

But yeah i have an addiction with phones but i've toned down.

The best phones I have used to date are

A)HD7--I love windows phone 7 and the hd7. I just which the camera was better
B)Mytouch 4g
C)Tmobile g2

Honorable mentions
Sony Xperia X10--Just because i love timescape
Droid X
Palm Pre plus
haha

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones