1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General GS2 as an MP3 Player

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by KING LUFF, Jul 7, 2011.

1. KING LUFF

KING LUFF Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    So i have been on android since 2008 but have never had the need to use my phone as an MP3 player. I recently signed up to Spotify premium and absolutely love the thing but i have no idea of how to connect my GS2 to various audio equipment about the house.

I have an XBOX 360 and a standard DAB Radio with MP3 connector. What cable will i need to connect to these?

Thanks,
    :)

Advertisement

2. Screech

Screech Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    Eastern NC
    I use mine as an MP3 player all over. For some speakers and car I use a standard TRS 3.5MM plug in the headset jack. For my home theater I have a Yamaha BlueTooth receiver that I use.

3. Gretho

Gretho Member
    None

Jun 22, 2011
    Works great as mp3 player.. I used it in my car, with my headset, on my stereo.. literally everything I can think of.

4. vtax

vtax Member
    None

Jun 19, 2011
    NZ
    pair it with good headphones or earphones and your away laughing.

i paired mine with Sennheiser HD555s at home and it's phenomenal! or if you have a decent home theater system, it doesn't hurt to plug it through a 3.5mm audio jack as bluetooth will obviously drain a lot more power but for minimal quality gain.

5. adamantell

adamantell Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    Sales
    England
    i have a pair of beats, and some Bose 3 speakers, what i use when at home..

6. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Android Expert
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    Medical Doctor
    Auckland, New Zealand
    3.5mm-3.5mm cable is how I connect to most things. Don't forget streaming wirelessly via DLNA while at home!

7. bt20

bt20 Newbie
    None

Jun 15, 2011
    Does anyone know how to increase the volume for the headphones? They're a little quiet for my taste even at max.

8. KING LUFF

KING LUFF Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Thanks fellas!

I really want a pair of beats but i don't really walk anywhere! Next on the shopping list is that beats boom box, listened to it in HMV and it's bloody awesome!

9. Tal

Tal Member
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    I was fortunate enough to try out the MP3/music player on a S2 today in my local phone shop, when the guy who worked there let me have a play around with his phone.

I was seriously impressed with the S2 native music player. I have an iPhone, which as you will know has the iPod/iPod touch in it. I found the S2 music player to be equally has easy to work as the iPod, which in my opinion is a good praise.

10. Tal

Tal Member
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    The earphones I use on my iPhone/iPod are the Shure SE215, I find these a great set of earphones, and I expect they would be great too with the S2 music player.

Can anyone tell me, what the audio playback time is on the S2?

Do you find the S2's music player uses a lot of battery?

The reason I ask is, I find the iPod on my iPhone is excellent on battery and wondered how the S2's music player compared from a battery life point of view

11. Miths000

Miths000 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 20, 2011
    Denmark
    After someone claimed in another thread that he was only getting four hours of battery lifetime (and an extremely hot phone) doing nothing but playing music, I decided to put that to the test as I found that claim highly questionable.

Here's what I posted:

"I've stopped my battery test.

After nine hours of uninterrupted music playback with a varied playlist, there was still 55% battery left.
    Heat from the phone hasn't been an issue at any of the times I've checked either. Back and front of the phone has felt slightly cool to the touch (somewhat confirmed by the battery temperature which read 29 degrees Celsius when I did the final check), and it's been lying on a thick blanket all the time in a room temperature of around 24 degrees C.

So the final number of hours if I had let it run the full course, may only amount to around half of those supposed 40 hours of music playback claimed by the iPhone (I've never seen anywhere near that on my 2nd gen iPod Touch, and if you happen to turn wifi on on that thing it sucks battery like there's no tomorrow), but certainly vastly better than those 4 hours macca__macca said he's getting on his GS2.
    Unless he was just exaggerating greatly for effect - and this being my first smart phone I don't know from experience how good or bad the (realistic) GS2 battery lifetime can be considered - I would say that he definitely ought to ask for repairs or a replacement.

As mentioned in one of my previous posts, I used PlayerPro for this test with equalizer turned off and volume at 50% (right around or slightly higher than my typical listening volume) with headphones plugged in.
    GPS and data traffic was turned on as usual, and there will have been some news feed and weather updates over wifi in the background while the music was playing. The screen has only very briefly been turned on a handful of times to check on the battery status.

Overall my impressions of battery lifetime still are as follows.
    I plan for a daily charge with moderate to heavy use (with extremely heavy use, as during the first couple of days I had the phone and used it actively for many hours, an extra recharge might be needed).
    If the phone is doing nothing but lying on standby - and doing the occasional news and weather update over wifi in the background - I've so far been able to count on right around one hour per 1% battery. So that could be as much as 100 hours on standby, although let's say 72 hours with a more conservative estimate."

12. Tal

Tal Member
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    Thank you the very much for the detailed and useful advice its much appreciated :)

13. mfj197

mfj197 Member
    None

Jun 22, 2011
    The music player uses very little power indeed - negligible compared to the other processes running on the 'phone. I've been carrying out many battery tests as I've suffered from the wifi sharing bug and the Android OS battery hog bug. However when these were sorted out I had the phone playing music for many hours with only a few percentage drain on the battery. Admittedly most of this was driving external powered speakers rather than headphones, but the player itself doesn't use a lot of power.