1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

GS2 Speaker not working, OK with headphones

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Steve W, May 22, 2011.

1. Steve W

Steve W Newbie

Hi all I've had my handset for just 3 days and the sound has stopped working. It works fine when I have headphones plugged in but nothing without.

I'm going to try a factory reset in case an app I have installed is preventing the sound but I must say I'm pissed off as I've spent a lot of time customising it and getting it exactly as I want it...

Anyone else had this? On another forum it says it might be the headphone socket sensor, so I tried plugging and unplugging headphones several times to no avail...

Any help greatly appreciated...

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Irate

Irate Well-Known Member

i would return it and get a new one ive never heard of this problem

3. Steve W

Steve W Newbie

Actually that's exactly what's happening. Looks like the headphone jack sensor is incorrectly reporting that headphones are connected and therefore audio is not routed to the speaker...

New handset on Tuesday...

4. unspankable

unspankable Newbie

I just got a new GS2 and the handset speaker does not work at all. The loudspeaker and earphones work without a problem. How can you tell that its the Headphone jack sensor causing the problems?

5. Steve W

Steve W Newbie

You say "The handset speaker does not work at all" and then "the loudspeaker and earphones work without a problem" ...erm, I thought the loudspeaker and handset speaker were one and the same? Sorry can you be a bit more specific please? Thanks bud.

6. Dioky

Dioky Newbie

Hi there,

Your experience with your GS2 is exactly the same as mine with my brand new Galaxy Note!
    Mine is now sent back, so gone is my new gadget I was so eager to get as soon as possible... :mad:

I always had HTC's, this was my first Samsung... and now probably will be my last too!

Regards,

7. Phantomius

Phantomius Lurker

Errrmmm . i just had that problem and restarted the phone . now its working again i think some app may be the cause .

8. ericmsmith19

ericmsmith19 Lurker

I had the exact same issue. I had dropped my new phone in the snow but it was cold enough it did not get very wet.

I dried my phone off and tested it out, and had the issue you described. (No Audio / No Mic) - as if a headset was plugged in.

I thought the Mic had been damaged so I spent some time drying it to no avail. I then came on here and researched and found your thread.

I decided it was probably the 3.5 jack causing the issue so I lightly heated with a hair-blower on "warm" setting. For a couple minutes careful not to heat the screen or get it too hot, then I sprayed a compressed air "dust-off" can into the 3.5 jack from about a foot away.

Turned the phone back on and everything is functioning great.

Thanks alot for turning me in that direction, if I hadn't acted fast I bet there would have been damage.

Hopefully this might help someone who get's their phone wet, or snowy as well.

9. kyle3d7

kyle3d7 Lurker

Same thing happened to my note; just reset it and for me my it was low on battery so i plugged it in and voila, worked right away. Hopefully that save's someone from getting stuck with a bunk loner phone.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews