1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General GS2 wifi vs Sensation death grip which is worse?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by westieboy, Aug 11, 2011.

1. westieboy

westieboy Lurker
    None

Aug 11, 2011
    Hi all, i'm currently struggling to deceide which of these phones to get so i thought i'd google thier problems. Plenty of people are complaining on the Gs2 wifi issue and also on the sensation death grip problem, but which is the larger problem and are they still an issue or have they been fixed. Most complaints seem to date back to may/june so are these no longer an issue?

I'm really struggling here so any help would be useful, otherwise i'm down to which feels better in my hand!

Advertisement

2. arrow201

arrow201 Member
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    Toronto
    if you don't want to use a case that maybe a problem.
    I never noticed a problem during a call, but I certainly
    did for WiFi. A case really helped to improve my Wi-Fi
    re-ception!

3. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Android Expert
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    Medical Doctor
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I have both, Sensation is worse - but in practice neither should have too much of a problem unless you're quite a way from your router (if I use the phones in my bedroom ~8m and three walls from the router I can actually make the Sensation drop WiFi, whereas I only make the bars drop for the SGSII, connection is maintained).

4. westieboy

westieboy Lurker
    None

Aug 11, 2011
    Cheers guys, i wasn't intending on getting a case due to the units size already but what type of case is it that would be required? also what are they like for wi fi out and about. Coffee shops for example?

5. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Android Expert
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    Medical Doctor
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I wouldn't expect their to be any difference particularly noticeable at a coffee shop, providing the router wasn't miles away and behind some walls.

Try reading my series at blog.clove.co.uk on comparing these two phones (or save yourself the time and just get the SGSII, it is the better phone).

westieboy likes this.
  6. biffsmash

biffsmash Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 1, 2010
    I have used WiFi from around ten to twenty metres away, as well as through walls at home and work with no problems at all. Rarely get less than half signal. I think it's ok.

westieboy likes this.
  7. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert
    None

Aug 2, 2011
    Male
    UK
    I've found wifi on mine great.
    I have my home and works wifi configured in, and it always picks them both up automatically without a problem, and keeps signal until i'm about 10 yards from home.

westieboy likes this.
  8. arrow201

arrow201 Member
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    Toronto
    i did some tests ...i had my S2 for 3 1/2 weeks before my case arrived, i don't know
    if one case is better than another re: improving WiFi reception. i bought this one:
    Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy S II Tough hard case by Case-Mate
    My router is upstairs and before i couldn't get WiFi downstairs in the kitchen and
    in some other spots here and there, downstairs in the house. To my amazement i now
    can. Last night i took off the case and yep, lost WiFi in those areas, put the case
    back on ...works. It's still not as good as my previous iPhone ...but this case certainly
    helped me.

westieboy likes this.
  9. Februa

Februa Lurker
    None

Aug 11, 2011
    PhD Candidate
    Edmonton, AB
    I have absolutely no WiFi issues with my GS2 - my phone connects to the hospital/university I work at from across the street - and those are concrete buildings. My live in partner has the Sensation. He never has as strong a WiFi connection as me at home, and doesnt pick up my workplace signal until we are in the building....also, when we are sitting in the living room by the router and both phones say full strength signal, mine always beats his for download times - yes, we have had races (I made some $$ proving my GS2 was better!)....

So its pretty clear what my experience is - after significant time with both devices, the GS2 is way better, especially as far as WiFi connectivity goes.