• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GS2 wont turn on

Ali1987

Lurker
Sep 25, 2011
Hi guys,
I have recently rooted my GS2 successfully.
Purpose of this was to try and arabise my phone.

when i typed "su" (4th line) it gave me an error, cannot remember what it was... but i ignored it and continued on.

The script to arabise my phone is the following:
cd/
cd Work
adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock2 /system
chmod 777 /system/app
chmod 777 /system/framework
chmod 777 /system/fonts
chmod 777 /system/lib
stop
rm /system/app/*
rm /system/framework/*
rm /system/fonts/*
rm /system/lib/*
exit
exit
adb push DeSystem /system
adb reboot

This lead for my phone to turn on to the screen that says "Samsung GALAXY SII GT-I9100" which also has a yellow triangle with a explanation mark in the middle, halts at the screen and doesn't go any further.
It does boot into download mode and recovery mode.

When in recovery mode.
It says "Android system recovery <3e>"

I have selected the "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache partition" with no luck.
Taken the battery out of the phone for over an hour - no luck.

HELP!!!

chmod 777 on those directories is inadvisable as they are system directories and that is giving rwx access to those directories for everyone. I see you have done an rm on those folders, which has removed them, but I am unsure on that adb push command which i am unfamiliar with. I assume it is something that is attempting to recreate those folders in some way, which was why it was doing the chmod? System folders are usually rwxr-xr-x (755).

My guess is that it is not booting due to that adb push command not completing fully or to incorrect/potentially dangerous permissions on these system directories.

As you can boot up into recovery mode, there is a check permissions option in there (possibly in advanced, I cant remember off the top of my head) but try that. I'm not sure if it just checks, or if it also performs a fixmog (which restores permissions to what it expects in its tcb/auth database)

Did you perform a CWM backup before running this script?

Upvote 0
Hi Hawker,
Thanks for your reply but please dont be fooled, I am not expert at this, the script that I tried was after few hours of searching on the net which i found here:

????? ?????? ?? ?? ????? ????? SGS II Arabic All | XQ55.net

The link is a video in arabic with links to were you can download the requires files.

I did install CWM but unfortuantly I did not do a backup, on top of all that, after I selected the "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache partition", I believe this took USB Debugging off and I cannot access my phone via Odin any more, my computer picks it up but the internal storage is greyed out and cannot be accessed.

when I am in recovery mode, I cannot access the advanced features, if you know a possible way of doing so when your phone does not boot up, please advice.

Also,
within the recovery mode, only thing that is accessible is as follow:
reboot system now
apply update from sdcard
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
---------------------------------------------

I tried to install the gingerbread update from sdcard, but it does not see the files once i select "apply update from sdcard"

Im really stuck and any help from anyone would be heaps appreciated.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
guys, problem has been solved, if you notice, there are 2 "exits" within the script, this doesnt allow you to finish off the script.
I reopened cmd, typed the following:
cd/
cd Work
adb shell

then

adb push DeSystem /system

it pushed the files required then I typed this:

adb reboot

and voila, everything is back to normal and better state :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones