• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GS3 Case discussion thread

I've had the same glossy piano black TPU case on my Droid X for almost 2 years now and while it's been amazingly durable and protected the phone from numerous falls I'm getting a little bored with just one case all the time. Considering how cheap these cases are (Compared to the price of the phone itself) I don't mind buying a few and seeing which I like the most. And depending on my needs or my mood I can change cases and the phone takes on a completely different look with a different level of protection if necessary.

I have no interest in the $20 and over cases. Other than the ones with a cover over the face, I don't believe they offer a usable amount of added durability/protection and I'm not necessarily more impressed with the appearance of the expensive cases over the cheaper ones. When I speak of durability I'm talking about cases in the same general category...TPU, double layer armored, etc. I've seen and handled high dollar cases for other phones and in my eyes the biggest difference I can see between them and the cheaper cases (In the same category) is the price tag.

The heavily armored cases at any price are usually overkill in my opinion. I've dropped my DX probably 15 times from a height of 4 to 6 feet onto concrete/asphalt with just a SteinHeil screen protector (Used 2) and the $5.00 TPU case and not only is the phone in like new condition, the case itself doesn't even have any marks on it from the falls. What better protection could I need? If I were in construction I suppose I would use the heavier 2 layer cases for the possible higher falls. I now have 2 of those for the SGS3 but I'm sure they will be overkill. I don't have any that have a face cover like a hard shell holster but I can get those pretty cheap too if I wanted. Why spend $30 or $40 or more? To each their own I guess. It looks like I've turned into a case hoarder. :D

Bruce
Couldn't have said it any better. I too have had the same glossy TPU case and SGP screen protector on my Droid X for 2 years. Ive dropped it several times on the pavement and it keeps on ticking. The only thing that shows wear and tear is the screen protector and thank god i've had it on or who knows what my actual screen would look like. Im not a fan of the $20+ cases either. I don't think you get the best bang for buck out of those.

Btw, the anti-microbial thing on the Body Glove sounds gimmicky as hell and makes absolutely no difference. That alone probably accounts for the $5 markup of the case. Otherwise, it looks like a really nice case.

Upvote 0
I dont know if anybody is interested in the bulkier leather holster type cases (I usually keep a thin case and a leather one depending on what im doing that day i switch it up), but i was searching for cases high and low and stumbled across this one and ended up ordering it. It was really hidden on amazon and this is the only place I saw it on the net, I liked the tan with the black. Just if anyone happens to like these kind

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Horizontal-Leather-Holster-Carrier/dp/B00887ADBS

I use the holster type to free up pocket space, but I'm wondering if I should try a vertical style this go around. The S3 isn't exactly the size of an Incredible! I've never been one to use cases. I hate the bulk and how they totally change the look of the phone, but I'll grab one to use when its mounted on a bike or something.

Upvote 0
I use the holster type to free up pocket space, but I'm wondering if I should try a vertical style this go around. The S3 isn't exactly the size of an Incredible! I've never been one to use cases. I hate the bulk and how they totally change the look of the phone, but I'll grab one to use when its mounted on a bike or something.

I personally use a vertical holster since it is more likely to stay vertical because the the center of gravity, am less likely to hit it with my hand and it is easier to pull out of the case without fumbling.

But heh, that is just me :)

Upvote 0
I personally use a vertical holster since it is more likely to stay vertical because the the center of gravity, am less likely to hit it with my hand and it is easier to pull out of the case without fumbling.

But heh, that is just me :)

If you're looking for easy access without fumbling you really should look at the Seidio holster. Very easy 1 hand operation

Upvote 0
If you're looking for easy access without fumbling you really should look at the Seidio holster. Very easy 1 hand operation

I looked at the Seidio....

Really sharp looking, but had a couple of problems with the design....

1) Easily caught on other objects due to the clip design
2) Not as much protection versus a separate case/holster
3) Easy for others to operate without fumbling ;)

Upvote 0
Finally pulled the trigger on a more substantial phone case for my yet to be received Samsung Galaxy S3 - Pebble Blue:

Incipio SA-305 Silicrylic Hard Shell Case with Silicone Core for Samsung Galaxy S III - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Dark Gray/Light Gray

$20 shipped from Amazon via Prime (used alternate to receive by Fri).

41cLtB%2BhaaL._SS400_.jpg

Nice case:thumbup: My incipio will be here tomorrow I will post a picture. One more week for the S3!

Upvote 0
OK, so I think I made up my mind with the Samsung Cool Vent caseSamsung Galaxy S3 Cool Vent Case - Black:Amazon:Electronics. Now I just need to find a good price.

If you don't mind waiting you can find it on Ebay from various sellers. A very quick search only turned up one that would be cheaper than Amazon and based on the writing on the back, it's a knock-off. About $14 with free shipping from South Korea. Personally, if I was only getting one case I'd just spend the extra $8 and get it from Amazon. Faster shipping and easier return should the need arise.

I've seen these before and I thought they were either silicone or TPU. But from the vague descriptions it sounds like they are a hard plastic. Between the hard plastic and the slim coverage I wouldn't think they would offer very good protection from drops compared to many other cases. Better than nothing though I guess. I can just imagine that case popping right off with the first drop to a hard surface. Just my thoughts on it though. If you like it then that's all that matters.:) It certainly has a unique look in a crowded phone case market.

Black Cool Mesh Coin Stand Cover Case for Samsung Galaxy S III S3 GT-i9300 | eBay

Benny

I just looked at the Amazon version of this case again and see it would be almost $28 with shipping! Yikes! I guess that Korean knock off looks pretty good about now. Even the ones from the UK would be a little cheaper.

Upvote 0
Hello Guys. I have just registered here and I am from SmartphonePedia.com

I see that many of you here have lots of questions on Samsung Galaxy S3 cases. We have plenty of them in stock (and more added daily). I am here to answer any questions, take any pictures, videos you may want to see of any specific case or 2.

So don't be shy, paste a link of any case that you see on SmartphonePedia and I will take detailed pictures of it (we have the actual phone) and share it with you here.

Sorry, can't paste a link directly to all the Galaxy S3 cases (just registered) but it is listed from other previous member posts.

Thanks and have a happy 4th.

Upvote 0

I see that many of you here have lots of questions on Samsung Galaxy S3 cases. We have plenty of them in stock (and more added daily). I am here to answer any questions, take any pictures, videos you may want to see of any specific case or 2.

So don't be shy, paste a link of any case that you see on SmartphonePedia and I will take detailed pictures of it (we have the actual phone) and share it with you here.

Sorry, can't paste a link directly to all the Galaxy S3 cases (just registered) but it is listed from other previous member posts.

Do you make a case like the otterbox defender series with a shield for the front of the phone?

Upvote 0

How much shipping to the Philippines?

Upvote 0
Have owned my S3 for little less than a week and today whilst up a step ladder at work my S3 fell out of my pocket. It fell onto a metal desk, bounced, hit a chair and then landed on a concrete floor.

The phone lives in one of these Samsung i9300 Galaxy S3 TPU Gel Skin Case: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

and thankfully was perfectly OK. Pheeew.

Samsung, it takes a licking and keeps on ticking! (Ref. ancient Timex commercial).

That must've been like a slow motion movie scene for you. Fall...Bounce...Fall...Bounce...Fall...Land..."Oh CRAP! Oh please be ok, oh please be ok...Pheeew!" Just be sure to thank the TPU god. The TPU god is a good and protective god, yet still fashionable and inexpensive! ;)

I can't believe how many people still insist on not using a case. "Oh, I'm extremely careful and never drop my phone." Yeah, until the unexpected happens and then it's lots of tears. Glad to hear you're one of the smart ones who uses a good case and that your phone is unharmed.

Benny

Upvote 0
I've seen these before and I thought they were either silicone or TPU. But from the vague descriptions it sounds like they are a hard plastic.

Thanks Benny. I saw a few reviews on YouTube and asked what it felt like. The guy replied back earlier today stating it was a soft, matte finish which provided a better grip than the stock battery cover. That's all I needed to hear in order to lock up my decision. Thanks for the link to eBay. I'll definitely keep an eye out.

Upvote 0
Samsung, it takes a licking and keeps on ticking! (Ref. ancient Timex commercial).

That must've been like a slow motion movie scene for you. Fall...Bounce...Fall...Bounce...Fall...Land..."Oh CRAP! Oh please be ok, oh please be ok...Pheeew!" Just be sure to thank the TPU god. The TPU god is a good and protective god, yet still fashionable and inexpensive! ;)

I can't believe how many people still insist on not using a case. "Oh, I'm extremely careful and never drop my phone." Yeah, until the unexpected happens and then it's lots of tears. Glad to hear you're one of the smart ones who uses a good case and that your phone is unharmed.

Benny

Yep was the longest few seconds ever. Was extremely happy to find nothing broken. Well worth the

Upvote 0

Hey Guys, this is going to be our new username, since I've misspelled the first one. I will be answering all the questions using this account from now on.

Do you make a case like the otterbox defender series with a shield for the front of the phone?[/QUOTE said:
@Yanks - We do carry OtterBox Defender, Camo Defender, and Commuter cases for the Galaxy S3, they are just not here yet. I would also recommend Case-Mate's Phantom case. This is their new series cases and they have a built-in screen protector/shield for the front of the phone. We have images of the Galaxy S3 Case-Mate Phantom case on our site. Search for CM021189 part #.

How much shipping to the Philippines?[/QUOTE said:
@rjtim - We ship globally, and shipping to Philippines is $19.95 by USPS Priority Mail (for orders less than $150 USD). We also offer free international shipping if the order is over $150 USD. FedEx International Priority is also an option for shipping and the rate can be estimate from any product page on our site.

Upvote 0
I don't mean to be a bother, but I just wanted to put in a request for someone to put up a quick review of the Seidio Surface case if they could. Thank you in advance.

In addition, does anyone have a recommendation for a case with full coverage including a front lip that also has cutouts for the power/volume? I really like some of the hybrid cases, but I don't know if I can do a silicone cover for those parts.

I'm just very surprised that there aren't more/any cases that are hard TPU with a thin layer of silicone inside for drop protection, but no silicone on the outside. At least I don't think there are any...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones