• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GS3 Case discussion thread

Does Otterbox Commuter attract tons of linen and dusts? I currently own Otterbox defender, and every time I pull it out of my pocket, it's surrounded by tons of linens and the rubber part falls off. Does the same thing happen to the commuter series?

Yup, once that rubber smooths out and looks polished, it attracts the pocket dust/lint pretty well. But since the outer shell is mostly polycarbonate, as opposed to the Defender which is all rubber outside, it's only stuck to the top and bottom.

Now this is true for my current N1, but the design spec is similar for all phone covers from OB.

Upvote 0
I picked this up
PCPV-i9300B.jpg

Here's the link for some other different colors

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
You do realize you will without a doubt mess every single sensor, reception, GPS, etc. with back covers and/or cases made with metal right?

Not really, it's just a metal battery door, it's not an entire case, plus the edges are plastic. People on xda bought similar battery doors for their S2's and experienced no problems whatsoever. Even said the aluminum helped dissipate heat and keep the phone cooler and possibly even enhanced signal a little. On a side note, most HTC phones are mostly made of metal and work perfectly fine.

Upvote 0
Not really, it's just a metal battery door, it's not an entire case, plus the edges are plastic. People on xda bought similar battery doors for their S2's and experienced no problems whatsoever. Even said the aluminum helped dissipate heat and keep the phone cooler and possibly even enhanced signal a little. On a side note, most HTC phones are mostly made of metal and work perfectly fine.

I have been using metal cases for years and the the effect on signal is barely anything, maybe 2-3 decibles worse which is nothing...

Upvote 0
that's exactly what i was thinking. i already bought a couple xtremeguard full body shields (in case i F up the first application) and i want to put a bumper on it so it'll protect it from falls but not hide the aesthetics of this beautiful phone. only problem is i don't really see any bumper cases on the market so far. something similar to the OEM iphone bumper case would be awesome.

I just googled Aluminum Bumper Guard Samsung SIII and got a bunch of results back. I'm still realistically 2-4 weeks away from getting mine so I'm sure more options will be available by then.

Send me picture of yours after you get it dialed in to your liking.

Upvote 0
Got that same one off Amazon by Cimo technologies and the clear s-line TPU case...Really fast shipping(it only shipped from NJ to Philly) and I always use TPU cases on my phones I think they are the best

Do you have a link to the same case on Amazon? I'm looking at all the Cimo ones and for some reason they don't look the same as the one the dude posted earlier on eBay. I really like the eBay one, but I'd much rather buy off Amazon w/ prime and more peace of mind.

Upvote 0
Do you have a link to the same case on Amazon? I'm looking at all the Cimo ones and for some reason they don't look the same as the one the dude posted earlier on eBay. I really like the eBay one, but I'd much rather buy off Amazon w/ prime and more peace of mind.

just search for "samsung galaxy s3 cimo hybrid case" on amazon

Upvote 0
My Case Mate Barely There just arrived. My favorite on my last three devices. Not a lot of protection but do not drop my phone and keeps the scratches to zero.

Can not stand cases like the OtterBox

totally agree! I used to be a big fan of case mate! I have a few cases from them. I don't understand why people like Otterbox so much. I'm just too afraid of trying Otterbox. haha

Upvote 0

just search for "samsung galaxy s3 cimo hybrid case" on amazon

Damn I'm so confused. I'm looking at Aardvark's and then I also searched using draco's parameters and the first one that popped up was this. Can you guys tell the difference between this one and the white one that Aardvark posted?

I'm still kind of leaning toward the eBay case from Australia. From what I can tell, the eBay one has the rubberized edges while the Cimo ones seem to be made of silicon. Hard to tell from the pics.

Upvote 0
Damn I'm so confused. I'm looking at Aardvark's and then I also searched using draco's parameters and the first one that popped up was this. Can you guys tell the difference between this one and the white one that Aardvark posted?

I'm still kind of leaning toward the eBay case from Australia. From what I can tell, the eBay one has the rubberized edges while the Cimo ones seem to be made of silicon. Hard to tell from the pics.

Actually they are all the same exact case manufactured in HK, China. Cimo just buys it from China and puts a branding on it (probably just a sticker). All of those cases are the exact same thing. Here is the exact one I got, I just posted the Australian link because it showed all the colors.

Upvote 0
Actually they are all the same exact case manufactured in HK, China. Cimo just buys it from China and puts a branding on it (probably just a sticker). All of those cases are the exact same thing. Here is the exact one I got, I just posted the Australian link because it showed all the colors.

Actually I think I figured it out. The one you talked about was a gloss case all around and the other two hybrid cases that Aardvark posted have rubber edges (I think). Aardvark's look the same as the one on eBay. I'm on the fence whether to get one with rubber edges or gloss all around. I have a Verizon gloss case for my Galaxy S and it's treated me very well so far. I'm afraid that the rubber edges on the other case will make it difficult to put the phone in and take it out of my pocket, but I do like the idea of holding the phone with a rubber grip. Ahhhh decisions decisions...

Upvote 0
I have the same concern, can anyone w/ these cases comment on this?

Also that "clear" back case (not the s-back one) looks very cloudy in ajbrickyard's pics, I wonder how the blue will look through that?

The rubber edge is just slightly firmer than TPU and is smooth not sticky...the back is a little bit frosted as you can see but not alot, only affects the color a tiny bit(poor camera shot)

Reactions: _Aardvark
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones