• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GS3 Case discussion thread

I bought this case: Samsung Galaxy III S3 i9300 i747 HARD COVER CASE ARMOR BLACK SKIN + PURPLE RUBBE | eBay

It described it as HARD BLACK CASE + PURPLE RUBBER FEEL. It was the complete opposite. I wanted an interior silicone and hard case exterior. The fit is VERY snug. I'm not sure if it's because my clear full body skin that's affecting it. I had gaps at the top and bottom of the case. It might work better without the skin? Who knows. I took it off after a few hours because it was just so tight, I was afraid it would ruin my precious investment. It was VERY difficult taking it off.

I was not happy with it. I should have just splurged on an Incipio or Otterbox. Now my phone has to be naked (other than the clear skin) until I get a better case....

Upvote 0
Just received my Ringke Slim Lite in matte black. The phone's big enough as it is so I wanted a case that was as slim as possible. After checking out all of the ones with a slim profile, I settled on this one because it seemed to offer the most protection around the corners out of all the slim cases that leave the top and bottom exposed. It looks fantastic, fits perfectly and adds almost no bulk. I'm simply amazed at how thin it is. Anyone looking for a slim case, this is the one to get. The kit also comes with the best screen protector I've used on any phone. Not bad for $23.

Rearth Samsung Galaxy S3 Ringke SLIM Lite Kit

Upvote 0
It matters to me if a hybrid case has silicone innards because the ridge around the screen will pull at my pocket, unlike TPU. Also, I find silicone to be too soft and pliable to keep buttons from getting pushed too easily. Personal preference, that's all.

Same here. I wanted more protection than a tpu case so I went for a hybrid. Right when I pulled out the case it started to collect lint! Ugh! I should have just went with a tpu as a temporary case instead. Silicone is definitely too soft on its own

Upvote 0
I have FINALLY read through all 20 pages of this thread. And by "read" I mean scroll through, open links in tabs and bookmarked for more thorough investigating later. Now please stop posting here! I need some sleep. All this work for something I'll probably spend less than $20 on. Yeah, yeah - I know, protecting my investment.

I have a love hate with all you phone geeks. Love you have so much info, hate that I have to read through so much info. :D

Upvote 0
Picked up the Incipio Silicrylic at Verizon the other day with my 25% discount. There were none on display, but when I asked about it they retrieved this one from the back. It was in a de-branded package like all their cases. What surprised me is that it is actually more of a pebble blue than the ones I've seen online. The closest I have seen online is the grey and this cant be it. Anyways, I absolutely love the case. It matches color, doesn't add much bulk + looks and feels great.

Have the Dark Gray/Light Gray version and it still looks sharp. In the end, the back covers so much that matching the phone isn't a big deal :)

Given the choice though, would have gone with yours, but for $20 shipped 2-day I will live with mine :) Gray is close enough to blue for me...

Upvote 0
It matters to me if a hybrid case has silicone innards because the ridge around the screen will pull at my pocket, unlike TPU. Also, I find silicone to be too soft and pliable to keep buttons from getting pushed too easily. Personal preference, that's all.

Haven't found that to be an issue with my Incipio... My buttons work fine and I don't see the lint issue. In the end, the inner sleeve is minimally exposed and have not found it to be a problem YMMV

Upvote 0
Anybody know where I could find a simple slip on pouch similar to this one that I've had for my Nexus One the last few years? TIA

ada_nsc_8181-1.png

I have found this. There are many different ones on Ebay.

New OEM Android Pouch Case For Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 | eBay

Upvote 0
Just received my Ringke Slim Lite in matte black. The phone's big enough as it is so I wanted a case that was as slim as possible. After checking out all of the ones with a slim profile, I settled on this one because it seemed to offer the most protection around the corners out of all the slim cases that leave the top and bottom exposed. It looks fantastic, fits perfectly and adds almost no bulk. I'm simply amazed at how thin it is. Anyone looking for a slim case, this is the one to get. The kit also comes with the best screen protector I've used on any phone. Not bad for $23.

Rearth Samsung Galaxy S3 Ringke SLIM Lite Kit

I'm not sure which screen protector it comes with but if it's the Rearth Ringbo...in a day or less it went from a great screen protector to one of the most smudge-prone, difficult to clean screen protectors I've ever used. Impossible to clean off the smudges without using a cleaning spray and micro fiber cloth. Whatever coating they use to prevent smudges and fingerprints quickly goes from very effective to the worst ever for me.

Benny

Upvote 0
I'm not sure which screen protector it comes with but if it's the Rearth Ringbo...in a day or less it went from a great screen protector to one of the most smudge-prone, difficult to clean screen protectors I've ever used. Impossible to clean off the smudges without using a cleaning spray and micro fiber cloth. Whatever coating they use to prevent smudges and fingerprints quickly goes from very effective to the worst ever for me.

Benny

You can get just those Rearth cases on Amazon for like 13 bucks. And it doesn't come with all that extra stuff they charge you for. That case is one of my favorite slim cases. I agree with the screen protector, those ones that are bundled with these cases are generally low quality.

Upvote 0
You can get just those Rearth cases on Amazon for like 13 bucks. And it doesn't come with all that extra stuff they charge you for. That case is one of my favorite slim cases. I agree with the screen protector, those ones that are bundled with these cases are generally low quality.

I did the opposite of that. I only bought the screen protector and skipped the case. I think I paid about $12 or $13 for 2 of them from Amazon. I'm not going to bother asking for a refund but it's unlikely Rearth will ever see my money again. Pure crap.

Regarding the case itself, it looks a little too sparse to provide adequate protection (by my standards, anyway). Appearance is secondary for me but I don't find the case to be especially attractive. To each their own.

Benny

Upvote 0
I did the opposite of that. I only bought the screen protector and skipped the case. I think I paid about $12 or $13 for 2 of them from Amazon. I'm not going to bother asking for a refund but it's unlikely Rearth will ever see my money again. Pure crap.

Regarding the case itself, it looks a little too sparse to provide adequate protection (by my standards, anyway). Appearance is secondary for me but I don't find the case to be especially attractive. To each their own.

Benny

I paid 25 for my zagg screen protector and even though I already had it come off In getting a new one for free

Upvote 0

The one bundled with the Rinkgo case sells for $13 on its own so you're actually saving a few bucks by buying them together. I needed a screen protector as well so this was a no brainer.

Upvote 0

Benny

Maybe you just got a defective screen protector. It's possible. After all, there are over 90 reviews on amazon for the screen protector and they are overwhelmingly positive. I'll give it a few days and see.

As for the case, it's all about what you're looking for. Sure those that cover the entire phone offer more protection. But I think all of the silicone/gel/tpu that cover the entire phone look ugly as sin and make the phone look noticeably bigger. I bought and returned a case from verizon for this reason. I'll take my chances with a thinner case that I don't feel embarrassed showing off to my friends.

Upvote 0

This hasn't been an issue and I am not a holster person. The silicone they used is very smooth and minimally exposed. Works well with this case.

Upvote 0
Yeah, that Incipio looks great! Too bad its innards are silicone, though. :-(

Sorry about the failure to pick up a Diztronic matte blue TPU case. The blue Belkin case from Verizon is near perfect for me. The gloss is grippy without being like silicone. Yeah, fingerprints accumulate, but I look at the front of my phone WAY more than the back... ;-)

Ok I'll head to Verizon to check it out (then buy it off Ebay) ;)

Upvote 0
I am looking for a leather holster (belt clip - vertical or swivel) that uses a magnetic closure, not Velcro. The one I have from Verizon for my Razr fits, but the magnets are causing the S3 to reboot like crazy....any suggestions?

Don't you mean you're looking for a Velcro one, not a magnetic one? If the current magnetic one is causing reboots why would you want another?:thinking:

Benny

Upvote 0

Benny

I would contact Rearth. They have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee policy. If you don't like the product they will give you a full refund.

I just realized that I bought the Clear plus on Amazon. I didn't know it was the same one that came bundled with the case. I really like it. It's a great screen protector. I haven't had any issues with it. It has extremely solid reviews on Amazon. Its almost a perfect rating with over a 100 reviews. Someone must have been defective or wrong with the install.

Upvote 0
Maybe you just got a defective screen protector. It's possible. After all, there are over 90 reviews on amazon for the screen protector and they are overwhelmingly positive. I'll give it a few days and see.

I dunno about that. I've used BOTH of them that came in the package now with the exact same results. I lost the first one when I swapped my first SGS3 for a new one. I suppose anything is possible. I'm not certain but I think these screen protectors are just stamped out a large sheet or roll of prepared plastic along with thousands of other ones. I doubt that each one is individually coated and therefore more susceptible to some sort of error in the assembly process.

Yes, I did read some of the Amazon reviews. I wonder how many of those were written by people who didn't have them for long enough to find out that they are smudge/fingerprint magnets. Or how many of them just don't care or notice that their phone's pristine screen is constantly smudged and or slightly hazy? I can't explain why some people have lower standards than I do or why some people just aren't as observant. (Yes, I realize that sounds pretty arrogant, sorry :eek:) I just know that if you saw the screen of my phone you would absolutely agree with me that the anti-smudge/fingerprint coating on it has failed big time.

By the way, if you read back in this thread you will see that I'm not the only person who feels the same way about them. Another guy said he "Thought I was crazy" when he first read my complaint. Then the next day he realized what it was that I was talking about. Do you think we both got shipped some of those "Defective" ones or is it possible that some people are just more tolerant of smudges? Please don't take offense to this. I'm not trying to insult your taste, standards or powers of observation. I'm just pointing out what to me is more likely than the chance that he and I got some of the very few "Defective" screen protectors that were stamped out of sheets or rolls of otherwise perfectly fine screen protectors. And that it's unlikely that this alleged defect only shows up after it's been used for about a day.

As for the case, it's all about what you're looking for. Sure those that cover the entire phone offer more protection. But I think all of the silicone/gel/tpu that cover the entire phone look ugly as sin and make the phone look noticeably bigger. I bought and returned a case from verizon for this reason. I'll take my chances with a thinner case that I don't feel embarrassed showing off to my friends.

Yes, everyone has a different standard of what they think looks good. Hence my saying "To each their own". :) I'm just not willing to expose half of the edges of my expensive and breakable phone to hard concrete/asphalt just because I want it to look slightly different. I just don't see that much difference between covering only 90%+ of the phone leaving only the top and bottom edge uncovered, and adding just a small amount more TPU and covering those relatively thin strips. At least not so much that I would say that I really like the slim case but think the slight increase in plastic makes it "Ugly as sin". That small amount of added plastic is quite the tipping point for you I guess. To me the dividing line between "Ugly as sin" and "It's fine/I like it a lot" isn't quite such a razor's edge. Again, to each their own. I'll take function and slightly more plastic over the very real (for me) alternative any day. I also bought the phone for it's function and it's appearance was second. Not that I don't want it too look good too, just not at the cost of smashing it on the pavement. Yes, I have dropped my Droid X (Thoroughly covered in glorious TPU) from 4' to 6'+ to the pavement probably a dozen times in the 2 years that I've had it. I keep it in my shirt pocket but sometimes it likes to escape.:(

As far as being "Embarrassed showing off to my friends" goes, I don't know what to tell ya. We're just different I guess. Even my 16 year old daughter isn't that sensitive to what her friends think.:rolleyes: Personally, I wouldn't want to hang around people that would make me feel embarrassed for something as trivial and practically invisible as a tiny amount of extra plastic on my phone. I would be embarrassed if they knew I thought they cared about such things though. ;):D My people are a simple people...We live in caves, kill what we eat and eat what we kill. And our phone cases are made from the bones and skins of the animals we kill so that we may honor their sacrifice. :rolleyes:;):D

Benny (AKA Grog the Caveman)

Upvote 0
I dunno about that. I've used BOTH of them that came in the package now with the exact same results. I lost the first one when I swapped my first SGS3 for a new one. I suppose anything is possible. I'm not certain but I think these screen protectors are just stamped out a large sheet or roll of prepared plastic along with thousands of other ones. I doubt that each one is individually coated and therefore more susceptible to some sort of error in the assembly process.

Yes, I did read some of the Amazon reviews. I wonder how many of those were written by people who didn't have them for long enough to find out that they are smudge/fingerprint magnets. Or how many of them just don't care or notice that their phone's pristine screen is constantly smudged and or slightly hazy? I can't explain why some people have lower standards than I do or why some people just aren't as observant. (Yes, I realize that sounds pretty arrogant, sorry :eek:) I just know that if you saw the screen of my phone you would absolutely agree with me that the anti-smudge/fingerprint coating on it has failed big time.

By the way, if you read back in this thread you will see that I'm not the only person who feels the same way about them. Another guy said he "Thought I was crazy" when he first read my complaint. Then the next day he realized what it was that I was talking about. Do you think we both got shipped some of those "Defective" ones or is it possible that some people are just more tolerant of smudges? Please don't take offense to this. I'm not trying to insult your taste, standards or powers of observation. I'm just pointing out what to me is more likely than the chance that he and I got some of the very few "Defective" screen protectors that were stamped out of sheets or rolls of otherwise perfectly fine screen protectors. And that it's unlikely that this alleged defect only shows up after it's been used for about a day.

Yes, everyone has a different standard of what they think looks good. Hence my saying "To each their own". :) I'm just not willing to expose half of the edges of my expensive and breakable phone to hard concrete/asphalt just because I want it to look slightly different. I just don't see that much difference between covering only 90%+ of the phone leaving only the top and bottom edge uncovered, and adding just a small amount more TPU and covering those relatively thin strips. At least not so much that I would say that I really like the slim case but think the slight increase in plastic makes it "Ugly as sin". That small amount of added plastic is quite the tipping point for you I guess. To me the dividing line between "Ugly as sin" and "It's fine/I like it a lot" isn't quite such a razor's edge. Again, to each their own. I'll take function and slightly more plastic over the very real (for me) alternative any day. I also bought the phone for it's function and it's appearance was second. Not that I don't want it too look good too, just not at the cost of smashing it on the pavement. Yes, I have dropped my Droid X (Thoroughly covered in glorious TPU) from 4' to 6'+ to the pavement probably a dozen times in the 2 years that I've had it. I keep it in my shirt pocket but sometimes it likes to escape.:(

As far as being "Embarrassed showing off to my friends" goes, I don't know what to tell ya. We're just different I guess. Even my 16 year old daughter isn't that sensitive to what her friends think.:rolleyes: Personally, I wouldn't want to hang around people that would make me feel embarrassed for something as trivial and practically invisible as a tiny amount of extra plastic on my phone. I would be embarrassed if they knew I thought they cared about such things though. ;):D My people are a simple people...We live in caves, kill what we eat and eat what we kill. And our phone cases are made from the bones and skins of the animals we kill so that we may honor their sacrifice. :rolleyes:;):D

Benny (AKA Grog the Caveman)

If you want to insult me by saying that I'm more sensitive than your 16 year-old daughter, that's fine. Doesn't bother me. But please don't insult my friends. I never said they'd make me feel embarrassed. I said I'd be embarrassed to show it off to them in what I think is an ugly case. Just like I'd also be embarrassed to drive a pink car in front of them, or wear skinny jeans while hanging out with them -- simply because I find it embarrassing. Call me vain if you want. Heck, I think you have to be a little to go with a case like this. But it says nothing about them. So let's leave my friends out of this, okay?

As for the screen protector, I've had it for over a day and it doesn't pick up finger prints any more than it did when I first got it. But, hey, maybe over the next several it'll do exactly what you said it would do. That's why I said I'd give it a few days.

And just to stay on topic, the longer I have the Ringke Slim case, the more I love the way it looks and feels. I'm obviously willing to sacrifice a little protection for what I feel are better aesthetics. In case anyone else is too, this is the slim case to get in my opinion.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones