• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GS3 text notifications after update

My Verizon Galaxy S3 recently did a software update (about a week ago). Ever since, I have not been getting notifications when I receive texts. No alert, no vibrate, no sound, no picture in the status bar, no LED light - literally nothing. I used to receive preview of messages in the status bar, now it doesn't do that, no way to tell me a text was received. The only way to know that I have a message is to go into my messaging app and see it there.
I have no other messaging apps installed - using the stock app. In Message Settings, I have notifications checked, vibrate checked, a ringtone set, volume up, "preview message in status bar" checked. Same in sound settings - volume up, notification sound selected. It is running the 4.1.1 software.
A lot of answers that I'm seeing online suggest that in the "Wifi, Mobile Data... etc" bar that you get when you pull down the status bar, there should be an option called "notification" that should be turned on, but that does not exist.
Any ideas??? Please!

try checking the sound settings and see whats set there for sound and notification setting and change and see if it works. Otherwise u could try doing a factory reset and see if it helps.

Also try going into settings --> Application manager --> All and then scroll down to messaging and click on it and make sure show notification is checked there. Also check that its not disabled.

Upvote 0
I have good/bad news.
Good: I fixed my problem!
Bad: It probably won't fix yours...

Turns out that the GoSMSPro app was installed on my phone and had a "Disable notifications from other apps" box checked. I thought I had uninstalled it because I don't use it on this phone but I guess it had held over from my last one.

So, I recommend searching through all your wife's apps and making sure she doesn't have anything like that?

I had done that - what you said about taking everything out and rebooting - to no avail. I also went to a Verizon store last night and they were 100% useless.

Upvote 0
I have an AT&T SGS3 and I wasn't getting ANY text message notifications all of the sudden (no light, vibrations, tones, message previews etc.) There was no way to see if I had any unread texts unless I went into the app and read through each conversation thread to see if there was anything new.

I made sure I had the notifications box in my Messages app checked and EVERYTHING I've seen suggested but it still didn't fix it!

However, I THINK I may have found a solution to my problem. :)

*when I cleared the cache in the stock "AT&T Messages" app I started to get my normal sms notifications again in the "Messaging" app! :thumbup:

~and just to make sure it stays fixed I uninstalled the AT&T Messages' last app update and disabled the auto update feature for this app in the Play Store. I have no idea if this part is necessary but I'm just being extra causcious because it was really annoying to miss all of my text messages.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones