• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GS4/Straight talk/Verizon

danielunde

Android Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2011
GA.
Planing on buying an unlocked SGS4 and was wanting some input on Straight talk and or Verizon It's GSM with no bloatware and with only Samsung logo boot up screen If someone could give me the pro's and con's for these two carriers if at all possible. Thank in advance..

Yeah, those are the carriers like straight talk, net10, solvei, etc.
So are there anything that i need to look for in particular with theses carriers besides Cost because i sure don't want a $120.00 phone bill each month. AT&T is 120.? i was thinking Straight Talk maybe? Any suggestions? As i have MetroPCS right now and i have good service, but there CDMA and i have got to find a GSM carrier.. And i live in Dalton, Georgia.

Upvote 0
So are there anything that i need to look for in particular with theses carriers besides Cost because i sure don't want a $120.00 phone bill each month. AT&T is 120.? i was thinking Straight Talk maybe? Any suggestions? As i have MetroPCS right now and i have good service, but there CDMA and i have got to find a GSM carrier.. And i live in Dalton, Georgia.

Looking at the coverage map for your area, AT&T has much better coverage. If you don't mind forgoing LTE capability, using an AT&T MVNO is your best bet. Net10 has unlimited minutes, unlimited texting, and roughly 1.5GB of data for $50 a month ($45 a month if you sign up for automatic credit card renewal). T-Mobile has okay coverage in your area, and if you want to get on the $30 dollar plan for 100 minutes, unlimited texting and unlimited data (throttled at 5GB). Straight talk also offers AT&T coverage, but they've stopped selling AT&T sim cards. So to get one, you'll have to buy it online from ebay or similar websites where they're going for quite a pretty penny. They will honor it though if you get one and they offer the same package as Net10.

Upvote 0

You can check this out for your area. May give you some help. OpenSignal - Crowd-sourced Cellular Coverage Maps for the world.
T-Mobile or Simple Mobile have great speeds just depends on if the coverage is good in your area. If you have one phone Simple Mobile is good, but if you have multiple, the addt'l lines plan on T-Mobiles new plans are nice.

Reactions: danielunde
Upvote 0
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=+AT%26T+sim+cards&_sacat=0&_from=R40URL="http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=+AT%26T+sim+cards&_sacat=0&_from=R40"][/URL]
You can check this out for your area. May give you some help. OpenSignal - Crowd-sourced Cellular Coverage Maps for the world.
T-Mobile or Simple Mobile have great speeds just depends on if the coverage is good in your area. If you have one phone Simple Mobile is good, but if you have multiple, the addt'l lines plan on T-Mobiles new plans are nice.
yeah i found a lot on eBay here: AT&T sim cards | eBay
A lot of choices here.

Upvote 0
Looking at the coverage map for your area, AT&T has much better coverage. If you don't mind forgoing LTE capability, using an AT&T MVNO is your best bet. Net10 has unlimited minutes, unlimited texting, and roughly 1.5GB of data for $50 a month ($45 a month if you sign up for automatic credit card renewal). T-Mobile has okay coverage in your area, and if you want to get on the $30 dollar plan for 100 minutes, unlimited texting and unlimited data (throttled at 5GB). Straight talk also offers AT&T coverage, but they've stopped selling AT&T sim cards. So to get one, you'll have to buy it online from ebay or similar websites where they're going for quite a pretty penny. They will honor it though if you get one and they offer the same package as Net10.

Hey Walmart has the Bring your Own Phone Kit it comes with the T-Mobile Sim card and the At&t Sim card and also the At&t Micro Sim Card that goes in the Iphone and GS3 and GS4 I know this because I just bought one today and it is working Great on my GS3 getting 4G service here in Stlouis. Also the Kit includes 30 days of service Unlimited Talk...Text..Data..411 it the one for 59.88 with taxes was 65.09

Reactions: danielunde
Upvote 0
Hey Walmart has the Bring your Own Phone Kit it comes with the T-Mobile Sim card and the At&t Sim card and also the At&t Micro Sim Card that goes in the Iphone and GS3 and GS4 I know this because I just bought one today and it is working Great on my GS3 getting 4G service here in Stlouis. Also the Kit includes 30 days of service Unlimited Talk...Text..Data..411 it the one for 59.88 with taxes was 65.09

You must be one of the lucky stores because ours were out of the ones that contained the AT&T cards. :(

Upvote 0
it's not just the card it's a whole kit that includes 3 different cards 2 regular sims for tmobile another for at&t and also a micro sim for at&t ... If I could figure out how to put pics on this site I would show you lol

Yeah, they were sold out when we went and they don't offer them on the web anymore. It's alright because got the one we wanted on at&t on net10 after a major headache.

Upvote 0
For straight talk there is the old AT&T network sim that will still give unlimited data too. Can be found on eBay. Last I heard straight talk is still negotiated with AT&T for the new sims, but that unlimited Data is off the table with them. Heard all of this from a co-worker that just got an unlocked Galaxy S3 for straight talk, she got a sim off eBay for it and is unlimited on calls/text/data.

Upvote 0
Would you send me the product number off the kit? and or the item number? Thank you!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
here is the package

Attachments

• 20130429_163212.jpg
    20130429_163212.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 20130429_163222.jpg
    20130429_163222.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20130429_163232.jpg
    20130429_163232.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 40
  • 20130429_163309.jpg
    20130429_163309.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 42
Upvote 0
FWIW, I had Straight Talk with a Samsung Galaxy Proclaim (S720C) on VZW's network for 8 or 9 months. Service was pretty good, for the most part. But here's the rub with most (if not all) prepay services: no roaming... or limited roaming. You have to go to postpaid plans to get full service coverage. At least, that was my experience.

Also, from my perspective, when you get up to 4 lines or more of service, the MVNO plans begin to lose their value, especially if roaming is not included. My service with ST/VZW worked on VZW native towers only. If I went to an area where VZW roamed, I had no service.

As usual, YMMV.

Upvote 0
A few Verizon phones have been used on AT&T and TMobile. Has it been positively confirmed that the S4 can or can or can not do that?

Frequency wise it should be possible, but sometimes there's security that prevent the usage on the American gsm carriers while still remaining unlocked for the international gsm carriers. It varies device to device unfortunately. Even if you did get it to work, you probably wouldn't get better than EDGE (2g) data.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones