• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root GSB vs. condemned cm7

The only issue that I had with GSB is that it would usually fail on the first try for installing or updating apps from the market. Subsequent installs always worked. Otherwise, it was rock-solid. The last version that I ran was 2.9, though.

With Condemned, I do not get those errors from the market, though I did once have an issue where the phone would not turn on when power was pressed. I never saw that on GSB, but Erisuser1 reported a similar issue with GSB, so it may be a CM7 issue. The last version of Condemned I tried was V5.

Otherwise, I really like both ROMs. I prefer both to the Froyo ROMs, which, as I recall, all have issues with long-term GPS use, like using Navigation. Also, I have issues with WiFi reconnecting with the Froyo ROMs when I turn the interface back on. The GB ROMs do not have this issue.

Upvote 0
As doogald said, they're pretty much the same as far as performance. My main difference has been a little less lag with Condemned cm7 than GSB and fewer problems with the phone freezing up. I've had the market problems with both of them, but I'd say less so with Condemned cm7.

Upvote 0
I've been running GSB for a long time and it's fine ... but over the last 3 or 4 updates the lag issue using LP has been getting noticeably worse. Combine that with the fact that the GSB developer seems to be losing interest in the project, and it means I'm moving over to Condemned as soon as its next upgrade comes out.

Good choice.:D

Upvote 0
I rooted yesterday and put on GSB 3.2 and haven't had any problems installing apps. 3.3 just came out last night.

I haven't had time to try out Condemned's mod yet. The only drawback I see in GSB is the lag when hitting the home screen from an app or another screen.

That is supposed to be fixed in 3.3, with the new gscripts that Workshed includes. I haven't tried it myself.

Yeah, that was my primary complaint with GSB. It doesn't seem to be an issue at all with Condemned (using LauncherPro), but I'll see how it feels after a few more days of use.

I had the problem with both; it was always solved by going into settings->cyanogenmod settings->performance->lock home in memory, for both ROMs.

Upvote 0
That is supposed to be fixed in 3.3, with the new gscripts that Workshed includes. I haven't tried it myself.

I had the problem with both; it was always solved by going into settings->cyanogenmod settings->performance->lock home in memory, for both ROMs.

I just checked 'lock home in memory' and immediately the homepage is much faster coming back.

Reactions: mattlwoo
Upvote 0
The only issue that I had with GSB is that it would usually fail on the first try for installing or updating apps from the market. Subsequent installs always worked. Otherwise, it was rock-solid. The last version that I ran was 2.9, though.

Because the current Condemned has an apparent issue with Navigation, I decided to try out GSB 3.4. I am no longer having those market issues that I always had.

Seriously, both ROMs are excellent. It almost comes down to this: if you prefer ADW launcher, go with Condemned. If you prefer LauncherPro (or, for now at least, need navigation), go with GSB.

I have never tried Tazz but I suspect that it is also excellent.

Reactions: paleodust
Upvote 0
Because the current Condemned has an apparent issue with Navigation, I decided to try out GSB 3.4. I am no longer having those market issues that I always had.

Seriously, both ROMs are excellent. It almost comes down to this: if you prefer ADW launcher, go with Condemned. If you prefer LauncherPro (or, for now at least, need navigation), go with GSB.

I have never tried Tazz but I suspect that it is also excellent.

Condemned was able to fix the synchronization issue with the email exchange, which was a big deal to me as I use it for work and love having my email pushed to me right away.

Has GSB had success in this area?

Upvote 0
Condemned was able to fix the synchronization issue with the email exchange, which was a big deal to me as I use it for work and love having my email pushed to me right away.

That was why I switched to Condemned. Hate having to choose between navigation and exchange e-mail. I need both since I'm always on the road.

Upvote 0

I just went to the GSB website and noticed that the exchange email sync fix has been added to it as well.

Reactions: nomarsgirl
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones