• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GSM Droid...

N3maN

Feb 23, 2010
Hey guys,

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but i have been unable to find an answer anywhere...

Do all the custom mods/roms work with the GSM version of the droid? I know most of you cats are all using the CDMA version in the US, so how about it?

Sorry for the noobish nature of this question... hopefully, if i like the answer, i can grab me a droid and start being a useful member!!

Cam

wow... now i look even more like a rookie....! sorry for the noobishness guys....

the reason i was asking if it was possible, is because i currently have a samsung i7500 galaxy, and we actually have access to a program called ODIN for the i7500. This program is the official method used by samsung to reload software onto their android handsets... the key with this is that it allows you to flash on certain parts of the phone; for example you could flash PDA, and Phone components, and not touch the CSC.

This would mean that, theoretically, certain ROM aspects from a CDMA i7500 (if such a thing existed!), could be flashed onto a GSM handset.

It is a real bummer such a thing does not exist for the Droid/Milestone :(

Upvote 0
...and seeing as how it is not as popular as the Droid, there are fewer developers...

The exclusive UK distributor for the "Milestone" sold out the first few hours, and had trouble keeping it in stock after initial release. German telcos were selling them for "less than $1EU". Coupled with the fact that the Milestone/Droid run Android 2.x, I don't see how "popularity" of one over the other would dictate app availability. I could see there being an issue with an app working on 1.x vs. 2.x however.

I'd suggest the OP hitting up some Milestone forums, or more specifically "Euro Milestone" forums.

Upvote 0
The exclusive UK distributor for the "Milestone" sold out the first few hours, and had trouble keeping it in stock after initial release. German telcos were selling them for "less than $1EU". Coupled with the fact that the Milestone/Droid run Android 2.x, I don't see how "popularity" of one over the other would dictate app availability. I could see there being an issue with an app working on 1.x vs. 2.x however.

I'd suggest the OP hitting up some Milestone forums, or more specifically "Euro Milestone" forums.

Well, the initial UK release was like what, 3K units?

I think my post might have been a bit ambiguous, but it was in response to the OP's question of if the Milestone can run Droid ROMs, to which I replied no, but there are Milestone ROMs, just not as many, because there are fewer developers developing ROMS.

App compatibility is a non issue. I don't see any reason why a Milestone couldn't run any app that the Droid could (unless there is a specific block of an app in the market in some countries)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones