• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GSM Galaxy Nexus Question

TheStapher7

Dec 2, 2011
Hey guys, it's been awhile. I'm looking to jump back into the fray again with the Nexus and I have a question regarding the new $399 Unlocked GSM Nexus being offered through the Google Play Store. I've been a VZW customer and I'm thinking about making the jump to GSM since the phone is now so cheap unlocked. What would you guys say the best carrier is to get a plan with for this phone? I make very few phone calls, text like a fiend, and love to stream music. From what I've gathered it's between AT&T & T-Mobile, T-Mobiles plans are spelled out pretty nicely while the AT&T plans seem a bit confusing.

Also on a side note.. this version of the galaxy nexus should be compatible with the Pogo docks, correct?

Thanks for the input guys!

I'd go with AT&T over T-mobile if I were you. T-mobile's HSPA+ speed is a little faster but their coverage is worse and spotty than at&t.

This new pricing off-contract for GSM one is very nice and I would strongly consider that if I'm on at&t. Unlike verizon one, it's true Nexus from Google without updates held up by carrier.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Do you personally know of any reasonable plans they have for unlocked phones? I'm talking to one of the CSR's right now and they are trying to sell me on another phone :p

It's just hard when I could get a Verizon nexus for $49 on amazon and have excellent 4g coverage, but then have to deal with the BS that comes along with it (no google wallet, delayed updates, poor accessory selection)

Or go with the unlocked GSM version, have access to the "pure" galaxy nexus experience. But then have to pay $399, find an appropriate service provider (which I travel to visit my girlfriend a lot in upstate NY and T-Mobile doesn't even have ANY coverage where her school is), and import those really awesome accessories.

The thing is with this phone is.. I feel like it's worth the investment. I want PURE android without having to root & that's very hard to find.

Upvote 0
I guess is boils down to this, which sounds more enticing to you guys?

$49 on amazon for the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon with good coverage @ $89/month.
(2 year contract, 450 minutes, unlimited text, 4gb of data)
OR
$399 for the GSM unlocked Galaxy Nexus on T-Mobile with fair coverage @ $30/month.
(No contract, 100 minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data)

Upvote 0
I guess is boils down to this, which sounds more enticing to you guys?

$49 on amazon for the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon with good coverage @ $89/month.
(2 year contract, 450 minutes, unlimited text, 4gb of data)
OR
$399 for the GSM unlocked Galaxy Nexus on T-Mobile with fair coverage @ $30/month.
(No contract, 100 minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data)

Well, you said that T-Mo has zero reception at your gf's campus. The question is, how often do you visit her and is that a huge factor in your decision.

How is T-Mo where you are residing?

Over the long run, you save much more money with Tmo compared to Verizon. AT&T's pricing is pretty close to Verizon. I know AT&T has a 15% off for students on their plans as I have a friend that's in the same situation as you.

Reactions: TheStapher7
Upvote 0
In *my* area, T-Mobile gets great reception. In addition, T-Mobile offers what they call "value" plans. This is another way of saying, "our plan doesn't have subsidized phone costs built into the plan". With a value plan, you pay for JUST the service. In the long run-- it becomes incredibly cheap. It assumes of course you have your own phone.

That said, I have been in other areas where my Tmobile reception blew chunks while my friend's ATT reception was fine. BUT-- ATT's pricing is not as attractive, from what I've seen.

What you really need to do is find some people you know IN YOUR AREA - someone with TMO and someone with ATT- and ask them about their coverage. That's the only way to find out. cell company coverage maps are not accurate.

Whatever coverage is best-- is 'probably' who you should go with. BUT-- all things being equal, I think TMO is cheaper in the long run. YMMV. Good luck.

PS: I've been a TMo customer for years, currently have a Samsung Galaxy S and just pulled the trigger on getting the Google Nexus special. I can't wait.

Upvote 0
If you are going off contract and want to save $$ I'd go with tmobile. Att's prepaid plans are pretty poor and only give you 1gb of data

what he said.. if you are buying an off contract phone and tmobile has a good coverage in your area, then tmobile is the best option for you IMHO... neither verizon, spring or att have unsubsidized plans so you would be paying extra each month

Reactions: TheStapher7
Upvote 0
Thinking of the same thing here. I had the HTC One X in mind until I saw the Galaxy Nexus being sold on the Play Store. I'd still rather have the One X, but the GNex on T-Mobile looks pretty good. With my requirements for wifi hotspot (use it for work) and unlimited texting, T-Mobile comes out to $95/month while AT&T would be $110/month. I'm leaning toward T-Mobile.

Upvote 0
Can you still use Google wallet if you root you Gnex??

You can but you shouldn't from what ive read. Apparently if you use a rooted phone hackers can get easier access to your credit cards. Also for some reason being rooted and using google wallet can destroy your "secure element" and the only way to fix your secure element is to get your phone replaced.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, it's been awhile. I'm looking to jump back into the fray again with the Nexus and I have a question regarding the new $399 Unlocked GSM Nexus being offered through the Google Play Store. I've been a VZW customer and I'm thinking about making the jump to GSM since the phone is now so cheap unlocked. What would you guys say the best carrier is to get a plan with for this phone? I make very few phone calls, text like a fiend, and love to stream music. From what I've gathered it's between AT&T & T-Mobile, T-Mobiles plans are spelled out pretty nicely while the AT&T plans seem a bit confusing.

Also on a side note.. this version of the galaxy nexus should be compatible with the Pogo docks, correct?

Thanks for the input guys!
I don't have personal experience behind this but have read a lot in considering purchase of an unlocked GSM phone (Nexus being at the top of my list). It sounds like you need a sim from both T-Mobile and AT&T--switching out as needed and perhaps the need to change the APN when switching. I looked at AT&T and didn't find what I was looking for--basically because everything was compartmentalized if I remember. If they have a daily plan for your own phones like they do for their GoPhones, it would benefit you. You'll have to inquire. I learned a lot about Straight Talk. It runs on AT&T or on T-Mobile. I think the sims are $15 each. While visiting your GF, you probably have access to wifi for web/text so you only need limited services with some minutes. You may want to check it out. This site might help.

Upvote 0
You can but you shouldn't from what ive read. Apparently if you use a rooted phone hackers can get easier access to your credit cards. Also for some reason being rooted and using google wallet can destroy your "secure element" and the only way to fix your secure element is to get your phone replaced.

Thank you won't be rooting my phone I love Google wallet and use every day helps me save by not have cash and not being able to get cash

Upvote 0
Thank you won't be rooting my phone I love Google wallet and use every day helps me save by not have cash and not being able to get cash

Yes unfortunately its true. Rooting does open a glaring security hole. If someone knew their way around the Android file system, I'm sure they could find things like this pretty easy.

Fortunately though, I don't use Google Wallet. :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones