1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

GSM Galaxy Nexus updates?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by j c m, Dec 21, 2011.

1. j c m

j c m Newbie

I purchased the GSM Galaxy Nexus I9250 from Amazon and am using it on my AT&T line. I love the phone and HSPA+ data speeds are sweet.

I have a couple of questions. Where will I receive Android updates from, Samsung or Google? Will I receive OTA updates or always be required to go to Samsung or Google's website to download updates?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. WoodrowB

WoodrowB Newbie

I assume that they will handle these as they have the N1...updates coming directly OTA from Google.

3. greggebhardt

greggebhardt Android Enthusiast

Updates will come from Google or Samsung as it is not an AT&T phone. You will get them sooner than the AT&T people

4. j c m

j c m Newbie

I'm wondering why I am still on 4.0.1 when 4.0.2 (and 4.0.3?) are available from Verizon?

5. j c m

j c m Newbie

Has anyone else on the GSM GN been upgraded to 4.0.2 yet? If so, how and when did you get the update. I'm concerned that my phone is from Canada and not getting updates?

6. kevinaminator

kevinaminator Newbie

I have the gsm version as well. When I first turned it on, I got the OTA update to 4.0.1, but since then nothing. System updates says that I'm up to date.

I'm also waiting for it, don't wanna root :D

7. kylecummins

kylecummins Android Expert

Same boat, GSM on 4.0.1 with no google wallet

8. rubiconjp

rubiconjp Android Enthusiast

It appears that Google has stopped OTA on 4.0.2 temporarily, from monitoring people reporting OTA on XDA.

To determine if your phone is updated by Google or Samsung, get either the GN official update checker or Android system info app on Market. If your product is yakju or host is one of Google servers, Google updates your phone.

Otherwise, it will probably be Samsung, who has added region/carrier specific modifications to the original Google yakju build for GSM GN.

Fortunately, it's a cake to convert a GSM GN to run yakju build without rooting but just a few simple clicks of the mouse..

How to? Change from yakjuxw to yakju - xda-developers

LTE GN need not worry about this as your phone product is mysid and will be updated by Google.

9. stevehy

stevehy Well-Known Member

Got the 4.0.2 update last week OTA. I have the Google retail build yakju.

kevinaminator likes this.
  10. kevinaminator

kevinaminator Newbie

I tried following the instructions you gave in the 2nd post in that thread, but every time I install the USB drivers, I get a message saying that drivers install failed. Is this normal?

EDIT: I just went ahead anyway, it went OK. Thanks!

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews