• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GSM vs. CDMA for Battery Life

AJ McKay

Apr 18, 2010
Based on this thread in another forum (2.1 users what is your Time without a signal %" [Archive] - xda-developers) I did both the Airplane trick and the following:

The problem is a bug in a lot of 2.1 roms out there now.
There is a fix:
1) Go to dialer, put in *#*#4636#*#*
2) Press Phone Information
3) Press Menu, and pick Select Radio Band (ITS NORMAL TO GET A FORCE CLOSE)
4) Go down and change GSM Auto(PRL) to CDMA Auto (PRL)

Both made my Juice Plotter (JD) increase in battery time left.

Tried this, will see how it is tomorrow after a full charge tonight and then try the turning mobile networks off and see how that works for next day. Step by step will give better results as to what may be better battery life for everyone.

I'm approaching 24 hours since my last charge with moderate usage. If this is what I can expect out of the regular battery I'll be fine with it.

Upvote 0
Down to 60% battery usage, 15hrs up time with 1 hour awake time. 60% cell standby, 33% phone idle, 5% wifi, 2% android.

I haven't used it at all but to check the battery. So far the above trick is of no use in my eyes. If it gets down to 30% by 8pm which it looks like it will, then this doesn't result in any better performance.

Upvote 0
i can't figure this out..do you put in this number as if you would call it? i don't see where it says phone information...

Yes you do. *#*#4636#*#* and as soon as you press the last * it will pull up the menu listing. The menu menu at the top should be Phone Information. If you have a different screen popup, you need to use the back button ( It remembers which screen you were last at, and opens to that one when you next dial it. )

Also, after having entered it once, if you are at your home screen you can hold down the home button and a window will pop up with recently run items. This one will be called "Testing", just press that and it opens it right up instead of having to dial the number.

Upvote 0
Based on this thread in another forum (2.1 users what is your Time without a signal %" [Archive] - xda-developers) I did both the Airplane trick and the following:

The problem is a bug in a lot of 2.1 roms out there now.
There is a fix:
1) Go to dialer, put in *#*#4636#*#*
2) Press Phone Information
3) Press Menu, and pick Select Radio Band (ITS NORMAL TO GET A FORCE CLOSE)
4) Go down and change GSM Auto(PRL) to CDMA Auto (PRL)

Both made my Juice Plotter (JD) increase in battery time left.

This doesn't make a lot of sense as by default, my phone was already CDMA/Auto once I got to the Phone Information screen. Once I pressed menu then Radio Band, it then defaulted to GSM and I had to change it back. I suspect that if everyone looked before doing step 3 they would most likely see the phone is set to CDMA/Auto.

Upvote 0
This doesn't make a lot of sense as by default, my phone was already CDMA/Auto once I got to the Phone Information screen. Once I pressed menu then Radio Band, it then defaulted to GSM and I had to change it back. I suspect that if everyone looked before doing step 3 they would most likely see the phone is set to CDMA/Auto.

I noticed the same thing. If you scroll down when you get to Phone Information, you can see this. And each time you do the Select Radio Band, it shows GSM Auto as the default. I think it shows this because it is at the top of the list.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones