1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Gsm/wcdma

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Nikkoko, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Nikkoko

Nikkoko Newbie
    None

Apr 28, 2012
    My battery drains in like 3 hrs, idk what the problem is, but thats not what I wanna ask wbout. I have suspicions that when a phone swiches between gsm and wcdma the battery drains faster, my phone switches like crazy! is that maybe tha cause of my drain?? what do u thinkkk???

Advertisement

2. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    The phone isn't going to switch between GSM and CDMA. They're two different networks. It would be like a radio switching between AM and FM.

3. Nikkoko

Nikkoko Newbie
    None

Apr 28, 2012
    The phone IS swiitching between GSM and WCDMA when its set on auto, even if they are 2 different networks they still are used for the same purpose almost

4. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    CDMA is a generic term for any Code Division Multiple Access system, but there is a difference between CDMA and WCDMA when we're talking about android handsets.

A "GSM" 3G phone actually has 2 different air interfaces: GSM for 2G and WCDMA for 3G (also referred to as UMTS). So it's perfectly possible that Nikkoko's phone is switching like crazy between the two.

A "CDMA" phone is one that uses a CDMA interface for both 2G and 3G, and will be operating on completely different cellular networks. So I expect this is the source of A.Nonymous's confusion.

There is even at least one handset that has both GSM and CDMA (as opposed to WCDMA) interfaces.

Right, tech discussion over.

Nikkiko, if the phone is switching like crazy it probably means that your 3G cover is weak. The phone loses contact, falls back to GSM, but has a bias towards 3G so switches to WCDMA when it next detects it. And you are absolutely right that this will drain power quickly. Setting the phone to use 2G only when in areas of weak coverage should fix this, but of course you lose 3G data access when in that mode.

Shadowlights and lunatic59 like this.
  5. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Nikkoko, I have a suggestion you could try.

Open the phone's dialer and type the following string: *#*#4636#*#*
    On many phones this will open a "hidden" app with 4 different information menus. Select "Phone Info" and scroll down, and there will be a "Set Preferred network type" field. Setting it to "GSM Auto (PRL)" rather than "WCDMA Preferred" will still let it switch but may make it less aggressive about seeking WCDMA in a weak area, so may save power. Might be worth a try.

Don't try changing anything else in that menu though!