• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GTA III on the Triumph?

rubejb

Android Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2010
So they just released GTA III onto the Market. I was shocked but overwhelmingly pleased to see that it listed the Triumph as being compatible.

I bought it without hesitation. However, I've had a few games (mainly from Gameloft) that say they are compatible in the Market but once you run them they say that they aren't compatible and to request a refund, Backstab is the first one that comes to mind.

So, as I patiently wait for my nearly 500 meg download to complete, I'm wondering: has anyone downloaded it yet? Did it run? Did it run well? Also, if it did run, are you using a custom ROM or stock?

Yeah, I know the touch screen controls are less than ideal for this sort of game, but I can look past them for such an awesome game.

I'll report back if the game ran or not.

It works!

Ok, so first thing to note is that it's not as buttery smooth as everyone would like, but being a long-time PC gamer that's always slightly behind on the times with my tech, I can look past the stuttering.

And although I'm rooted and have CM7 installed, I haven't bothered trying to overclock since I have never needed to. I may dabble with it now to get GTA running smoother.

The onscreen controls, as I imagined, aren't great but workable.

I've only had a few minutes to play around (have to do some work :( ) so I don't know if there are any issues other than some stuttering here and there.

I'm personally overjoyed that one of my favorite gaming series is now on Android in it's full glory!

Upvote 0
I would suggest that you download the new drivers for the Andreo 205, they are somewhere around here....

AH!
[DEV] Adreno 205 EGL(Graphic) Driver Update - xda-developers
And for it relating to the Triumph:
http://androidforums.com/triumph-all-things-root/449772-road-android-ics-4-0-triumph-6.html

THIS ONLY WORKS ON CM7, for now.

Interesting... thanks for the suggestion. But with my brief browsing of the two links you sent me, one (the XDA one) says it only works for Samsung devices. And the one dealing with the Triumph doesn't seem to be all that reassuring that it works.

I'm all for trying out things that will boost the performance, but unless I read something solid, I'll stay away from this update.

Thanks!

edit:

Ah, I see you pretty much asked for the info on installing it in the ICS thread.

Upvote 0
Interesting... thanks for the suggestion. But with my brief browsing of the two links you sent me, one (the XDA one) says it only works for Samsung devices. And the one dealing with the Triumph doesn't seem to be all that reassuring that it works.

I'm all for trying out things that will boost the performance, but unless I read something solid, I'll stay away from this update.

Thanks!

edit:

Ah, I see you pretty much asked for the info on installing it in the ICS thread.

I thought CM7 was already enhanced to a safe point. Isn't that why benchmark tests show higher results.

I run 2.2 and seem to have slight lag at times, but that's whenever I play a high performance game after hours of use an no reboot.

Upvote 0
I thought CM7 was already enhanced to a safe point. Isn't that why benchmark tests show higher results.

I run 2.2 and seem to have slight lag at times, but that's whenever I play a high performance game after hours of use an no reboot.

I'm not sure what you mean by enhanced to a safe point.

I never noticed any slow down in the stock 2.2 ROM, so I can't really say if CM7 is faster or whatever.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what you mean by enhanced to a safe point.

I never noticed any slow down in the stock 2.2 ROM, so I can't really say if CM7 is faster or whatever.

I mean it's overclocked to a safe point so the processer doesn't overheat, that's what I thought.

I've noticed it, CM7 is much faster. I'm gonna assume you wouldn't be able to get your Triumph running much faster. It's a single core, the games being made are tested on newer phones, dual cores. The lag isn't that bad for me. You should be fine eapecially on CM7. Just do reboots if your phone has been on for a while and you plan to play high performance games.

Upvote 0
I mean it's overclocked to a safe point so the processer doesn't overheat, that's what I thought.

I've noticed it, CM7 is much faster. I'm gonna assume you wouldn't be able to get your Triumph running much faster. It's a single core, the games being made are tested on newer phones, dual cores. The lag isn't that bad for me. You should be fine eapecially on CM7. Just do reboots if your phone has been on for a while and you plan to play high performance games.
CM7 is not overclocked unless you do it yourself.

Upvote 0

CM7 is faster due to optimizations in the software. CM7 does not overclock the cpu. you CAN overclock it, but it does not overclock unless you set that yourself.

also, CM7 is built on gingerbread which has a multitude of upgrades in the core of the OS that make the entire experience smoother and make games run better.

Reactions: agentc13
Upvote 0
All games will run on the triumph as long as you have the Thunderbolt prop flashed on your device. I got a few Gameloft games and got GTA 3. All games I play run without compatibilty issues. My Skype even allows my front camera to work with the Thunderbolt prop.

I missed this post the first time I looked through the thread... what is this Thunderbolt prop you speak of? Can you give me a link?

And is there any downside to it?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
CM7 is faster due to optimizations in the software. CM7 does not overclock the cpu. you CAN overclock it, but it does not overclock unless you set that yourself.

also, CM7 is built on gingerbread which has a multitude of upgrades in the core of the OS that make the entire experience smoother and make games run better.

^^^ this, and it doesn't mean there aren't any optimizations left on CM7 (work on it stopped about a month ago). So it's possible that newer, more optimized drivers for Adreno 205 come from the manufacturers since then. But according to the discussion the ICS thread, nobody has gotten the new drivers installed correctly and working on the MT yet.

Upvote 0
Nice! I was thinking of picking up the Triumph in a few months unless something better comes along to VM. It is good to hear that it will run GTA3 :D

Yeah, I was excited to see it worked as well. I will again note that it is far from smooth. The framerate chugs along quite often. And now that I've had more time to play, it actually pauses for a few seconds, almost seeming to lock up. It only does this occasionally, and maybe it'll get fixed with a patch, but I don't want to suggest that it's working perfectly.

Perhaps if I get brave I'll OC my phone. Or maybe someone will get the new video drivers working and it'll improve.

I'm still tickled to have a full-blown GTA game on Android!

Upvote 0
You could prolly overclock to 1.5ghz and your stuttering would stop.
also the default governor is prolly causing the pauses you talk about. I would deff install a custom kernel.

I did install the custom kernel for CM7, but I'm still a little green on the whole overclocking thing. Most of the threads I've seen people talking about OCing, they've suggesting using Smartassv2. Is that what I should use?

Upvote 0
either that or the ondemand Governor... and remember, we assume a safe overclock is around 1.3-1.6ghz.

bold is my edit-AC13
Fixed. :p

I know I have said this way too many times, but nobody has tested it in a very conclusive and long term manner. Your guess is probably right (I overclock to 1.4), but make sure you are willing to risk frying your processor if you are wrong. Otherwise don't overclock.

Upvote 0
either that or the ondemand Governor... and remember, a safe overclock is around 1.3-1.6ghz.

I would suggest Interactive over ondemand, where performance matters more than battery savings. Ondemand is basically slow to react both ramping up & down, so it's neutral. Interactive is more quick to ramp up (and probalby smartassv2 too), slower to ramp down. But either way games pretty much load the CPU all the time, so whatever governor is being used, it's at the max frequency most of the time anyway.

Upvote 0
I missed this post the first time I looked through the thread... what is this Thunderbolt prop you speak of? Can you give me a link?

And is there any downside to it?

Thanks!

http://androidforums.com/triumph-al...-prop-market-access-updated-12-10-2011-a.html

There is no downside that I know of. You will be able to access games from the market you wouldn't be able to access with the Triumph Prop, and it will run games with no compatibility issues, at least all of the games I've tried, and that includes Gameloft games.

The thread recently got updated this month, I didn't know about it so I'm gonna update mine as we speak. Good luck.

Reactions: rubejb
Upvote 0
http://androidforums.com/triumph-al...-prop-market-access-updated-12-10-2011-a.html

There is no downside that I know of. You will be able to access games from the market you wouldn't be able to access with the Triumph Prop, and it will run games with no compatibility issues, at least all of the games I've tried, and that includes Gameloft games.

The thread recently got updated this month, I didn't know about it so I'm gonna update mine as we speak. Good luck.

Thanks for this. It seems to be working great so far. At least Backstab HD now no longer says the game is incompatible.

Had an odd thing happen though. When I rebooted after updating the Thunderbolt prop, my app drawer was completely empty except for Backstab in Launcher Pro Plus. I went into the regular launcher, same thing. I also had Go Launcher EX installed, and that drawer was full. Then I went back to LPP and it's drawer had come back too.

Odd, but it's working.

Upvote 0
Thanks for this. It seems to be working great so far. At least Backstab HD now no longer says the game is incompatible.

Had an odd thing happen though. When I rebooted after updating the Thunderbolt prop, my app drawer was completely empty except for Backstab in Launcher Pro Plus. I went into the regular launcher, same thing. I also had Go Launcher EX installed, and that drawer was full. Then I went back to LPP and it's drawer had come back too.

Odd, but it's working.

If it was right after you rebooted it can take a bit for all your apps to load. That's probably what it was

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones