• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GTalk HELP - I can send but not receive messages

calaski8123

May 13, 2010
I posted this in the All Things Root forum as well, but I don;t think it is a root issue so I am going to post it here too...

After the Verizon Froyo update screwed up my phone, I downgraded, rooted and installed the Virtuous v2.6 ROM. Phone works great now except for one thing and I am not sure if it is a google contacts problem or because I rooted the phone.

My GTalk doesn't work right. I can send messages and the other person will receive them but I cannot receive any messages.

I have removed contacts and reinvited them and have had my friends do the same. I can get the invite OK but no messages. I can't figure it out.

I thought it might have something to do with my contacts. After rooting and installing the custom ROM, I accidentally deleted my user info/backup on my SD card so I had to reinstall all my apps and data, which is OK with me.

I did an HTC Sync with my Outlook and imported all my contacts. I then tried to sync with Gmail contacts but the contacts would not sync. I got a red ! and an error that says "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly". I can sync Gmail and the Google Calendar fine.

since I wasn't able to sync my Gmail contacts, I went to Gmail and deleted ALL my contacts there and I still couldnt sync. BUT- I did notice that all my GTalk contacts disappeared except for a few... So I deleted them as well and exported my contacts from Outlook to a CVS file and imported them to Gmail. The GTalk contacts did not reappear.

On my phone, only a few GTalk contacts were there but I couldn't talk to them.

I really don't think it is the root and ROM but I don't know. Can anyone help please?

I have a HTC Incredible

Jim

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones