1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

gTalk problems... annoying ones.

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by janpetras, Jul 15, 2011.

1. janpetras

janpetras Well-Known Member
    None

May 24, 2011
    ~/jan/
    So I have this awkward problem with gTalk.
    Let's say I talk with someone on gTalk on the mobile. If I open up the laptop or if I'm already online on the laptop and start chatting there then the phone stops buzzing me with new messages. It knows that I'm now on the laptop.

However, this only happens with some contacts, with others, it doesn't matter if I start chatting on the computer, the phone keeps behaving like I receive new messages and continues notifying me for each new incoming line, which is... more than annoying in a conversation.

Anyone knows how can I fix this? How can I make gTalk realize that I'm now chatting with that person on the computer and that it can stop buzzing me?

Advertisement

2. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    You can briefly turn off data on the phone to be "offline" to Google Chat.

3. janpetras

None

May 24, 2011
    ~/jan/
    I know but I don't want to do that each time. I would very much like to understand why it works for some contacts and doesn't for others.

Talking with friend X - I can go to my laptop and continue talking there, and the phone just... shuts up.

Talking with friend Y - No way, both my laptop and my phone are notifying me of incoming messages.

WHY!!!!??? :)))

4. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    Good question. It's probably one of those random things that we may never know the answer to, because it's all on the server side, and we don't have admin rights to the Google servers.

5. janpetras

None

May 24, 2011
    ~/jan/
    it sucks that it only works for some people and not for all... i wonder whyyyyyyyyyyyy
    and it also sucks that if i put my phone on mute the chat keeps going and going and it keeps using data...

data off is not an options, there's other apps i need data access for not just gtalk