1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Gtalk Video Coming in Next OTA Update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tbhausen, Sep 23, 2011.

1. tbhausen

tbhausen Android Enthusiast

New build leaked on XDA developers site (build 198) includes Gtalk video. I've installed it and everything is working except my outbound mic... I'm researching that.

Advertisement

2. drexappeal

drexappeal Extreme Android User

Another update coming, again? And some thought Motorola's support wasn't good...LOL. Awesome!

3. Draiko

Draiko Well-Known Member

Whoa! Best news I've heard all day!

4. tbhausen

I re-flashed the leaked 198 build--still no outbound audio with Gtalk voice or video chat. Could be something else on my phone... don't want to hard-reset yet until I learn more.

5. Citizen Coyote

Citizen Coyote Android Enthusiast

Awesome. I'm going to assume whatever bug is affecting your mic gets worked out before release.

6. bupolo

bupolo Android Enthusiast

That's what happens when Google purchases Motorola for $12.5 Billion. I bet the Photon ends up being the most well supported phone for awhile.

7. simcha

simcha Android Enthusiast

Wow, yet another coup for the MoPho. I'm glad I stuck with this phone. The support blows me away. And as an added layer I love the Motorola Support Forums. Motorola really seems to stand behind their products unlike another company that shall remain nameless for the moment. ;-)

8. drexappeal

But I actually heard lots of good reports about Motorola, prior to the google purchase, so it really doesn't surprise me. What surprises me are the people that had been knocking Motorola's support, prior to the MoPho release.

And it's already shown that Motorola's support is extremely strong (I wouldn't doubt if Google already started flexing their muscles in helping Motorola support their Android devices), especially considering that the MoPho is nowhere near as hyped as other phones in the market.

Jay47 likes this.
  9. tbhausen

I hard-reset my phone, re-flashed build 198, and the Gtalk mic problem remains... Hope they can track this down, because it's gonna be really nice when it's working.

10. ljbad4life

ljbad4life Well-Known Member

I'm glad that our MoPho is being supported. I was convinced I made the right choice when motorola released an update that squashed all of my issues in less than a month of me owning the phone.

I'm glad google talk is getting video, next we need is skype

11. Draiko

Draiko Well-Known Member

Skype is an interesting story. They kept saying (at one point) that the Tegra 2 wasn't able to do Skype video (Lack of NEON). Funny thing is that nVidia showed their own Skypekit client running HD video on an Acer iconia (Tegra 2) back in January.

Soooo... Skype is being a hot bowl of d!cks but nobody knows why.

12. tbhausen

Keep your eyes on XDA, guys. Good news coming tomorrow ;)

13. simcha

Oh come on! Give us the gossip... I can't stand suspense. Please? :p

Sent from my MoPho 4g

14. tbhausen

It's fully functional on my MoPho right now--I've already tested it with numerous others... Watch XDA development forum over next 24 hours. You heard it here, first :D

PS: Please be patient... The guy over there that makes this sort of thing happen will come through--no need to bother him :) Not sure if it's the "next" OTA, but Gtalk and the GPS bug I reported are fixed.

Motorola support of this phone ROCKS!

15. tbhausen

You can even switch from the front cam to the rear cam "on the fly" (the Sensation (others?) can't do that... It's a BLAST with a decent signal! And you can text chat on top of the video!

16. simcha

Yay! Motorola and the MoPho have reminded me that these phones can be fun. I'm overjoyed at the stellar level of support that Motorola provides. I hope that it only gets better as Google takes things over. I grew up just a couple of miles away from Mototola World Headquarters in Schaumburg, IL. There's some level of local pride in this for me too.

17. tbhausen

198_6 is posted to xda, and has been running perfectly for me for nearly 24 hours. Boldly go forth MoPho'ers... If you flash, don't touch or disconnect the phone from RSDlite until it completely reboots and OTA activates itself.

Follow the instructions VERY carefully.

ENJOY :D

simcha, ljbad4life and drexappeal like this.
  18. ljbad4life

ljbad4life Well-Known Member

I think I will wait for motorola to release it. I am too afraid of messing my phone up lol. It's not that far away, but it looks like motorola is dedicated to supporting the photon and was a huge factor of picking a photon over a SG2

19. tbhausen

It's EASY to do, with little or no risk.

20. tlaz

tlaz Lurker

Did they fix the proximity sensor issue in this OTA update? That's my biggest pet peeve for this phone - which is a pretty minor thing, but enough to be annoying. MoPho Rocks!

21. drexappeal

Proximity sensor issue? I haven't noticed an issue with that since the 1st update was released.

22. djmiked

djmiked Newbie

Mine too. Proximity sensor works great UNTIL I use Bluetooth in my car. After that, the screen will not shut off when I am on a regular call and hold the phone up to my face. If I do not use bluetooth in my car, I never have this problem. A simple reboot fixes the problem until the next time.

23. CoachEVO

CoachEVO Well-Known Member

Yes...I have this issue as well and it is the bluetooth that does it. The only problem that I've read about is that Motorola doesn't acknowledge it is an issue. It is minor, but something that should work nonetheless. I love this phone...blows my "old" EVO out of the water. :D

24. drexappeal

Thanks for posting the info up about the issue coming up after bluetooth has been used. I've never had the issue, but good to see when people have noticed the issue, just in the hopes that Motorola will see it as a bigger issue once more people report it.

25. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter
    Administrator

Yes, Motorola has always been on it when it comes to updates/ota's. With the exception being samsung (in most cases) Android manufacturers (Moto and Htc) are awesome when it comes to this.

Before the merger google made an agreement with major manufacturers that phones would be updated up to 18 months after release. With a little luck that means the MoPho and newly released devices see Ics and AT LEAST whatever comes after:)