1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root guidance from going rooted 2.2 to 2.3

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by talevo, Jun 7, 2011.

1. talevo

talevo Member
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    Originally rooted with unrevoked. Notice this new 2.3 OTA is available. I did a little digging around and it seems the best way to update is just flash the rooted 2.3 stock rom (I prefer using stock). If this is correct, what's the deal with the radio flashes?

I'm making a backup right now with clockworkmod 2.6.0.1 and it backs up my wimax keys right?

What are the radio flashes for and do I need to do them to get updated coverage or something? I don't quite understand those.

Thanks

Advertisement

Napsterito likes this.
  2. dgrobe2112

dgrobe2112 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 11, 2010
    Male
    Waco, TX
    i did the exact same thing you did, i have not flashed the new radio or wimax.. the phone works great.. i did not do a full wipe of the sd card.. just the davlik, and the cache.. not factory reset..

it worked perfect.. nothing is gone, no apps are gone.. contacts all there.. phone seems to last longer on battery.. and is overall better responsive wise

Mr. Ed likes this.
  3. talevo

talevo Member
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    Change of plans. I need to send this current Evo in for warranty replacement. The phone randomly rebooted itself in the middle of a conversation so I'm getting it replaced before it becomes more of a problem. It's free on our business plan and costs nothing.

So I need to unroot right? I used unrevoked forever. I'm assuming I just follow the "unroot" guides?

4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    Yeah use the dummies guide here found in the rooting sticky. there is a unrooting section that will give you the steps. Basically you flash the s-on tool then you use the PC36IMG file to give you the stock rom and recovery.

5. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Android Expert
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    I don't think I'd freak out with one random reboot on a rooted phone. Try reinstalling your rom or trying a different one. I know you said you prefer to stay with a stock rom but I'm amazed with mikg. Don't be afraid to try a few and find one you like.

6. talevo

talevo Member
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    Alright, new phone is in my hands and rooted. Working on getting all my stuff back on there.

So I'm going to upgrade to 2.3 now (where I was originally) do I need to flash the radios? dgrobe2112 said he did not.

I guess I just need to know if it's recommended or required to do the radios and what will I get if I do/don't.

Thanks

7. talevo

talevo Member
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    Well I went ahead and flashed the radios pc36img.zip. Everything seems working and normal so far. I do have a nandroid in case I need to roll back.

8. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Mechanical Engineer for GE Nuclear
    NC
    sorry...radios work either way with the 2.3.3. It wasnt necessary but some have mentioned better battery life so :cool:

the nandroid does not include radios, if you want to change radios you will need to flash different radios.

Tags: