• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[GUIDE][BASIC][WIP] Rooting and ROMs for Newbies!

Im new to samsung and im having issues flashing cm10. I flashed the gb28 kernel with agats but that keeps throwing up a status 7 everytime I try flashing cm10.1. Ive seen other places where people use twrp to flash cm10.1 but I cant find where to get that or how to flash it anywhere

TWRP can be found here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/30208299/SGS2-VMU-DEV/TWRP/openrecovery-twrp-2.4.0.0-d710-CM10.zip

When installing CM10 be sure you have an ICS or older modem such as FJ12 or FL26. To check what modem you have go to System Settings and About Phone and look at the Baseband version. GB28 modem will NOT work with CM10.

You can try flashing another repack kernel to use to install CM10 if the GB28 repack isn't working for you.

Upvote 0
Trying to get root on GB28 at the moment...Not working.

Opted for the NoData Restore
Installed Samsung Drivers
Boot into Download Mode
Odin sees the USB Port
I press start, then it fails in 30seconds.

Trying the full restore option now I suppose...

They both fail for meeee! What am I doing wrong? Hangs on "SetupConnection"

Upvote 0
Hello, I'm in need of some help. First I'd like to say thank you, TheBritton, for all the work that you have done. It was thanks to you that I was able to root my VM SG2 when I bought it in the first place. Now, about 9ish months later, I need to unroot and return this thing to a perfect stock version and I'm having trouble with it.

When I first rooted, from what I understand, I flashed a new kernel, something to do with AGAT Recovery, I don't know, I'm a noob. From what I understand, I never changed the ROM. Now I have used ODIN and the resources your provided to restore it to the stock ROM. However, it seems nothing has changed? The phone is still definitely rooted. I tried to download the links and such in the guide (the FJ12 ICS Rooted/Unrooted Stock link) but it seems most of the links on that page are broken and one seemed to download some completely random and unrelated file in place of the one I needed. Using the last link under the FJ12 column (FJ12 ICS Stock Kernel) did not remove the root.

I need to get my phone back to stock in every way possible. Please help?

Model Number SPH-D710VMUB
Android version 4.0.4
Baseboard Version S:D710.10 S.FJ12
Kernel version 3.0.15-1135978
Build Number IMM75I.FJ12
Hardware Version D710.10

Edit: Now, when booting into recovering mode, it's back to the android recovery rather than the agat thing, but when trying to wipe data, I get this error: "E:file is written: not updated".

Upvote 0
I've tried the GB28 download twice now. I keep getting trapped into forced downloads of apps I don't want.when I decline, i get dropped without the GB28 package.
How can I get the GB28 root package without a computer full of junk add ons??

Hold the phone. I found the later link to rwilco12's source and am downloading now. There are two files. I better read the whole rwilco12 post to figure out what to do next.

Upvote 0
I need a little guidance to install rooted GB28. DO I use ODIN and the proper tar file? couldn't find a guide for the original upgrade to jellybean using ODIN. I must have used the direct upgrade link.

Does the tar file name go in the "Phone" space?

Sorry to be such a wuss, but I'm scared to death of the brick!!
Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
TheBritton (or anyone else who can definitively answer this - I see that TheBritton has moved on to a new phone and may not be around so much... ) :

I'm new to installing ROMs, have only ever rooted my old Samsung Prevail, no other mods. I read in one of your posts (TheBritton) your "heads up" warning to only use the procedures in this thread if your phone is VirginMobile or Sprint SPH-D710. I have the BoostMobile version. Would these methods work for me also??

I'm also wondering if someone can tell me if MobileOdin works for this just as well as regular PC ODIN. I'm having bigtime difficulties with my PC not recognizing when I connect the phone to it via USB tether, and MobileOdin seems like it would help me get around this issue, if it is a reliable app.

Thanks in advance for any input on these two questions...

Robert....

Upvote 0
I need a little guidance to install rooted GB28. DO I use ODIN and the proper tar file? couldn't find a guide for the original upgrade to jellybean using ODIN. I must have used the direct upgrade link.

Does the tar file name go in the "Phone" space?

Sorry to be such a wuss, but I'm scared to death of the brick!!
Thanks in advance.

The Odin One-Click for the rooted GB28 build does not require you to use Odin and select a file. The One-Click basically IS an Odin package that installs the rom in a much simpler way.

What you will need to do is download the OneClick from here: [ROM][ODIN][TAR]SPH-D710VMUB GB28 (GB28 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Root/Stock)

It has two options. Full data restore and no data restore. Full data restore will wipe all of your data and you will have to install applications, etc again unless you have backed up your information in some way. No Data restore will retain your data while installing the ROM. If you run into issues with the No Data restore, then you will want to do a full data restore and start from scratch.

Once you download the package you want (full data restore or no data restore), but you phone into download mode and open up the OneClick EXE file. Plug in your phone and hit start. You're done! :)

Upvote 0
TheBritton (or anyone else who can definitively answer this - I see that TheBritton has moved on to a new phone and may not be around so much... ) :

I'm new to installing ROMs, have only ever rooted my old Samsung Prevail, no other mods. I read in one of your posts (TheBritton) your "heads up" warning to only use the procedures in this thread if your phone is VirginMobile or Sprint SPH-D710. I have the BoostMobile version. Would these methods work for me also??

I'm also wondering if someone can tell me if MobileOdin works for this just as well as regular PC ODIN. I'm having bigtime difficulties with my PC not recognizing when I connect the phone to it via USB tether, and MobileOdin seems like it would help me get around this issue, if it is a reliable app.

Thanks in advance for any input on these two questions...

Robert....

The ROMs mentioned in this guide are specifically for Virgin Mobile USA.

The One-Click stock roms both rooted and unrooted are packaged for Virgin Mobile and are the roms that will work for those devices so it is best to avoid all of these Odin packages as a method to root your device.

However, the Boost Mobile Galaxy S2 can be easily rooted. The guide over at the Boost forum can be found here: http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-...oot-guide-boost-mobile-samsung-galaxy-s2.html

As for Mobile Odin, I have used it a few times to flash kernels and I had no issues with it.

Upvote 0
I know this is a little late in rooting, I just got a used VM SG2 FL26. I was looking for all the files I would need for rooting, but apparently all the links here point to sxtpdevelopers.com which according to the page there now the domain expired August 17th this year. Is there somewhere else I can go to get these files?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones