• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Guide] Bluetooth pairing - (Samsung Galaxy Prevail) Should Work For other Phones.

Rarewolf

Android Expert
Jan 11, 2012
CaliFornia, Azusa
Bluetooth Pairing For PC, Phone and Accesories:
Hello Everyone,
I finally got my Prevail To Connect With My PC! YAY!

so this is what i suggest you do.
and yes it will be simple.
and it will be formatted in a step by step (FRom the VERY Beginning)

And please remember to save up.
And have your software handy to reinstall.
Please and thank you.

if you already tried connecting your phone to your PC and it failed this can help too.

follow this guide only by your own risk.
i am not forcing you to try this.
and always make backups (of programs, hone images, computer backups)
if you feel uncomfertable doing things on your own then it is highly suggested you do them.

make sure to choose your devices name before you start. (Where To On Step 2)

1) put both your phone and computer in pairing mode.

Note: Go to settings > Wireless & Networks > Bluetooth Settings > (Tap On) Discoveralble.

2) Scan For Devices.
Note: Make sure you know YOUR device names that you plan to connect to.

Go to settings > Wireless & Networks > Bluetooth Settings > (Tap On) Device Name.

+If you Ever Decide to change your devices name you might (meaning you will) have to re-pair all your devices. make sure to choose your devices name before you start.

3) Select your Device To Pair With!

after you scan for devices a list should pop up find the name of your device.
if you do not know the name of it.
either go into the devices bluetooth pairing, or use the users guide to your bluetooth product.

+ PC Pairing: in my personal opinion i would suggest you pair from your PC by:
either going to your bluetooth software or by.
Right-clicking on your bluetooths tray application and selecting "Add Device"
Note: For My Widdcom 2.1 Bluetooth i can right-click again and a popup menu comes out of the phone i select.
go to: Properties> Services
a List Of things Your Phone Could Do is listed (these are the drivers for each thing)
select all that apply to you, it would be recommended you choose all of them.
once you click apply the pairing should start.

4) Pairing Codes:

Some Devices Have a Preset Pairing Code (mainly bluetooth Headsets)
some devices Have Generated Pairing Codes (Like Computers, i believe its for protection to your PC)
and Some devices can let YOU choose your own pairing code.
some dont have any code at all...

if your device has a preset code:
Look up the bluetooth settings in the user manual.
enter the preset code and accet pairing.

If your Device Has a Generated Code: look on Both of the Devices Screens, Make Sure Both Of The Codes Match Up, But Do it quick or else the pairing WILL fail. once you can tell that it does match up accept pairing.

If You Can Make Your Own Code:
i would suggest something easy to remember.
for example "9999".
you will have to enter this code for BOTH devices.
and then accept pairing.

If your Device Does NOT have a Code:
well you can always try "0000" (default code for many devices).

Hope this helps people that want to or need to have their bluetooth connected.
one more thing.

ENJOY!

Reactions: kevincott
O.P (Keeping This As A Note To others, one day even noobs can contribute something)

i have a Samsung Galaxy Prevail (rooted from the help of your forums)
and i recently bought a bluetooth headset which worked marvelously.

but...
now i want to connect to my computer with bluetooth.
the first time it was actually connecting and it asked to make a pair code. which i did..
and it said it was incorrect.
ive done the restarting and everything i can think of.
but no luck.

i was able to install the bluetooth drivers.
but i still cannot pair my two devices.

i was wondering if there was a way to manually set up a pairing code, or reset the connection between the two.
keep in mind i already deleted the phone from devices, turned off the bluetooth adapter
restarted the phone.
any thing i missed?

i really want to use my computers headset while i play my games, so i dont have to stop.
the pairing worked with an old samsung phone from metroPCS
it was samsung as well.

i tried deleting the cache and everything else that says bluetooth in the apps (not deleting the apps but the caches).

Upvote 0
is there no one that can help?
maybe reset the connection so as if the two devices never tried to connect?
i tried deleting the cache and everything else that says bluetooth in the apps (not deleting the apps but the caches).
Keep in mind I dont have bluetooth on my computer.

If you try putting the phone in discoverable mode and do a scan using the computer it should find the device right? the pair code should show up on the screen but sometimes they go by very fast. I paired my prevail to my old optimus and I had to try it twice because the pairing screen came up then dropped off.
for most devices the pair code is 0000 but if not they will tell you on the screen.

Reactions: Rarewolf
Upvote 0
Keep in mind I dont have bluetooth on my computer.

If you try putting the phone in discoverable mode and do a scan using the computer it should find the device right? the pair code should show up on the screen but sometimes they go by very fast. I paired my prevail to my old optimus and I had to try it twice because the pairing screen came up then dropped off.
for most devices the pair code is 0000 but if not they will tell you on the screen.

Ill try it like that.
but I seriously doubt its gonna work..
Im not dissing you.
Its just that I tried connecting both ways already, the thing is the pairing code window doesnt want to pop up anymore. (i got lucky enough to have it pop up twice but no luck getting it again so far)

DUB-POST:
well i tried it again and it didnt work even after a week it still says that the pair code is wrong.
and it doesnt let it pair at all or connect for that matter.

Upvote 0
In response to this thread I pulled out the Bluetooth dongle I bought months ago.

Setting my Dell XPS (Win7) on discover and my Prevail on scan, I was connected in seconds. My pair codes worked fine (created one code on Prevail deleted connection then created one on Dell, both codes worked).

The process will not complete, my Dell sees my Prevail but says there is no driver. Have checked various sources and have not found a driver.

Side note, I KNOW I transfered contacts from an old cell phone via bluetooth and worked fine.

Also please realize that Android Forums will not always have an answer, it is unfair to EXPECT answers when we may not have one.

Reactions: Rarewolf
Upvote 0
Samsung Galaxy Prevail Wholesale Mini Nova Bluetooth V2.0 EDR Converter Dongle Wireless Adapter
This claims not to need drivers... Tho i have not tried it, but for under $5 worth a shot

Also, AF will ALWAYS (eventually) provide answers. Sometimes 'you're boned' may be only relevant answer. BUT it IS an answer lol (note: this 'answer' may come in the form of silence, USUALLY indicative of being boned, or asking q's answered 100 times over) :p

Also, i found that link in <5 min
THANKS GOOGLE

Edit: just noticed the link requires min. Purchase of 10 :/ but the technology IS there

Re-Edit: http://www.accessorywiz.com/hco/min...apter-for-boost-mobile-samsung-galaxy-prevail this site sells them individually, and they areunder $20

Upvote 0
I don't use Bluetooth much, but I have two Dongles and two earpieces. Plus my Garmin GPS and various phones over the years that had it.

I have had it pair easy and not at all. Have really not had much luck since I switched to my new Win7 laptop. Used to work great with XP. But, it it's not a big priority with me. Except once I had to transfer over 300 business contacts to a cheap flip phone from an old Win Mobile smartphone (don't ask) and I had to fight with it but finally got it to work. I was persistent because, I would have had to key them in and Verizon said it could not be done. At two different stores.

The point is, I don't know. But tomorrow afternoon I will get out my Bluetooth dongles and see what happens.

But again, I am low on the list of people on this forum with Bluetooth Knowledge. But, I will check it out.

My flawed memory is that it is sometimes harder using Win7 for some reason.

Upvote 0
Ok, As promised I spent some time on this today and found out some stuff that might be helpful. I will try to be uncharacteristically concise and not bore you with all the details. Ok, maybe just a few...

Hey, I am using my new dusty laptop instead of PhanDroid for AF for a change! Gonna make it harder to be concise.

My phone is on CM7.1 4BHF3 and I have not tried Bluetooth with it before:

I got my Garmin GPS to pair with the phone flawlessly. Hello HandsFree Calling! This usually works with any Bluetooth Phone that I have had.

I have two Dongles. i bought the newest cheapo one from Amazon because it was supposed to work well with Win7. Well I finally gave up on it. So, it does matter which Dongle you use. That is what she said.

I am using a Dell Win7 Home Edition Laptop bought from Walmart on sale about 6 months ago.

I switched to my old RocketFish (Broadcom chipset), that worked great with my old XP PC and had pretty good results today (after a lot of trial and error). The last time I used it with this laptop, I gave up and bought that other piece of crap from Amazon. That was during the Froyo Epoch.

I was actually trying to pair a cheap work flip phone with Windows to Transfer Pictures to the Laptop, because my employer was too cheap to allow Text Messaging or any easy way to transfer pictures. I knew from past cheap phones could transfer pictures easily using Bluetooth. Sorry, starting to ramble...

One thing I did learn that is helpful. ONCE you have paired, it is a pain to get back to square one. But....I found out that on the Phone, if you LongPress on the PC in the list of Bluetooth Devices, you have the options to Unpair, Disconnect, and Choose Which options to allow.

I have gotten Connect to Phone Audio, and Connect to Media Audio to Work which is what you want, I think

File Transfer might be the one that I would want but it is not listed, although it gives it a pretty good try from the PC side. Might get this to work with some more effort. Not really worth it to me at this time.

I would recommend that you unpair the devices using the above method.

Make sure that your PC is connected to the internet. I had to use the WIFI Tether for my phone as that is my only internet, but it works too. The reason for this is so Win7 can make its usual lame attempt to update your drivers for each Bluetooth Task. 5 or 6 tasks came up on the laptop, but each description was cryptic until it got updated with a driver. Then the function description appeared This actually worked for all but one of them. I went through the troubleshooting to try to get that last one, but it did not work. I am assuming that is the File Transfer. Probably have to get a Driver from RocketFish or Dell or God. Who knows?

Anyway, I do not remember for sure at this point which device I had set to Discover and which one was Broadcasting. This is because I had many false starts trying to get this to work and although I am old, still make the mistake of believing I still have an awesome memory. Finding the unpair option made a big difference and things starting rolling after that, so try both and see what happens.

The big thing is have a GOOD Dongle and if it does not work, unpair and play around some more. It just might work. I know that the two Audio options work and several others were listing as installed but i did not write them down. What is OPP? I thought that was an old RAP song. That is supposed to work too.

If you have any questions, I will try to answer, but maybe someone with more knowledge can take it from here.

Sorry for my failure to take time to Professionally document, as I could have, I am sure. But, what is this anyway? Work? I went though it as fast as I could at the expense of documentation. Bad habit from years of troubleshooting stuff while users tapped their feet and did not care how I fixed it.

Now time for the Disclaimer: I do not know what ROM or version you are running. This was done using CM7. Not sure how much of this works on stock GB.

Have Faith! Good Luck!

Reactions: kevincott
Upvote 0
I've been lucky I guess . I'm Running a Dell N5010 w/ Win7 Home Edition , phone is running CM7 . I went to the Dell site and downloaded all the drivers that they offered and mine paired with no problems what so ever . Actually , I've had no problems pairing any of the devices to my phone ( Motorola earpiece , computer , car , etc. ) .

Reactions: wyelkins
Upvote 0
Thanks, Biker. I might give that a try. For that last Bluetooth service driver that is missing.

I have all of mine except the one that says bluetooth peripheral device . I just can't find that sucker anywhere . Doesn't really matter though . Everything is working as it should . Computer connects to phone and bluetooth headset w/ no problems . Also , when the phone is paired with the computer , it's kinda neat getting a phone call and talking to the caller through the computers mic and speakers . :D

Upvote 0
I have all of mine except the one that says bluetooth peripheral device . I just can't find that sucker anywhere . Doesn't really matter though . Everything is working as it should . Computer connects to phone and bluetooth headset w/ no problems . Also , when the phone is paired with the computer , it's kinda neat getting a phone call and talking to the caller through the computers mic and speakers . :D

Yep. They ALL say Bluetooth Peripheral Device until the driver is loaded. I have one left too.

Have you used it for file transfer?

Upvote 0
Yep. They ALL say Bluetooth Peripheral Device until the driver is loaded. I have one left too.

Have you used it for file transfer?

Transferred files 2 weeks ago , just tried and it was a no go . Troubleshooting now , I'll have ya an answer in a bit . I think I know what's up just gonna take a few to fix it .

Update:
Switched back to CTMOD and it's TRANSFERRING . On computer , make sure both options are connected under "phone operations" in bluetooth control . Had to reboot once to get it to work but it's transferring now . PROBLEM : CM7 reads as a different phone when connected to computer . I think that I know a way around it . Gimme a few and I'll post results . Gotta install CM7 again .

Update:
Ok , installed CM7 and I can drag and drop files to my phone . I just can't transfer files from my phone to computer . The computer reads CM7 differently than CTMOD . With CTMOD , I can open the phone folder in My Computer . With CM7 , I cannot , although I can drag and drop files for transfer . I just have to accept them on the phone . Damn things got me trippin' . LOL . I'll keep working on it . Any input would be appreciated .

Update :
OK , I figured it out ! DUH !!! Went in to Root Explorer , selected file , long press , select send , select bluetooth , select computer ( it says paired but not connected but it is ) . Window on computer pops up and says file received . There . WHEW , I'm done for the night ! :p

Upvote 0
I know what the very last driver is...
Yep! Yah heard me...
Its called sms something.
Basically text message bluetooth driver...

I figured out how to download the drivers but I cannot pair my devices..

Anyways I reset my phone to factory (was trying to recover system apps but didnt work)
But before that I was messing with the bluetooth files.

So I guess I get to start again,

But heres what I did to get ALL the drivers
I put both phone and pc in discovery.
On the computer I did this.

I right clicked system tray icon for bluetooth I went to add new devices
I right clicked on the phone (important) and I went to properties I then checked all matc
The boxes and pressed on, it loaded the drivers but it kept saying my pairing codes were not
Compatible

Upvote 0
Yep. That sounds like what it was doing to me with the cheap Amazon Dongle. It was supposed to be Bluetooth 2.0, more like 0.0 beta.

I think my missing driver problem is a Dell thing. I need to check the Rockfish site if they still exist. Or maybe Broadcom.

I think also, that after I used the phone to unpair the two, I right clicked on the PC icon for the phone and removed the device. I made sure Bluetooth was off during all this too. I rebooted the laptop and phone too.

Probably overkill but I wanted to make sure all the previous pairing debris was gone, so I could start over fresh.

After that, the pairing part was easy with the Rockfish Dongle. I did not even have to type in the code. It displayed it and asked me for verification.

I know in years past, I had to type in the code on some devices.

Of course, in years past the dongle would come with a floppy disk with drivers. Lol.

If you do not have any drivers installed it may pair but not connect. That was the status I was seeing on the phone, until I got the drivers. Of course, it will only show the services available for the drivers that are installed on the PC.

Congrats Wolf! Sounds like you are almost there. Getting the drivers is the toughest part. You will figure out the pairing unless your Dongle is a dud.

Remember, You are Rare, but you are not yet Extinct!

Upvote 0
Just a quick note, a lot of PCs do not have Bluetooth, you can get a USB plug in Bluetooth adapter. Think I got it for like 20 from target. Pretty decent guide. Super easy

I got mine from Walmart (before I started hating them. Don't ask)
For $20 too.
Bluetooth 2.1.
And its basically just the size the USB plug. Made from recycled products or something.

I know some PC's don't come with bt...
Guess I should add that as a side note.

And thanks.
When I first got the prevail I didn't get to connect it properly. And ended up having to find my way on my own. Cause people either paired or didn't.
I found the drivers in the process.
But it wasn't until recently that I decided to reinstall bt software and had it work again. Lolz
PS.
Tried to make it as easy as I could.
Step by step is the best way for that.
Hope it helped you if you were having problems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones