• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] Brick Recovery

Thanks a lot for the guide, it's a lot easier to follow than the other one.

What effect does this have on my phone's interaction with my carrier? That is to say, I shouldn't have to activate my phone, pay again, or get a new number, right? I assume it's not an issue, but I'm pretty new to toying with android phones, so I figure it's best to ask.
Aside from possibly having to reactivate your phone at the points mentioned, there is no impact.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Spocko, thank you for the input, but all of that is in my post. The megalock is included with the flash tool download, I will specifically mention them by name though. I also point out using board mode as opposed to upgrade mode via the screenshot. :)

I will update the driver download also. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: NathanCline
Upvote 0
Okay I tried over and over again to get my phone to boot into recovery mode but it doesn't work. Also that .tot file from MEGA won't download. I appreciate all the help that you've provided already, thank you.
To get into recovery, you have to press and hold Vol - and Power until it says factory reset processing (not real sure why it's says this, but it will not do a factory reset).
Why are you going into recovery? Do you have cwm installed?

Are you getting an error from the tot file download? I have no control over that, but if there's something wrong, I can upload another copy somewhere when I get home.

Last edited:
Reactions: rcolitz
Upvote 0
Yeah, I've been up all night and tried just about everything except another computer, and nothing has worked. Guess I will have to wait till there's a little more info posted in here. Thanks for all your help, though!

Also just realized you mentioned a progress bar in the Flash Tool...I didn't even see anything like that. I see "Waiting for connection" for a few mins then the error message I posted above. What a headache lol!
Can you describe exactly what you are doing? There has to be something wrong with your execution if it's not a configuration problem. You are in download mode and not recovery right? Remember after you ready the flash tool (click the yellow arrow and let it do its thing), you have to unplug and replug the phone to actually start the flash.

The errors you are having are occurring before the progress bar would start moving.

Upvote 0
This could be a stupid question....when installing the zv4, is it necessary to wipe data and dalvik? I have already downgraded to zv3 and rerooted....but I'm getting tired of the system update downloaded message!

Download the zv4 ROM and radio (bottom of first post)

Extract the boot.img from the zv4 ROM.
Boot into recovery and install the ROM and radio.
Install SuperSU again, just to be safe.
Reboot and use Flashify to install boot.img as Boot Image.
If you don't have service, just use ##72786# dialer code to reactivate.
This would be another good time to make a backup in CWM.

Upvote 0
This could be a stupid question....when installing the zv4, is it necessary to wipe data and dalvik? I have already downgraded to zv3 and rerooted....but I'm getting tired of the system update downloaded message!
No, it is an 'update ROM' and can be flashed dirty.

If you would be willing to be a guinea pig, check the new step 1a and let your phone update itself.
(Make a backup first if you wish)
If the person who reported iRoot as a solution is correct, you should be able to root after the OTA update without all this hassle.

Upvote 0
No, it is an 'update ROM' and can be flashed dirty.

If you would be willing to be a guinea pig, check the new step 1a and let your phone update itself.
(Make a backup first if you wish)
If the person who reported iRoot as a solution is correct, you should be able to root after the OTA update without all this hassle.
I will give it a shot when I get home and report back

Upvote 0
I should end up with these 8 files correct.

I want to make sure I have everything before I start doing this stuff.

Screenshot_2015-01-06-15-39-43.png

Upvote 0
Can you describe exactly what you are doing? There has to be something wrong with your execution if it's not a configuration problem. You are in download mode and not recovery right? Remember after you ready the flash tool (click the yellow arrow and let it do its thing), you have to unplug and replug the phone to actually start the flash.

The errors you are having are occurring before the progress bar would start moving.
Like I said, I'm following the steps from the OP EXACTLY. Well, the first 4 or 5 times I was. Did some google searching and saw people have issues with the flash tool when connected to internet and also read that changing the date on the computer would fix any issues. Disconnected WiFi and changed the date. Nope, still nothing.

Basically after loading up the .tot and .dll files in flash tool, I hold volume up, plug phone in and hold until download mode starts (Firmware Update screen, just like the screenshot you posted). Click arrow, it does its thing. Unplug and plug again. Flash tool then says "Waiting for connection" and doesn't show any kind of loading screen, progress bar, nada. Download mode screen stays the same as well. About 3-4 mins later I get that error message that I posted before.

I have no idea what could be going wrong. All drivers are updated and installed, removed all misc drivers from my old HTC and boyfriends old LG, pretty much a clean slate as far as drivers go. All files are placed in the correct folders. Port is set to 41. Switched to all 3 USB ports on my PC. I think I've exhausted just about all of the troubleshooting steps that have been posted here as well as some random "just for the hell of it" stuff I tried lol. I'm no Android pro, this is my 2nd Android device this year (HTC, never again hah), never had one before that though. But I consider myself to be pretty darn computer literate and I can follow instructions well, and troubleshoot myself if need be. But this just has me totally confused.

On another note....how many folks, other than you OP, have successfully done this? Cause I haven't seen many success posts TBH...

Last edited:
Reactions: bg4m3r
Upvote 0
Like I said, I'm following the steps from the OP EXACTLY. Well, the first 4 or 5 times I was. Did some google searching and saw people have issues with the flash tool when connected to internet and also read that changing the date on the computer would fix any issues. Disconnected WiFi and changed the date. Nope, still nothing.

Basically after loading up the .tot and .dll files in flash tool, I hold volume up, plug phone in and hold until download mode starts (Firmware Update screen, just like the screenshot you posted). Click arrow, it does its thing. Unplug and plug again. Flash tool then says "Waiting for connection" and doesn't show any kind of loading screen, progress bar, nada. Download mode screen stays the same as well. About 3-4 mins later I get that error message that I posted before.

I have no idea what could be going wrong. All drivers are updated and installed, removed all misc drivers from my old HTC and boyfriends old LG, pretty much a clean slate as far as drivers go. All files are placed in the correct folders. Port is set to 41. Switched to all 3 USB ports on my PC. I think I've exhausted just about all of the troubleshooting steps that have been posted here as well as some random "just for the hell of it" stuff I tried lol. I'm no Android pro, this is my 2nd Android device this year (HTC, never again hah), never had one before that though. But I consider myself to be pretty darn computer literate and I can follow instructions well, and troubleshoot myself if need be. But this just has me totally confused.

On another note....how many folks, other than you OP, have successfully done this? Cause I haven't seen many success posts TBH...
Thank you for explaining your process. I know you said you were following the guide exactly, but that doesn't mean you weren't overlooking or misunderstanding something. I don't think those internet/date 'fixes' are valid...those don't even make sense. Have you rebooted the computer at any point in all of this? Especially with removing old drivers and installing new ones, even if the computer doesn't ask you to, a reboot might be needed.
It sounds like when you reconnect the phone, it's not recognizing on the computer for some reason. When you do the unplug/replug, try unplugging the cable from the computer, not the phone, if that's not what you were doing already.

To answer your question about success rate, nearly every single person on here has done this at some point. This particular thread is only a couple days old. Here are the previous threads on the subject, in chronological order, if you would like to trudge through them. The process is exactly the same for the flash tool part.
http://androidforums.com/threads/official-restore-with-dl-mode.853693/
http://androidforums.com/threads/how-to-restore-phone-with-dl-mode.861292/
http://androidforums.com/threads/the-so-you-upgraded-to-z4-and-lost-root-guide.874943/
Whatever you do, do not attempt to run the flash tool is update mode as stated in the 'official restore' post. You will end up with a factory reset status 2 error and you'll have to start completely over. ONLY use board mode.

I understand you are frustrated, it is frustrating trying to help you without being able to see what is going on on your end. Please be patient and understand that we are doing something that isn't exactly intended to be done and is somewhat blocked by the manufacturers. It's not always going to work perfectly.

Upvote 0
Thank you for explaining your process. I know you said you were following the guide exactly, but that doesn't mean you weren't overlooking or misunderstanding something. I don't think those internet/date 'fixes' are valid...those don't even make sense. Have you rebooted the computer at any point in all of this? Especially with removing old drivers and installing new ones, even if the computer doesn't ask you to, a reboot might be needed.
It sounds like when you reconnect the phone, it's not recognizing on the computer for some reason. When you do the unplug/replug, try unplugging the cable from the computer, not the phone, if that's not what you were doing already.

To answer your question about success rate, nearly every single person on here has done this at some point. This particular thread is only a couple days old. Here are the previous threads on the subject, in chronological order, if you would like to trudge through them. The process is exactly the same for the flash tool part.
http://androidforums.com/threads/official-restore-with-dl-mode.853693/
http://androidforums.com/threads/how-to-restore-phone-with-dl-mode.861292/
http://androidforums.com/threads/the-so-you-upgraded-to-z4-and-lost-root-guide.874943/
Whatever you do, do not attempt to run the flash tool is update mode as stated in the 'official restore' post. You will end up with a factory reset status 2 error and you'll have to start completely over. ONLY use board mode.

I understand you are frustrated, it is frustrating trying to help you without being able to see what is going on on your end. Please be patient and understand that we are doing something that isn't exactly intended to be done and is somewhat blocked by the manufacturers. It's not always going to work perfectly.
Yep, restarted the PC quite a few times actually. Ran in board mode also. It's not that I am frustrated, just very confused at this point lol. I am going to give this another try later tonight, start completely from scratch with all the downloads and stuff, and I'll try again without messing with the internet connection and date. Will let you know what happens.

Also once again, thanks so much for the guide and the quick responses. Being new to Android, I'm really starting to love this community. So much more supportive and helpful than the ol' iOS community that I am used to lol.

Edit: I did try iroot. Was also a no go for me. Failed twice. Kingoroot was the same....except now Download screen says I am rooted, but root checker determined that was a lie haha oy vey!

Reactions: bg4m3r
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
just realized I need megalock.dll. Can someone please upload it to mega. Google Docs is giving me issues trying to download it on my phone. I do not have a PC with an Internet connection.
Added to the guide. Apologizes...I thought it was included with the flash tool.
Flashify is available in the Play Store, btw.
I did not see the zv3 tot file...are you already on zv3? If so, you don't need the flash tool or anything before step 4.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones