• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] Brick Recovery

I have found it far easier to move things around on the Volt by plugging it into my computer and using Windows drag/drop and cut/paste rather than whatever methods (if any) are innate to Android. Is there a more functional Android OS that allows basic file manipulation, or am I overlooking some features?
No, not really...there's different file managers, like Root Explorer, with different features, like tabs, that makes it easier, but it nothing is as handy as drag and drop. I've never looked to see if there was a drag and drop file manager though...
Also I will try installing the zv4 ROM without wiping my zv3 data. Is this correct?
The zv4 ROM is created directly from the update, so yes, it can be installed without wiping.

Reactions: AfungusAmongus
Upvote 0
Many thanks for the excellent guide and to all the folks who have worked on getting the Volt to this point. I followed the directions to the mark and had no problems downgrading, rooting, and upgrading. The ease of the procedure was repeated after my overzealous housecleaning made a mess of things (deleted a few too many key services, but brought it all back again using the same steps in the guide).

Upvote 0
Do you mean how to boot into recovery?
Vol - + Power

I've followed the steps above for downgrading to v3 and then back to v4. Everything seems to work fine, except for when I try to boot into recovery. Holding the vol down and power shows "Factory Reset Processing" on the screen and it won't boot into recovery. Very strange! Could I have missed a step?

Upvote 0
I've followed the steps above for downgrading to v3 and then back to v4. Everything seems to work fine, except for when I try to boot into recovery. Holding the vol down and power shows "Factory Reset Processing" on the screen and it won't boot into recovery. Very strange! Could I have missed a step?
Are you letting go when that comes up? You should be.

Reactions: xman95
Upvote 0
I have a couple questions if you dont mind me asking.

I am on vz3 and rooted with towelroot. I assume 4 is better then 3 for some reason, so i would like to be on 4 with root.

At the moment this is alot for me to take in at once, as i am a bit confused, but trying to learn.

Is there a custom rom yet? Or should i say, basically i want my phone running its best, and im not sure how that works, vz4 with root only? Or vz4 with root + something else?

Im trying to figure out which steps i should be taking, and which files i need, and what and how to do it...

Also, will doing this delete my apps or settings or anything I personally did to my phone?

And one last thing, does doing whatever is best by any chance speed up my processing? What exactly is the difference and what is it doing and how is it better then what i have now?

I am sorry if my questions cause you to facepalm and yell WHAT AN IDIOT at your phone lol im just trying to learn and catch up on all this all at once. Its my first phone worth doing anything with. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I am sorry if my questions cause you to facepalm and yell WHAT AN IDIOT at your phone lol im just trying to learn and catch up on all this all at once. Its my first phone worth doing anything with. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

You will end up with exactly what you have on your phone now with root access. I am not sure what all zv4 updated, but my phone runs better. The custom roms are coming, but not ready yet.

Upvote 0
I'm on Boost and everything worked fine.
I think this is the first time I've ever use a tread that hasn't been dead for a year or more. Usually older phones don't get to many new updates wouldn't be surprised if the ZV4 is the last. Awesome Post. I like having CWM with the boot and recovery and it all seems quite simple. I think I prefer it to the one click root. With some Volts only costing about $65 new this is very helpful for making an nice phone better.

Upvote 0
Rooting was successful.

I misunderstood you though, bg4m3r. Thought you meant I could backup without losing data once I got to the CWM part, but by then all my app data was already gone xD

Now going through the long and slow process of reinstalling and resetting each one.

BUT THEY'rE GOING ON MY SD CARD AND IT'S GLORIOUS.

Upvote 0
Rooting was successful.

I misunderstood you though, bg4m3r. Thought you meant I could backup without losing data once I got to the CWM part, but by then all my app data was already gone xD

Now going through the long and slow process of reinstalling and resetting each one.

BUT THEY'rE GOING ON MY SD CARD AND IT'S GLORIOUS.
I apologize, I will add a warning in Step 1 about that. If you have to go through the downgrade, you will lose data. If you are already on zv3, then it is possible to get through without losing data depending on which zv4 ROM you use (StockWalk requires a factory reset).

Before you get too far into reinstalling, you should get link2SD, if you haven't already, and partition out your SD card, especially since it's a big one.

Reactions: Spaghadeity
Upvote 0
I apologize, I will add a warning in Step 1 about that. If you have to go through the downgrade, you will lose data. If you are already on zv3, then it is possible to get through without losing data depending on which zv4 ROM you use (StockWalk requires a factory reset).

Before you get too far into reinstalling, you should get link2SD, if you haven't already, and partition out your SD card, especially since it's a big one.

It's cool, nothing was lost that is worth more than being able to use my whole SD card. And yeah, partition is a go.

EDIT: Ext was the right choice for partition format, right?

Reactions: bg4m3r
Upvote 0
I think its worth pointing out that as of the moment there is nothing else I am "removing from StockWalk anytime soon, anything from here on out will be "added". So while I don't recommend it, Dirty Flashing from StockWalk 1.0 - 1.1 will be possible (1.1 isn't out yet btw).

I feel that what I removed allows all of the stock LG functions of the phone to work with zero crashes. The only thing really missing in StockWalk is the remote, and that is only because it requires a very hefty end user licence agreement, and it can access all of your phone so deep it will need an adult.

Upvote 0
So, I didn't really have time to fully check my phone earlier because I had to sleep, but I'm not getting service right now.

Upon using the dialer code it restarts, tells me handsfree activation works, tries to update the PRL, fails, restarts again, succeeds at updating, tries to check for a firmware update and fails. I've tried three times so far.

Any ideas? I assume I've done something tragically stupid.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones