• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] Disable OTA/Upgrade Nag for Nexus 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoohooGuy

Android Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2011
boston ma
WHG's guide to disable that constant nag and icon your Nexus 7 displays when it is told there is an updated version.

You may not want to upgrade right away because you are happy with your device just the way it is, and you may not want to upgrade as you prefer to wait a little bit to make sure any new bugs introduced get worked out before you bite.

Either way you will upgrade when you want, on your time, on your terms.

:D

Disclaimer

I have no responsibility for any damage you may cause or inflict following this guide. It is your responsibility to ensure proper backups of the device data before you begin.

Compatible Devices

Nexus 7 Grouper (2012) 4 - 4.3

Process

You have to be rooted.

Get Autorun Manager from the market - http://goo.gl/xdLmO Click Show button for QR code
ioXfVqw72LCSX.png
Launch Autorun Manager, select Advanced mode.

Click the wrench, check off Show system entries and Enable system app disable.

Click the refresh icon to reload the process list.

Search for "systemupdate" and open the Google Services Framework entry.

Uncheck com.google.android.gsf.update.SystemUpdateService$ Receiver

Reboot your tablet and be nag free.

Additionally

This should work on any Nexus device as they share the same basic system framework, Please post what devices other than the Nexus 7 grouper this has worked on and I will update the compatibility list.

Thank you all for being a great community! There are a hundred other sites people can go to for android news, information and support but personally I am very fond of this very forum as it has very knowledgeable members without the elitist mentality of other sites..One I am very glad I found and proud to contribute to.

This thread should be retired at this point, when Google moved OTA alerts into the Play services framework there is simply no way to disable OTA nag, aside from using a kit like Xposed and hooking the alert to suppress it.. and that is a thread for a different time.

Even if someone install a fresh copy of a version of android this worked with, once the automatic updated play services are pushed to the device it will negate the fix.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones