• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide] Easily Remove System apps on rooted Stock ROMS (updated 31st June 2011)

DF... you ROCK!

This was so EASY! Straight forward and nearly idiot proof. I hope you do not mind but I posted on Xda your list with slight modifications to suite the htc slide. I did this giving you ALL the credit of course and indicating the site where I obtained the information.

Hope you have a fantastic weekend!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
It's what I do ;)

Yeah Rom over writes entire system partition but leaves data partition alone. Hence why when you upgrade Rom, user apps remain.

You cent update system apps from the market or anything.

To save space, user apps that dont get many updates you can put in system

I am no geek, Doing all the above to remove all those files is kinda un-nerving to me. Can I flash a new rom and achieve the same thing?

Upvote 0
I'm new to all this fun. Rooted my HTC and want to remove some apps. Installed JDK version of JavaSe. I can not run SDK setup, receive message "Error: not suitable Java found." What am I doing wrong? Please help!!

Well firstly I don't mention at any point in the guide downloading the Java JDK or running SDK set up in this guide...

Just follow the steps in order, by the letter

Upvote 0
Brilliant Post Thanks very much spent ages at other posts with mixed success, finally a way to access the linux system other than the tiny terminal on phone

FINALLY got rid of MAPS killing my battery and sending information out to google at my expense

Having an unrooted HTC is like buying a pc with no admin rights and full of viruses browsing the web on their own costing you money

Thanks again:)

Reactions: SUroot
Upvote 0
You're welcome.

When I first wanted to do this, I had the same problem. Each guide expected a level of knowledge which at te time I did not have.

each guide was slightly different and by piecing several together I was able to eventually do this.

Another issue was most said to do this whilst the phone is on. However, since the desire is S-ON, you cant do that.

This is why i created this guide so I am glad it helped.

Upvote 0
aim stuck at hboot or recovery whit my htc desire when recovery works and starts up i wipe and then instal a rom ass fast ass i can befor it freez or reboot if it works and get a rom to work afther hours it will still reboot or freez so i tried to unroot it but if i plug in usb to connect 2 pc it freez 2
so i also tried to unroot my phone whit a stock rom extracked the rom from ruu and changed name in to PB99IMG put it on sd start hboot it load image phone will freez or reboot again so i dont now what i can try more the fix the problem

Upvote 0
Hi guys,Im really thick when it comes to computer terminology:) So can someone please put everything into a basic thread. Everything below sounds good, but what is a ROM? Is there no App on the market that you can use to set your phone up to remove the annoying apps or is there something that I need to install first before I start on this? What is ROM?? winrar, or S-OFF ??

Please do help!!! Much appreciated - Steve - HTC Desire:):):):):)

This is for if you have the ROM already installed and don't want to (or can't) do a wipe/re-install, such as your original ROM, rooted.

For custom ROMs you are about to install, just open the zip in winrar (not extract), browse to system/app and delete the .apk prior to installation.

If you are S-OFF, you can just delete the apps using root explorer in r/w mode.

For the rest of you:

Pre-requisites

Upvote 0
what is a ROM?

ROM stands for Read Only Memory. When we refer to ROMS, we refer to both the location that android is stored (Read Only Memory AKA /system partition of the internal memory) Or Android itself. Most often the latter

You can download custom ROMS which are custom versions of Android. These Custom ROMS are installed on the /system partition, which by its very nature, should be Read Only.

Is there no App on the market that you can use to set your phone up to remove the annoying apps

Not really. Once rooted, Titanium backup can sometimes remove somethings. Because /system is read only (where system apps are installed on /system/app) you can't access /system/app when android is running, because HTC have a security flag that prevents / restores these apps.

is there something that I need to install first before I start on this?

No, this guide is complete

What is ROM?? winrar, or S-OFF ??

Rom: As above.

winrar: a PC application like winzip. Handles .zip and .rar files (Compressed archives of files and folders)

S-Off: remember the security flag I mentioned earlier? If that is in place, your desire is classed as s-on. s-off means you have undertaken a process to remove this security flag, meaning you can use an app like root explorer to delete apps whilst android is running, ergo making this guide redundant.

If you want s-off, visit AlphaRev 1.8

Upvote 0
Hi everyone. I was able to follow the steps in removing apps on my phone using android SDK tools. However, i got this Failure after I tried to remove one app. it says "rm failed for Appname.apk, Read only file system."

does it mean that my phone was not properly rooted? i used unRevoked to root my phone and it mentioned that root was successful. i just don't know the reason why i can't delete pre-installed apps.

thanks guys.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones