• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root GUIDE: From stock 1.5 to the latest root 2.1

i am trying to root my 2.1 OTA eris and i am stuck on the pre-requisites. i downloaded the SDK and when i go to update my usb drivers, i follow where to go but its not updating. can someone help me out? im in the IRC chat room, #ErisRootHelp, but no one is in it to help me out

This took me a very long time to figure out. Check out http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/85219-please-help-2-1-ota-i-want-root.html I think it is post 12 you need. It will solve this for you. I just finished all of the steps here and am now ROOTED!!!!! I see Superuser Permissions now :)

Now I need to figure out how to do the things I need to do.

I will be on here for a while so hit me up if you get stuck.

Upvote 0
on to part one of the root process. got the pre-requisite done thanks to you romparoo. now that that's done, do i have to mount the phone so i can put the pb000img.zip file on my sdcard?

You can mount to load it to sd, or just remove your sd card safely and put that in your computer, there is no wrong way.

Run thru what the instructions say....I am dumping the ROM that is listed and going with Evil Eris right now [ROM]-[5/9/2010] Evil Eris v2.0.1 (HTC Sense UI-Android 2.1)[Overclock and Apps2SD!] - xda-developers I like the feature listings a lot better.

Upvote 0
im stuck at the amon's recovery. im typing in the correct commands but when i hit the 3rd thru 5th,

adb push flash_image /system/bin
adb shell chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

i get the "failed to copy flash_image" and etc after that. am i doing something wrong?

Did you get both files from the recovery zip extracted to the tools folder? That is the only thing I can think of.

Try doing another extraction to it, close window/program and open it again, retry.

Upvote 0
I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps someone that is not a noobie rooter like me will know how to help you.

sorry it took me a while to get back to the forum but how did u manage to download and install the amon's recovery with no problem? i tried installing and uninstalling it like 4 times and gave me errors after the last command line. do i need to have a formatted memory card or something?

Upvote 0
I just wanted to say thanks for the write-up to GRDLOCK. worked great. they gave me some trouble over at the mIRC chat room ha ha but it was a good experience! flashing roms like a pro as caddy would say.
My only problem occurred when I was updating usb driver, im on windows 7 64bit, and it installed my files automatically when I plugged the phone in, so I couldn't find the exclamation point!

Upvote 0
I just wanted to say thanks for the write-up to GRDLOCK. worked great. they gave me some trouble over at the mIRC chat room ha ha but it was a good experience! flashing roms like a pro as caddy would say.
My only problem occurred when I was updating usb driver, im on windows 7 64bit, and it installed my files automatically when I plugged the phone in, so I couldn't find the exclamation point!

Im going to be doing this tomorrow, and i have w7 64bit. what exactly did you do when the ! wasnt there? well, what do i have to do since its not there?

Upvote 0
Completely new to Rooting here - PC, Windows XP SP3, stock Droid, HTC Eris and was stupid enough to take the OTA 2.1 (Which was a NIGHTMARE)- Found this forums/thread, read the first post, then the last page for the most up to date postings, and dove in.

Followed the instructions, downloaded the files it said, completed the routines, and had zero problems.

Now I'm sittin pretty with the Rooted 2.1 from the stock OTA 1.5 to 2.1 upgrade, lost none of my contacts (thanks to the built in google features) and have complete freedom to customize my phone!

Thanks Everyone!:D:D

Upvote 0
When I first plugged in my phone with the usb debugging on, it auto. installed files, one of which was "adb", So I had a good feeling that I couldn't find the exclamation point because it auto. already installed the files needed. Jcase helped me out with opening a CMD promt from androidSDK/tools folder, and typed in "adb shell" and got the "#" sign I believe it was, so I was good to go and install the PB00IMG.zip, and everything went off without a hitch, I'm becoming a ROOT monster! haha

Upvote 0
I had the same thing happen to me in Windows 7 64 bit. I also noticed that it auto installed adb. So I tried the "adb shell" command and saw the $ indicating that I was in the device. For kicks I ran a simple ls command and it listed the contents of the folder so I knew I was good. Ran through the flashing, and had no problems. Running on Sense-able 3.1 right now, and loving it.

Upvote 0
Sorry to get a bit off topic, but i have been rooted for a month and still dont get or understand anything to do with commands, adb. $, #... all that junk...

Is all that really necessary? I have yet to type any command promts...

I followed Grdlocks instructions and did the all-in-one root process... and VOILA!
i was rooted and I have been flashing roms like nobodys business...

Just wondering if there's a reason to go through, what seems to me to be, this more complicated process.

Upvote 0
For us that rooted earlier, the all in one script was not available. Neither was the master application provided by jcase and others. basically the all in one script has a batch file that enters all the commands for you. So you don't have to mess with any of that. But if you want to remove system apps to make things leaner CG1 (thats what I'm gonna call you from now on! :D) you would still have to use the command prompts.

Upvote 0
II. Installing Amon's recovery image

1. Download this file: Recovery.zip

2. Extract file contents to your \tools\ directory of your Android SDK.

3. Open up a command prompt and go to your tools directory, and execute these commands: (MAKE SURE YOUR SDCARD IS NOT MOUNTED TO YOUR COMPUTER OR THESE COMMANDS WON'T WORK! MAKE SURE IT IS ON "CHARGE ONLY")
adb shell mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
adb push recovery.img /sdcard
adb push flash_image /system/bin
adb shell chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

4. Success! You now have a recovery partition installed on your phone. You can access it by running "adb shell reboot recovery" or by powering off your phone, holding "Volume Up + Power On"

Everytime i type in the first command it says adb is not recognized as an internal or external command. my droid isnt mounted.

Whats the mean?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones