• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] FroYo 2.2.1 for Root Users! (Updated 3/3/2011 at 3:40 pm EST - NOW EASIER THAN EVER!)

made it to step 28... stuck at the LG splash screen.

went to reset factory settings... nothing. still stuck.

So are you saying you were able to get to the recovery menu in step 27 and apply update.zip file, and now you're stuck?

If so, go back to step 27 and try again.

Were you never able to hit the home key quick enough to get the recovery menu in step 27?

If not, go back to step 27 and try again. ;)

Upvote 0
Code:
17. It should now load the familiar LG Manual Updater screen with a log window below and start reading information from your phone. It will proceed to flash your device. 

If your firewall warns you about trying to access the internet, allow it.

Your phone will now load a screen that displays the LG and Verizon Wireless logos and says: DOWNLOADING! DO NOT UNPLUG!

At this point, it is now flashing the update to your phone. This normally takes around 20 minutes to complete. Once complete, your phone will automatically reboot.
[/QUOTE]

Hi guys---I'm stuck and confused.  I followed all of the steps to the letter, starting from Velocity 0.4, with recovery RA-aloha-v1.2.4_getitnowmarketing.  I got to this step, the LGMU appears to run through without any errors, finishes, but then i'm stuck in the ANDROID logo boot loop.  Pulling the battery and powering up again continues to bootloop.  I have booted into recovery, wiped cache, dalvik-cache, battery stats, and then rebooted, but still get stuck in the bootloop.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what I'm missing here?  Do I need to start with the clockwork recovery, or some other recovery?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I'm able to finagle my way back to a working install of Velocity 0.4 (I've been doing this all day, pretty much), but I'd really like to be able to get updated to froyo and move on with life.  Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Hi guys---I'm stuck and confused. I followed all of the steps to the letter, starting from Velocity 0.4, with recovery RA-aloha-v1.2.4_getitnowmarketing. I got to this step, the LGMU appears to run through without any errors, finishes, but then i'm stuck in the ANDROID logo boot loop. Pulling the battery and powering up again continues to bootloop. I have booted into recovery, wiped cache, dalvik-cache, battery stats, and then rebooted, but still get stuck in the bootloop.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what I'm missing here? Do I need to start with the clockwork recovery, or some other recovery? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm able to finagle my way back to a working install of Velocity 0.4 (I've been doing this all day, pretty much), but I'd really like to be able to get updated to froyo and move on with life. Thanks again.

thats supposed to happen, once you get to the android screen open the command prompt on your computer and do as it says to get to fastboot

Upvote 0
Got to step 10. While I was installing it, it told me to connect my phone, so I did so. After loading, it restarted the phone (it told me that it was doing so, so as to finish the update). Now my phone is stuck on the ANDROID screen. Should I wipe data and start over? I'm planning on updating to Velocity 1.0 anyway so I'm not too worried about data...just my SD card (which I've backed up already).

Ooops...forgot I already had a post...sorry for the doubles

Upvote 0
So it seems like the only thing holding me back from doing this is my USB is really buggy and frequently disconnects and reconnects when I move the phone. Should I not do this guide? Seems to me like I answered my own question. But if anyone has any input on this please let me know.

i wouldnt risk it, theres a point when your putting ZV6 on your phone that it HAS to be connected for 15-20 minutes and i ran into alot of trouble because i disconnected it just a little early. probably the easiest way to mess something up by disconnecting it mid update

Upvote 0
Wooo I decided to give it another try today and finally got it, feels like I won the Superbowl! lol

The only stupid problem that was stopping me all along was that my phone wasn't showing up as an adb device, so as soon as I got to the first command prompt steps, I was getting "Error: device not found". For the life of me I couldn't remember the command to check the status of your devices. Today I finally found it, which ironically all I needed to do was point command prompt to the SDK directory and then command "adb devices". When I pressed enter it said not loaded, proceeded to load it, and then finally my phone showed up with a serial number next to it. From that point on it was smooth sailing. I had done various things through adb with my phone before so I'm not sure why it wasn't automatically registering as a device.

Anyways, without having to go back through the 6 pages of this thread, is there a quick way to confirm that I do in fact have root permissions and did it all successfully?

Upvote 0
I'd take it into Verizon and see if you can get a replacement. Should be no problem it it's under six months old or you have insurance.
Its under six months old and I think I have insurance, I know I did but I might have taken it off last month because I was told if it's rooted then the insurance won't do anything with hardware issues.

Upvote 0
Wooo I decided to give it another try today and finally got it, feels like I won the Superbowl! lol

The only stupid problem that was stopping me all along was that my phone wasn't showing up as an adb device, so as soon as I got to the first command prompt steps, I was getting "Error: device not found". For the life of me I couldn't remember the command to check the status of your devices. Today I finally found it, which ironically all I needed to do was point command prompt to the SDK directory and then command "adb devices". When I pressed enter it said not loaded, proceeded to load it, and then finally my phone showed up with a serial number next to it. From that point on it was smooth sailing. I had done various things through adb with my phone before so I'm not sure why it wasn't automatically registering as a device.

Anyways, without having to go back through the 6 pages of this thread, is there a quick way to confirm that I do in fact have root permissions and did it all successfully?

If you have terminal emulator you can open it and type SU if the symbol changes then you have super user permissions. At least that was with 2.1, I would think it would be the same now.

Reactions: PowerBomb
Upvote 0
The USB connection on my phone is constantly getting worse too.

Some time this year I ran across an online video that showed a fellow disassembling his Ally and gently squeezing the sides of the USB jack housing to make it snug again. If you are OK with operating on the Ally (and potentially voiding the warranty and even breaking it if you don't succeed) you may be able to cure the issue if it is simply a bad connection due to a physically loose plug in the jack. I don't recall where I saw that video, but I would think Googling for something like "Ally disassembly" would find it.

Upvote 0
Having read this whole thread as it developed, and encountered suggestions and apparent changes to the procedure laid out in post #1, I notice that post # 1 shows no signs of editing or being updated. Is the procedure it spells out still considered accurate and "current" or have suggested changes been made and posted somewhere else?

Upvote 0
I managed to get make it all the way to step 25 before it gave me errors. I skipped that step an finished up. Everytime i tried to do step 25 it errored so i don't know if i got it right or not. How can you tell if fastboot still works? Cause i sidestepped 25 an finised an had to root via the one click method to get it to work. Also had to install clockwork to get a recovery to stick. But when i connect to my PC an enter adb an type in fastboot, it takes me to the blue screen on my phone, so that is leading me to believe that fastboot still works on it, am i correct?

Upvote 0
Well, my attempt did not work. I did not get any errors. However, when I got to "Flash Zip menu", nothing happened when I selected it. I was unable to choose the zip file.

Are you talking about the "flash zip update" step? If I recall correctly, I didn't really need to "choose" which zip it used either. The Froyo files that you should have moved to your SD card earlier on in the process are automatically recognized as the zip update that you need when you select that. Did you put the proper files on your SD?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones