• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[GUIDE] Getting the Built-In WiFi-AP ( Wireless Tether ) Working ( root not required ) 7/20/12

ROOT NOT REQUIRED!
(Thanks to RobNE for trying it unrooted)

Getting the Built-In WiFi-AP Working
A Step-by-Step Guide with Pictures​

A lot of people seem to have trouble getting the built in AP to work right, so I decided to make this tutorial.

Step 01: Obtain QuickShortcutMaker from the market and install it
7539398634_7d5e855d56_b.jpg

Step 02: Launch QuickShortcutMaker
7539396570_558c44c34b_b.jpg

Step 03: In the "Activities" list find the object "LG Hidden Menu" (com.lge.hiddenmenu) with the activity "LGServiceHiddenMenu_Settings" and select it
7539396692_c966676c47_b.jpg

Step 04: Give it a name like "LG Settings", change the icon if you want, save it and put it somewhere convenient (you'll have to access it after each reboot and before trying to access the AP service)
7539396802_d2b9661764_b.jpg

Step 05: Launch the shortcut you just created
7539397016_79838e8dd5_b.jpg

Step 06: Select "Data Settings"
7539397102_55c06e19c5_b.jpg

Step 07: Select "DUN NAI"
7539397156_f7ebd552ae_b.jpg

Step 08: The "Extend Modem" box will pop up. Choose "No" then back out to your homescreen
7539397256_5f774be74c_b.jpg

For an easier way to do the rest of this, download Hotspot Widget, make a widget and tap it to get started. --Thanks to kahuama and Lordvincent 90 for turning me on to this and wetbiker7 for confirming it works with the non root method!

Step 09: Hit the "Menu" haptic-key and select "Settings"
7539397420_e4ec59cf8f_b.jpg

Step 10: Select "Wireless & Networks"
7539397636_0cd2fddcb2_b.jpg

Step 11: Select "Tethering & Portable Hotspot"
7539397784_c024f576e5_b.jpg

Step 12: Select "Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot Settings"
7539397950_8c02ed86eb_b.jpg

Step 13: These are the settings I have for "Jay-Fi". Match them, save and back out to the "Tethering & Portable Hotspot" menu.
7539398168_33ae38cf21_b.jpg

7539398346_45568b252b_b.jpg

Step 14: Select "Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot" and in a few seconds, you should be up and running in infrastructure mode :)
7539398488_f2019af0d4_b.jpg

If you have a firewall like DroidWall running, you may need to disable it/allow an exception for the Hotspot app.

Hope this helps a few people. It's a question I see a lot around here.

Go launcher has the shortcuts built in so if u already have it you don't need to download any other program. Just add it like a widget

Neither Go Launcher HD or EX has the ability to access "Activities" built in (at least not that I've found). You either have to have a shortcut maker installed or a launcher that has Activities access built in (like Launcher Pro, for example).

If I'm overlooking something somewhere in Go Launcher, please enlighten me. I'm something of a minimalist and like to keep my phone memory as free as possible :)

Upvote 0
Neither Go Launcher HD or EX has the ability to access "Activities" built in (at least not that I've found). You either have to have a shortcut maker installed or a launcher that has Activities access built in (like Launcher Pro, for example).

If I'm overlooking something somewhere in Go Launcher, please enlighten me. I'm something of a minimalist and like to keep my phone memory as free as possible :)

nope ur right, i was thinking of launcher pro

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Are you talking about the AnyCut link? If so I just clicked it and it works.

Apparently, it works because you already have it installed. Log out of Google and try to load the link, again. It doesn't work. I've decided while Any Cut is a little easier to use, I really prefer the extensibility of QuickShortcutMaker, anyways :)

Upvote 0
Apparently, it works because you already have it installed. Log out of Google and try to load the link, again. It doesn't work. I've decided while Any Cut is a little easier to use, I really prefer the extensibility of QuickShortcutMaker, anyways :)

I hope it's cool to post this since it's free and not offered on the market any longer. If not, I'm sure the MODS will let me know. Gotta be all good because it's not pirated. :D

Any_Cut_1.0.rar

Upvote 0

Hi I don't know if you have fix this, but I did manage to fix it... Shorcutmaker didn't work for me, after I change the extended moden to NO, when I went to seetings the option of hotspot didn't appear, so I download an app called wifi hotspot widget wich is actually a short cut for the hotspot and hotspot settings, I just follow the rest and it works:D

Upvote 0
Hi I don't know if you have fix this, but I did manage to fix it... Shorcutmaker didn't work for me, after I change the extended moden to NO, when I went to seetings the option of hotspot didn't appear, so I download an app called wifi hotspot widget wich is actually a short cut for the hotspot and hotspot settings, I just follow the rest and it works:D

Just got done setting up a friend on ctmod. this app (widget) works great! Make the widget, click it, and bam hot spot active.

Upvote 0

The hotspot option doesn't 'appear' after you change Extend Modem, it just doesn't work until you do. I've used the Hotspot widget before, I just personally find making a shortcut better because I can theme the icon :)

Whatever works for you is good, though. Glad you got it working!

Just to clarify, the hotspot settings, once you set Extend Modem, are under Menu->Settings->Wireless & Networks->Tethering & Portable Hotspot... ...Not in the hidden menu you used QSM to gain access to :)

Upvote 0
Just got done setting up a friend on ctmod. this app (widget) works great! Make the widget, click it, and ban hot spot active.

Yep. I still have to go in and select NO for extend modem but after that it's all good to go. Nice not having to go in to settings and turn it on. :D

Now if only there was a way to keep "Extend Modem" set to no after rebooting, we would be set. ;)

Upvote 0
Yep. I still have to go in and select NO for extend modem but after that it's all good to go.

I didn't even do that. i first tried with wireless tether, and someone suggested adding ro.tether.deny=false to build.prop (which i did) other than that it's a fresh install of ctmod.

I literally installed the app, created the widget, clicked it, and hotspot activated. Tethered it to my prevail with no problems.

Upvote 0
I didn't even do that. i first tried with wireless tether, and someone suggested adding ro.tether.deny=false to build.prop (which i did) other than that it's a fresh install of ctmod.

I literally installed the app, created the widget, clicked it, and hotspot activated. Tethered it to my prevail with no problems.

I wonder if that would work for the Marquee? That would be sweet if it would. I don't use the hotspot often at all but it would still be nice if all I had to do in order to activate it was to tap the widget.

Upvote 0
The hotspot option doesn't 'appear' after you change Extend Modem, it just doesn't work until you do. I've used the Hotspot widget before, I just personally find making a shortcut better because I can theme the icon :)

Whatever works for you is good, though. Glad you got it working!

Just to clarify, the hotspot settings, once you set Extend Modem, are under Menu->Settings->Wireless & Networks->Tethering & Portable Hotspot... ...Not in the hidden menu you used QSM to gain access to :)

Jay, are you still having to select NO for the extended modem because I am?:thinking: After I select no the widget works fine.

Upvote 0
I wonder if that would work for the Marquee? That would be sweet if it would. I don't use the hotspot often at all but it would still be nice if all I had to do in order to activate it was to tap the widget.
:thinking:
I'm talking about the marquee. That app. On marquee. No modem change. Prevail tethered to Marquee's hotspot

-I installed ctmod
-Tried wireless tether(play store) started with errors, no connection.
-added line to bottom of build prop
Code:
ro.tether.deny=false
-rebooted, still errors, no connection.
-installed wifi tether widget
-created widget
-clicked widget
-clicked configure hotspot in notification bar
-set ssid & password
-connected prevail to hotspot
Pages loaded, dl's worked, put prevail in ap-wifi (just in case) still loaded fine.

Edit-could it be the binaries wirelesstether installed?

Reactions: wetbiker7
Upvote 0
:thinking:
I'm talking about the marquee. That app. On marquee. No modem change. Prevail tethered to Marquee's hotspot

-I installed ctmod
-Tried wireless tether(play store) started with errors, no connection.
-added line to bottom of build prop
Code:
ro.tether.deny=false
-rebooted, still errors, no connection.
-installed wifi tether widget
-created widget
-clicked widget
-clicked configure hotspot in notification bar
-set ssid & password
-connected prevail to hotspot
Pages loaded, dl's worked, put prevail in ap-wifi (just in case) still loaded fine.

Edit-could it be the binaries wirelesstether installed?

Thanks LV.
Phone is doing a CWM backup right now before I mess with the build.prop bro. Then gonna change the build.prop. I'll text ya back when I'm done. :D:D:D:D

Reactions: Lordvincent 90
Upvote 0
You know, I realized that a link was put up for AnyCut, but maybe in the future remember that the play store isn't the only place to get apps. AnyCut is in the Amazon App store, easily found. The play store does have BetterCut. It doesn't have great reviews but I think mostly it's from people who don't know what they are doing. I have used it a few times & didn't have any problems.

Upvote 0
You know, I realized that a link was put up for AnyCut, but maybe in the future remember that the play store isn't the only place to get apps. AnyCut is in the Amazon App store, easily found. The play store does have BetterCut. It doesn't have great reviews but I think mostly it's from people who don't know what they are doing. I have used it a few times & didn't have any problems.

No doubt. That link for the AnyCut rar that I put up didn't come from GPlay. It was easy to find by doing a simple search.

My Google-Fu in strong! LOL:D:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones