1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[GUIDE] How to Check for Wakelocks

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MizzouBrent, Dec 23, 2011.

1. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert

There is always a lot of discussion on these forums about battery life and there was a thread the other day about Spare Parts and how it doesn't work with Gingerbread, so I thought I would share this info with everybody as its own thread instead of burying it somewhere else.

First, a wakelock is a process that is actively keeping your phone awake while the screen is off. Unless you're listening to music, or downloading apps, your phone should basically be doing nothing while the screen is off. If it's in an active state, you're going to see battery drain while you wouldn't expect there to be any.

First things first, this is the app you need, BetterBatteryStats. http://db.tt/3g0LT4tT I downloaded it off of XDA for free, but there is a free and a donate version in the market if you choose to get it that way. BBS is far superior to any other apps I have seen that show wakelock information and it is truly incredible how detailed it is. So download the app.

So in order for it to show what we need, open the app. There are two dropdown menus. To get it to show what we want, choose "partial wakelocks" on the first dropdown and "since unplugged" from the 2nd dropdown. So your screen should look like the image attached

Now this will tell you what processes have been utilizing your phone with the screen off. Like I said, if you listen to Google Music or Pandora a lot, it will show up here, but Facebook stuff seems to rear its ugly head a lot. But if you have any rogue processes causing battery drain, they will be listed here. You really shouldn't have too much keeping your phone awake as long as you are careful about app refresh settings. On Sense roms, stuff like Stocks, Weather etc refresh by default. Also I use Tweetcaster a lot and I think it defaults to refreshing every 15 or 30 minutes, so I just turn it off and manually refresh when I want to use the app.

Hopefully this helps you guys. If I can add anything to this, please let me know.

Attached Files:

9to5cynic, slyd, ocnbrze and 9 others like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

great info. Your picture isn't showing though so no idea what screen should look like :D

Granite1 likes this.
  3. MizzouBrent

Doh, I'll just try it as an attachment

OP is updated. For what it's worth, it displayed on my screen!

argedion likes this.
  4. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer

I'm going to download this. I remember hearing about this app back in the days when GB broke SP. I just never got aroung to trying it and forgot the name of it.
    Thanks my man!

5. MizzouBrent

I actually found an app that is just like Spare parts that worked on GB. But BBS just displays so much specific info. SP only shows stuff like "Android System" but this tells you what specificially in "android system" is causing issues.

argedion and andygu3 like this.
  6. Frogbone

Frogbone Well-Known Member

Looks like there are some processes that have web links , explaining in more detail what they are.
    Not sure who creates those but if that list would be more complete this would be dynamite for a lot of users who don't really know what these processes mean.

argedion likes this.
  7. MizzouBrent

I don't even know what a lot of them are either but on my pic there isn't anything substantial anyway. You're always going to have a few things on there but as long as they aren't holding wakelocks for significant amounts of time then that's all that matters

ocnbrze likes this.
  8. geewhiz

geewhiz Well-Known Member

I only see a pay BetterBatteryStats in the market?

9. MizzouBrent

Click the drop box link from the first post

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews