• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] How to Flash Recovery AND Setup AndroidSDK (Revised)

OK Guys,here is a easy guide on how to flash a recovery image to your ALREADY ROOTED android phone using an app called TERMINAL EMULATOR.this is very easy if you follow my directions without mistake. (terminal emulator is case sensitive,so ONLY use capital letters if there is a capital letter in the name of your recovery image.if you follow my directions,this wont matter)

you will need to be rooted already or this wont work.
download terminal emulator off the market.
Download the Recovery Image and Flash Image.

step 1:name your recovery image, "recoveryimage" for simplicity sake,and place it on the root of your sd card. (root of sd means,dont put it into a folder) ALSO,place the FLASH IMAGE on the root of SD also.

step 2: open terminal emulator and type "su".(do not include quotation marks)
you will get the superuser request pop-up.hit allow.then you should see a # appear.

step 3:type this exactly how i type it.if there seems to be a space,there is one.

cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image

hit enter,then type the below line

flash_image recovery /sdcard/recoveryimage.img

Once you enter that command,your all done..to get into recovery,power off the phone.hold home,vol down and power until recovery shows up..hope this helps and remember,hit the THANKS button!:D

Now if the terminal emulator method isnt working for you,try it this way...

You will need to still download the recovery and flash.img and place it in the root of the SD card (meaning not in any folders)

1. Install android SDK..after UNZIPPING IT TO YOUR C DRIVE,open the exe. once it opens,it will ask to install optional packages,DENY ALL EXCEPT PLATFORM TOOLS...after the PLATFORM TOOLS is done installing,close out everything.

1.5. Navigate to the android-sdk-windows/platform tools/ folder..hold shift then right click inside the platform-tools folder..select "open command window here".when it opens,type "adb shell" then hit enter..if you get a $ symbol,skip to step 5. otherwise resume to the next step.

2.now that you have the platform tools installed,go to the start menu,right click on my computer,then select properties. on the left side of the screen,select "advanced system settings". A window will pop up and at the bottom of it you will see "environmental variables"..select it.. now under system variables,scroll down to "path"..select "path" and hit the "edit" button...

3.Now,(WITHOUT ALTERING THE EXISTING CHARACTERS THAT ARE ALREADY THERE) COPY+PASTE the below string into the END of the "path" section.

;C:\android-sdk-windows/platform-tools;

4.now hit save and exit out of every thing..hit the start button and in the search bar at the bottom,type,"cmd" and hit enter.the command prompt will open.now when it opens do the following..

type- adb (hit enter and a bunch of text should appear and scroll down the screen)

type-adb shell (it should now say *daemon not running,starting it now on port 5017*,then under it, it should say *daemon started successfully*).if your phone is not plugged it,after daemon started it will say,error device not found..thats normal..if your phone IS plugged in,after daemon started,it should display a $ symbol. if you got the $,then go to the next step.....if you still have devices not found,plug in your phone with usb debugging ENABLED (its in settings/applications/development/).once its plugged in,enter "adb shell",hit enter,now you should have $.

5.type "su" .then your phone should ask for superuser permission (make sure the screen is on) hit allow.now instead of a $,you should now have a #...now go to the last step.

6.copy and paste the following commands into the terminal,(assuming the flash.img and the recovery.img is on the root of the sd card)

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image

chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image

mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak

mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

once you hit enter after the LAST command,close everything out,unplug your phone,power it off..now while off,hold home+vol down+power,until recovery pops up (about 10 seconds-ish)

here is the link to the RECOVERY IMAGE AND FLASH IMAGE for the Optimus M.

Make sure you download the correct version for your phone. :)

I get the same error. I flashed with Gingerbreak and tried flashing via adb and terminal emulator. I know that I am doing this right because I have been flashing ROMS on my Backflip for over a year including CM7. I'm not sure whats going on and any help would be appreciated, thanks.

BTW, tried every recovery.img on this Optimus M Forum.

Upvote 0
Guys please read this thread it shows you exactly what to do. The error is because the flash_image is not on the phone. You need it in order to flash recovery. Just follow the steps on the above guide. You can type the commands on cmd or terminal emulator.

Hope this helps

PS. I will have to tell mikekelso to update his guide with the right steps.

Reactions: mikekelso421
Upvote 0
Guys please read this thread it shows you exactly what to do. The error is because the flash_image is not on the phone. You need it in order to flash recovery. Just follow the steps on the above guide. You can type the commands on cmd or terminal emulator.

Hope this helps

PS. I will have to tell mikekelso to update his guide with the right steps.

Sorry about that Joneidy..lol i made this thread quickly after another member asked me to walk them through how to do it..that way i could reduce the amount of PM's and Gchat convo's i was getting..lol thanks for the advice!! and BTW i appreciate all your help/hard work youve done around the forums! we need more members like yourself! :D

Reactions: joneidy
Upvote 0
i think i have a problem im getting a flash_image: not found

did you put the recovery on your sd card ?

when you enter the command it should look like this

flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-optm-2.2.1-GNM.img
Dont forget you also need to type in the ---.img at the end, it will not see it if you forget that.

Upvote 0
I extracted it but the command I put was the one at the beginning of this guide maybe that's whats wrong, I'll try that command and see if It works thanks for that assist

thats probably because you may NOT have changed the RECOVERY IMAGE NAME. if you didnt rename it it recoveryimage.img,its not going to work..just a thought..lol :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones