• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] How to root the Galaxy Smart

Thanks for the video worked perfectly. I am finally rooted. Now to find some good roms so I can customize my desktop with my go apps instead of the regular message contacts, and phone dialer. Any help there? Is it possible to get a list of the stock apps you removed safely? I too would like more room, and less memory sucking apps running in the background. Some pictures or another how to safely remove apps would be great. I am computer savy but this is a whole new animal I am learning about.

You do good work keep it up. I look forward to your future posts.

Keep Moving Forward,
Ramothgold:D

Upvote 0
Some of the apps I removed:

T-mobile APP pack- Didn't use anything here so goodbye!

com.logmein- I removed any of this stuff because I have no use for it.

Drivesmart- I do not use this, I don't use my phone at all when I drive.

Files 1.0.0- I use my own file explorer app.

google.backup.transport- I don't use this either, not quite sure what it is.

Google search- no need to have an app when google is my homepage!

Home screen tips- Who needs um?

Lookout- Do not use, although it isn't a bad app.

Manage Online album- Don't need to use this, all my photos go to facebook!

Messaging- I use Handcent SMS!

Photobucket- Don't use

Samsung Account and Samsung home- Again I didnt use these, I installed Launcher pro from the market, it is way smoother and cleaner! (do not remove without installer launcher pro!!!)

I removed swype because I didn't like it but that is personal preference!

Just get the titanium back up app from the market, what I did was make a back up of all apps for safe keeping on my SD card. To do so you will run Titanium Backup, select backup/restore at the top, hit your menu touch button, select batch. Select the 5th option (Backup all user apps + system data). This will assure you that everything is still on the phone if you happen to delete something by mistake you wanted! You can batch restore on this same screen. I have some t-mobile apps, like my account on my phone still, you can remove this but I like to see when my bill is due! I do not have any screens to show but I think this will help you figure out how to delete/restore/backup everything! Any more questions just ask!

Upvote 0
I was wondering if it is possible or advisable to root, then uninstall tetris, uno, aim, allshare, messaging, bejeweled, files, and photobucket, glympse. Then to create a nand backup and unroot my phone. The only reason I wanted to root it in the first place was to get rid of some of the useless things taking up space.

I was also wondering if anyone had luck with removing google cloud was that able to be uninstalled without too much fuss and group messaging? The list was posted are those the actual names of the files that I will see with titanium backup pro.
Any thoughts would be exceedingly helpful.

Upvote 0
OK, I rooted the phone and immediately did a full backup using Titanium Backup. Once that was done, I started removing pre-installed apps and then rebooted the phone. That is where the problems began, it wouldn't get past the Samsung splash screen. After rebooting 4x and always getting hung there, I tried to do a factory reset using pwr button and T key, was able to do so but different problem now. It gets past the splash screen but screen is blank except for time and signal strength icons. I am able to receive calls but can't set up any google accounts or access any settings. I was able to open the browser via voice command and access the market to redownload titanium backup and superuser to do a restore, it found my first backup and said it was restored but the problem still exists. After second factory reset, can't get into anything. Do I just have a brick or does a copy of the orginal rom exist that I can put on to the SD and restore from there?

Upvote 0
Anyone know which stock apps i can uninstall? i want to uninstall telnav because if you use it on accident they charge you 3.99 a month but i would really like to get rid of most stock apps. I already bricked one phone doing that but another member on here helped me with that so im trying not to do it again.

Upvote 0
I was wondering if it is possible or advisable to root, then uninstall tetris, uno, aim, allshare, messaging, bejeweled, files, and photobucket, glympse. Then to create a nand backup and unroot my phone. The only reason I wanted to root it in the first place was to get rid of some of the useless things taking up space.

I was also wondering if anyone had luck with removing google cloud was that able to be uninstalled without too much fuss and group messaging? The list was posted are those the actual names of the files that I will see with titanium backup pro.
Any thoughts would be exceedingly helpful.

I would like to know this too. My phone's storage is insanely low. I tried EVERYTHING to free space. I'm a huge texter and I can't receive any text messages, that's how bad this is. This is becoming a serious problem and I need to root the phone, delete unwanted stock apps, then unroot it. The thing is, I have no idea how to unroot it.

Help?

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for this thread, it was very helpful. I was removed most of the apps that tangodown09 mentioned in his post. There are a few others I wanted to get rid of, but was wondering if anyone had any experience yes or no on them...

Cloud Texting?
Email? (I only use the Gmail app)
Glympse?
Group Texting?
Latitude? (I do use Maps, but do I need this?)
TelenavGPS?
Visual Voicemail? (I use Google Voice)

So yeah, just curious if anyone has deleted any of these and had any repercussions or not. Thanks SO much for this helpful thread, it was very easy to follow.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for this thread, it was very helpful. I was removed most of the apps that tangodown09 mentioned in his post. There are a few others I wanted to get rid of, but was wondering if anyone had any experience yes or no on them...

Cloud Texting?
Email? (I only use the Gmail app)
Glympse?
Group Texting?
Latitude? (I do use Maps, but do I need this?)
TelenavGPS?
Visual Voicemail? (I use Google Voice)

So yeah, just curious if anyone has deleted any of these and had any repercussions or not. Thanks SO much for this helpful thread, it was very easy to follow.

the cloud services help this phones sharing capabilities... i think... i didnt mess with that to be safe...
i just posted a list of ones i could think of...
all of those but cloud services can go...
glympse just shares ur location.. vvs has a bunch of bins u wanna hunt too...
like i said in my other post... after u kill these.. there are big files with the same name in the system data directories...
llattitude is kinda usefull... but i killed it.

Upvote 0
Hi, I was able to delete unwanted apps from the system folder with Super Manager. However it would seem the apps are not physically deleted from the phone’s internal memory. The icons and files don’t show up any more in Root Explorer or Super Manager. Root Explorer says I have 26 megs free. But they all still show up in the manage apps and in my apps2sd screens.

Is there something like a recycle bin I have to empty?

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
In my earlier frustration over my inability to receive so much as a text message when my internal memory was full, I went on something of a purge. I figured I had everything backed up with Titanium Backup. Unfortunately, I was wrong, it had only done a few things. So, anyway, I now find myself without a copy of googleapps.apk on my phone. I haven't noticed anything disastrous yet, but would prefer to return it to it's rightful place.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions. I did find a version of it for download here, but I have no way of knowing if it's the right one. Even if it is, I'm not sure what to do with it. Can I fix this? Thanks in advance . . .

Upvote 0
"Samsung Account and Samsung home- Again I didnt use these, I installed Launcher pro from the market, it is way smoother and cleaner! (do not remove without installer launcher pro!!!)"

HELP!

Oops....so I was following instructions to root my wife's phone like I did mine, and I removed Samsung Account and Samsung Home. Now my screen has gone blank and I reread the original post and realized that I did not have Installer Launcher Pro. I guess it's too late for me to be doing this...what can I do at this point? Any advice would be great ASAP, she'll probably not be too happy when she wakes up. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones