• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide] How to root the Wildfire S with S-ON

Because you already have the latest version, you don't need to update your RUU. So go straight t this step
3C. Unlock the bootloader
Now you'll follow the steps starting on pg. 2 of the unlock bootloader procedure at htcdev.com. (Find the green button waaaay down at the bottom of the ROM selection page that says "Proceed to Step 1".)

This step requires you to use adb commands (SDK tools) to retrieve your phone's oem identifier token. You will then upload that to the HTC dev bootloader unlock page. Make sure that you enter it without any spaces. After receiving it, HTC dev will respond with an email containing an image file ("Unlock_code.bin") which you will then flash to the phone to unlock your bootloader. When done successfully, the HBOOT screen will show ***_UNLOCKED_***. Success!

Upvote 0
i cant understand what you're trying to say sir, because id already try that 3c and i don't know where can i find that rom2.zip i read all of your blog in more than 10 times and then you keep saying me to proceed to 3b:(
Sorry about that. There was a typo in my previous post and I meant to type 3C, not 3B. Caro's post above is correct.

Reactions: jubair07 and uxolo
Upvote 0
NOTE: This tutorial is for rooting the HTC Wildfire S by unlocking the phone's bootloader even with S-ON. It is no longer necessary to gain S-OFF in order to root the Wildfire S!

4. Now on to root the phone!
Note: this will only work if your phone's bootloader is successfully unlocked (you see ***_UNLOCKED_*** on your HBOOT screen) or you happen to have an S-ON phone.

Of the methods I have found, this seemed to be the easiest and it's the one that I used. Credit goes out to developer frigid, again at XDA.

4A. First, download the HTC SuperTool v3 by frigid at xda-developers and don't forget to hit the thanks button on his thread! Be sure to get version 3, not 2! (Direct download here.)

This did not work. However, when I pulled out and re-connected the USB my phone asked me which type of USB connection is to be used - Charge only, HTC Sync, Disc Drive, USB tethering or internet pass-through (even though USB debugging was still showing as active). It defaulted to HTC Sync if I waited, but then failed to find HTC Sync as since it was not open on my Winbook.

So if this question pops up, what is the intended connection type? Does it matter?

More - the USB connection is clearly not working because typing reboot at the end of the process does nothing. I'm guessing this is the real issue - there is no proper connection. Either it's the phone or my Macbook Windows configuration (bootcamp issue maybe?) :argh:

Upvote 0
Hello...

The link you posted to download the custom ROM is broken. I found another one but I am not 100% sure I can use that for my phone?! I have a MarvelC Virgin Mobile phone.

This is the link: [ROM]Stock 2.3.4, Sense 2.1[Rooted][Apps2sd][Virgin Mobile US]- Only for marvelc 510c - xda-developers

And also after I download and install that on my phone can I just follow the same steps you put in the first post:

The procedure for flashing a custom ROM is as follows:
1) Boot into Recovery and backup your stock ROM. If you don't and something goes wrong, you'll have a major headache on your hands. *DO NOT* skip this step.
2) Download the ROM and copy it to the root directory of your SD card.
3) Do a factory reset, wipe the cache partition and wipe dalvik cache (under Advanced).
4) Install the update from the SD card.

Thank you,

Debora

Upvote 0
Also I wanted to know why even after I rooted the phone the pre installed apps still cannot be uninstalled...after I download and install a custom ROM do I have to install another app to be apple to remove apps?

Thanks

Once rooted, install titanium backup. This will allow you to uninstall unwanted apps.

Upvote 0
This did not work. However, when I pulled out and re-connected the USB my phone asked me which type of USB connection is to be used - Charge only, HTC Sync, Disc Drive, USB tethering or internet pass-through (even though USB debugging was still showing as active). It defaulted to HTC Sync if I waited, but then failed to find HTC Sync as since it was not open on my Winbook.

So if this question pops up, what is the intended connection type? Does it matter?

More - the USB connection is clearly not working because typing reboot at the end of the process does nothing. I'm guessing this is the real issue - there is no proper connection. Either it's the phone or my Macbook Windows configuration (bootcamp issue maybe?) :argh:
As mentioned earlier in the guide, for ADB to work the phone must be in Charge only mode with HTC Sync installed so you get the HTC drivers, but not running because it causes conflicts. Open Task Manger after you plug in the phone and look for HTC Sync. If it's there, kill it. The drivers will still work. Beyond that, if Bootcamp is causing issues I can't help because I don't know anything about Mac.

If you still can't get it to connect, try this older rooting method (only step 2) and come back to install SuperSU, CWM Recover, etc. in this guide.

Upvote 0
Also I wanted to know why even after I rooted the phone the pre installed apps still cannot be uninstalled...after I download and install a custom ROM do I have to install another app to be apple to remove apps?

Thanks
The phone's ROM was never intended to uninstall system apps so it doesn't have the functionality. You can install other apps that do, as Caro suggests below. He prefers Titanium Backup, I prefer ES File Explorer. And there are others too.

Custom ROMs generally have the bloatware already removed. But you can still remove apps you don't want. Make sure you back them up first (ES File Explorer does this automatically) so that if the ROM becomes unstable, you can restore them.

Reactions: deborabr
Upvote 0
Sorry... almost missed this post.
Hello...

The link you posted to download the custom ROM is broken. I found another one but I am not 100% sure I can use that for my phone?! I have a MarvelC Virgin Mobile phone.

This is the link: [ROM]Stock 2.3.4, Sense 2.1[Rooted][Apps2sd][Virgin Mobile US]- Only for marvelc 510c - xda-developers
Yes, this is the same ROM, posted at XDA instead of Androidforums, same developer.

If you want to try a Sense 3.5 ROM, look here:
[WFSDEV][AROMA] .sense, a customizable, universal Sense 3.5 ROM [3.0 BETA]

And also after I download and install that on my phone can I just follow the same steps you put in the first post:

The procedure for flashing a custom ROM is as follows:
1) Boot into Recovery and backup your stock ROM. If you don't and something goes wrong, you'll have a major headache on your hands. *DO NOT* skip this step.
2) Download the ROM and copy it to the root directory of your SD card.
3) Do a factory reset, wipe the cache partition and wipe dalvik cache (under Advanced).
4) Install the update from the SD card.
Yes. The Sense 3.5 ROM also has an installer that allows you to choose MarvelC and other customization options.

Upvote 0
The link to Sense 3.5 ROM is still broken. Do you think there's any problem to download the other one I mentioned before? [ROM]Stock 2.3.4, Sense 2.1[Rooted][Apps2sd][Virgin Mobile US]- Only for marvelc 510c - xda-developers I was just downloading this version because seems is compatible to my software version Android Version 2.3.4 and HTC Sense Version 2.1

Also my phone keeps sending messages requesting a system update. There's any way to cancel these notifications??

Thanks again!!!

Upvote 0
The link to Sense 3.5 ROM is still broken. Do you think there's any problem to download the other one I mentioned before? [ROM]Stock 2.3.4, Sense 2.1[Rooted][Apps2sd][Virgin Mobile US]- Only for marvelc 510c - xda-developers I was just downloading this version because seems is compatible to my software version Android Version 2.3.4 and HTC Sense Version 2.1
Hmmmmm. The link isn't broken for me or brotherswing. I just re-checked it. Here it is in text--just paste it into your browser:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1445517

If that doesn't get it, google "xda aroma universal sense 3.5 rom" and it should be the first link that comes up.

The other ROM should be fine too, but I'm not a MarvelC expert. I know that the .sense ROM is universal.

Also my phone keeps sending messages requesting a system update. There's any way to cancel these notifications??
Yes... install one of the two ROMs above :)

Upvote 0
This is going to sound sad but i cant even get past the bootloader step! I need HTC Sync to run the bootloader but when I attempted to run HTC Sync after downloading it I get an error message that says "this is not a valid win32 application." What do I do? Can I run the bootloader without HTC Sync?

Try download again: http://dl4.htc.com/managed-assets/support/software/htc-sync/setup_3.2.10.exe

If still not work, maybe this might be of help: Install Instructions

on edit: this just if you meant you can't get htc sync installed. As far as the bootoader stuff, I haven't done this method, so sorry I don't have an answer for that

Reactions: CafeKampuchia
Upvote 0
This is going to sound sad but i cant even get past the bootloader step! I need HTC Sync to run the bootloader but when I attempted to run HTC Sync after downloading it I get an error message that says "this is not a valid win32 application." What do I do? Can I run the bootloader without HTC Sync?
You cannot update the bootloader without HTC drivers which are bundled with Sync. So follow the link provided by Sisu, and once Sync is installed, make sure it's not running. Open task manager and if you see it, kill it. The drivers will still work.

Upvote 0
Hello....

So I could find the link to sense 3.5 but apparently they took the link out because it's unstable but someone posted the link to an earier version 2.0 and I tried to install that but in the post- install step it gets stuck on 50% on system permissions...anyone knows what that means??

What should I do???

Thanks

Debora

Upvote 0
Hello....

So I could find the link to sense 3.5 but apparently they took the link out because it's unstable but someone posted the link to an earier version 2.0 and I tried to install that but in the post- install step it gets stuck on 50% on system permissions...anyone knows what that means??

What should I do???

Thanks

Debora
Wait until Ben (owner of .sense) works it out. It'll just be a day or two. He's pretty proactive.

Upvote 0
heyy... this is the list of CM.. Downloads - cm7-wildfire-s - Unofficial Cyanogenmod 7 port for HTC Wildfire S - Google Project Hosting which one should i download??? what is the meaning of " update " before the file name?? do i need to flash a base rom b4 i flash the update???
It's up to you to decide which one you want. I personnaly prefer CM 7.1 because it's the latest which is stable in my opinion. You can try CM 7.2 but quite a few things don't work, although they are working on it.
And yes, I think that if it says 'update' you will need to base rom before you use the update.
Please correct me if I'm wrong Cafekampuchia :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones