• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] how to root US LG G Stylo on 5.1.1 and unbrick :) updated on 9/2/2015

http://imgur.com/lL8Km45
Its a link since its a full desktop image. Sorry i dont have internet on the computer right now and pda is not working.
Sorry i forgot to include the error message. I will shortly

You're getting "access denied" because you're missing the spaces in the command. Just copy/paste the commands from the first post. Much easier than typing them yourself. Just postpone till you have your internet back up.

Upvote 0
I never got the ui_print at the end. I pulled battery and tried again. Same thing, no ui_print it just asks for another command. I typed LEAVE and it accepted the command so the prompt wasn't hanging. Rebooted to root! So it definitely works. Also used push file and send command to push twrp with dd.

I flashed a bad modem and this exploit allowed me to recover from a soft brick. Awesome tool to have.

Upvote 0
I never got the ui_print at the end. I pulled battery and tried again. Same thing, no ui_print it just asks for another command. I typed LEAVE and it accepted the command so the prompt wasn't hanging. Rebooted to root! So it definitely works. Also used push file and send command to push twrp with dd.

I flashed a bad modem and this exploit allowed me to recover from a soft brick. Awesome tool to have.

So just to be clear what carrier do you have?

Upvote 0
Attention if you bricked via trying to root with the 5.0.2 method on 5.1.1 then just run what is below and you will have a fully working and rooted Stylo ;)

Hello there I and Unjustified Dev have figured out how to root this puppy with the help of a video on YouTube so please read carefully and copy carefully please

Step 1 make sure you have a Windows PC
Step 2 download the LG Drivers from here: http://www.mylgphones.com/lg-android-usb-device-drivers
Step 3 reboot your device into download mode
Step 4 download this folder and unzip it to your desktop: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347799389
Step 5 now run ports.bat from withing the extracted folder, to find your correct port (use the one with: LGVZANDNETDIAG1)
Step 6 in the LG_Root folder hold shift and right click and choose open command windows here
Step 7 run Push_File.exe \\.\COM11 busybox /tmp/busybox
^^^^^(place correct number after "COM" with no space)^^^^^^
it will then give you a message for example:

C:\Users\juan\Desktop\LG_Root>Push_File.exe \\.\COM11 busybox /tmp/busybox
Author : blog.lvu.kr
File : busybox
Path : /tmp/busybox

UNLK : FAIL
OPEN : OPEN
TOT FileSize : 1048328

SendStart
WRTE : WRTE1048328byte sent

CLSE: CLSE

Step 8 run Push_File.exe \\.\COM11 lg_root.sh /tmp/lg_root.sh (same deal as before)
Step 9 run Push_File.exe \\.\COM11 UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /tmp/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
Step 10 run Send_Command.exe \\.\COM11
Step 11 type the following ls tmp which will result in:
#ls tmp
FAIL
#ls tmp
UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
busybox
lg_root.sh
now Step 11 run sh /tmp/lg_root.sh dummy 1 /tmp/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /tmp/busybox

which should give you:
ui_print *****************
ui_print SuperSU installer
ui_print *****************
ui_print - Mounting /system, /data and rootfs
ui_print - Extracting files
Archive: /tmp/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
inflating: META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
inflating: META-INF/CERT.SF
inflating: META-INF/CERT.RSA
inflating: META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary
inflating: META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script
inflating: arm/chattr
inflating: arm/chattr.pie
inflating: arm/libsupol.so
inflating: arm/su
inflating: arm/supolicy
inflating: arm64/libsupol.so
inflating: arm64/su
inflating: arm64/supolicy
inflating: armv7/chattr.pie
inflating: armv7/libsupol.so
inflating: armv7/su
inflating: armv7/supolicy
inflating: common/99SuperSUDaemon
inflating: common/Superuser.apk
inflating: common/install-recovery.sh
inflating: mips/chattr.pie
inflating: mips/libsupol.so
inflating: mips/su
inflating: mips/supolicy
inflating: mips64/libsupol.so
inflating: mips64/su
inflating: mips64/supolicy
inflating: x64/libsupol.so
inflating: x64/su
inflating: x64/supolicy
inflating: x86/chattr
inflating: x86/chattr.pie
inflating: x86/libsupol.so
inflating: x86/su
inflating: x86/supolicy
ui_print - Disabling OTA survival
ui_print - Removing old files
ui_print - Placing files
ui_print - Post-installation script
ui_print - Unmounting /system and /data
ui_print - Done !

Step 12 type LEAVE and press enter and let your device reboot
Step 13 Don't brick your device now that you have root
:)
edit: works on all known US Variants don't know about the Canada or English ones....
Need some help please my son hit the ota update and failed since then i have lost root and muy phone won't reroot

Upvote 0
nope i'm sorry
Hello,
I don't post much... I just wanted to know how to get a recovery installed because i can not get in to recovery after your method of rooting..i didn't see a warning to back up stock recovery in there first post.. Is there a way to get into stock recovery if i backed it up after installing Flashify? I see the stock recovery in flashify but I've used my 3 chances already today

Upvote 0
Hello,
I don't post much... I just wanted to know how to get a recovery installed because i can not get in to recovery after your method of rooting..i didn't see a warning to back up stock recovery in there first post.. Is there a way to get into stock recovery if i backed it up after installing Flashify? I see the stock recovery in flashify but I've used my 3 chances already today

i just got into it, so you powered on the device by pressing and holding Power + Vol down then after the LG in a circle shows up did you let go then repress and hold the same buttons? cause that's how it's supposed to be done...i've tried advance rebooting with apps from the play store but they don't seem to work

Upvote 0
@Rashad Oglesby you need to find your port that has diag1 on the end when your phone is in download mode. Run the ports.bat file and find it, mine was COM4 and COM11 was just an example for the guide

Will this work on a rooted 5.0.2 to update to rooted 5.1.1?????
@Kolma528 actually yes it will, if you do this method you will get cerificate error 18 or something along those lines and then you wanna have the untouched update for your phone(ex. if your on boost like me there is a copy floating around the site somewhere) on your external sd card, boot into recovery by having your phone completly off and holding the volume down and power button at the same time. then select update from sdcard from within recovery. it should flash fine but it will take a few minutes, after that select reboot to system, and it will boot up fine. you wont have root but there is a way to get that but i would wait because boost has released another update to fix the stage fright scare, and it you root you wont be able to update. Just root after you take the stage fright update I know this works for a fact as i did it for my wifes phone and mine. Best of luck

Last edited:
Reactions: Krlypumaa
Upvote 0
@Rashad Oglesby you need to find your port that has diag1 on the end when your phone is in download mode. Run the ports.bat file and find it, mine was COM4 and COM11 was just an example for the guide

@Kolma528 actually yes it will, if you do this method you will get cerificate error 18 or something along those lines and then you wanna have the untouched update for your phone(ex. if your on boost like me there is a copy floating around the site somewhere) on your external sd card, boot into recovery by having your phone completly off and holding the volume down and power button at the same time. then select update from sdcard from within recovery. it should flash fine but it will take a few minutes, after that select reboot to system, and it will boot up fine. you wont have root but there is a way to get that but i would wait because boost has released another update to fix the stage fright scare, and it you root you wont be able to update. Just root after you take the stage fright update I know this works for a fact as i did it for my wifes phone and mine. Best of luck

I alredy relased the ZV5 update.zip and the ZV5 untouched system.img and a rooted ZV5 system.img with added goodies ;) i made the guides on XDA....i also have the ZV4 untouched system.img if your still on ZV4....since ZV5 fixed the stage fright scare :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones