1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Guide: How to S-Off, Root and install CWM. On a Wildfire running Froyo 2.2.1

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Howard Hopkinson, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Jon_LTD

Jon_LTD Android Expert

I never did express my grauity.

Thanks for the guide - rooted the missus's phone and have Cyanogen 7.x installed with no hitches.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. vasylee007

vasylee007 Lurker

have unlocked my wildfire . my HBOOT is 6...0002 , S-OFF and i tried to root with unrevoked but it saying 'Firmware too new.......' I must downgrade it and install another ROM to root..with unrevoked ... but want to know if i install another Rom will be locked again

3. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I have rooted my wildfire but still have s-on.
    it was pretty easy relative to things ive read here about gaining s-off.
    i wanted to share this for those who want to root without getting s-off.
    not sure about the best way to share it on the forum. relocate it if you wish.

I used a method i found in "scottys noob friendly rootguide start to finish " to root my wildfire (still S-ON).

1) I used htcdev to unlock my bootloader. (get unique unlock code, factory reset and wipe all data)
    2) Just using fastboot/adb on a PC, I booted (not flashed) the clockworkmod recovery recommended for the wildfire,
    3) using the temp recovery, i then created a nand backup and flashed the SU zip. On restart, I had root. (with no loss of personal data)

the CWM recovery didnt allow navigation into the menu at first, but after a little wait and a few tries, it worked fine. I didnt need to reboot it. This was the only glitch in the entire unlocking/rooting process.

Checked root with Terminal Emulator, it returned me a #.
    i will decide in the future if i want S-OFF, i may not need it - still reading...

i hope other wildfire users and maybe wildfire s, etc can use this easy method if they dont need s-off.

4. chelsea ces

chelsea ces Lurker

Help! Me too. USB debugging enabled. Stupid question ... which option should I use for connecting to PC; I'm assuming 'mount as disk drive'

5. Nightsaberr

Nightsaberr Lurker

Hello Mr. Howard!

First of all I wanted to thank you about your guide, I followed every step and it really helped me to root my HTC Wildfire.

I did everything as you said and it worked, but when I tried to install the ROM that you suggested (DK CUSTOM ROM) I got stuck. The thing is... I went through all the steps, I wiped cache, data and everything else that it said I need to do, I installed the ROM from zip (from recovery mode) and it says "Install from sdcard complete" but it doesn't reboot the phone.
    When I go to "Reboot system now" the phone shows the HTC logo and it just stand there (The guide said that the first boot will require 10 to 15 minutes, but I waited for almost an hour and still nothing).

I'm sorry to bring up this thread after so much time, but I really need your help.

Thank you.
    Nightsaberr

6. fabgav

fabgav Lurker

I got gingerbreak done via this method but am stuck at step 3.
    How do I install the cwm on my phone and why do I need to do it?
    Do i install it via hboot if so can someone provide instructions?

I found this http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/ClockworkMod_Recovery but that refers to nandroid.

So if i download the zip in orig thrad, extract .img to root of sd card, and then what?

thanks

7. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Lookout sees gingerbreak as malware! :thinking:

8. Hdi,

Hdi, Lurker

Hi! Its my first rooting and i have question about ginerbreak step. I downloaded it and have read ReadMe file. How to put apk to phone memory? There is written that i shout put it with apb push. What's that? And what is .c .c2 files? Where is .apk? Thanks

HTC Wildfire Forum

The HTC Wildfire release date was May 2010. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 384GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

May 2010
Release Date
Reviews