• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] HOW TO: Update a CM7 based rom and keep your Data, may also work coming from FroYo to GB

tripdoc79

Android Enthusiast
May 24, 2011
OK, So you just got your phone setup to the way you like it after flashing a CM7 ROM and now theres an updated rom available or theres a new version from someone else you want to use. This guide will help you restore your phone to its previous glamour after flashing a fresh rom. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK as I will not be held responsible for any damage you incur to your phone. And as always, read everything twice before doing it. I have personally used this method more times than i can count, but you never know how things are gonna end up.

EDIT: This may also work if coming from Froyo based rom or stock, but i have not personally tried it. But if you make a backup, you can always go back and start over.

NOTE: This guide requires getitnowmarketings GNM recovery. this can be found here: http://androidforums.com/getitnowmarketing/330813-all-one-recovery-thread.html

Updated to include ClockworkMod recovery.

1. Before flashing your shiny new updated rom, boot into recovery and make a Nandroid Backup of your phone and remember to include the SD-EXT as well if you are currently using A2SD. You should always make a complete backup of everything in case something goes wrong.

2.Now make a backup of your Data and SD-EXT partitions ONLY through the Nandroid Backup/Restore menu. IF you are using CWM recovery, skip this step.

3. Now that you've made the proper backups, go ahead and follow the directions to flash your new rom. If you are following this guide.. you've probably flashed a few roms and know the routine. For those of you that dont, Wipe ALL USER DATA/Factory Reset through recovery. Then procede to Wipe Dalvik-cache. Then flash your rom and latest gapps if not included.

4. Reboot your phone, IF A2SD IS NOT INCLUDED IN YOUR ROM follow these steps. IF it is included in your rom skip to step #8. Download the latest DarkTremors A2SD Script here: [Script][A2SD] Darktremor 2.7.5.3 Beta 04 [N1] (01/29/2011) - xda-developers and move to your Sdcard. Now go to Settings> Cyanogenmod Settings> Applications and set to not allow moving of apps. Then set Install Location to INTERNAL.

EDIT: Edited post to use beta04.. still testing beta 5, link changed to beta04

5. Reboot into recovery. Clear cache and Dalvik-cache. Flash the a2sd.zip your just downloaded. Reboot your phone.

6. Go Ahead and add your google account info and sync up.. install whatever google apps you wish.

7. If you previously used a2sd and moved your dalvik-cache to SD, go to the market and download DTsA2sdGUI, just search a2sd and look for Dark Trem. Once installed open the app and move and rebuild the dalvik cache to the sd, your phone will reboot.

8. You are now ready to restore your User Data and apps. Reboot into recovery. Format your SD-EXT partition. Go to Nandroid Restore and Pick the backup you made of your Data and SD-ext partitions. Should look something like DE-dateandtime. Restore it. IF using CWM recovery, go to advanced restore and select the data and ext partitions to restore from your recent backup. Now clear your dalvik-cache. Reboot your phone. THIS MAY TAKE QUITE A WHILE, as you phone is going to be installing all your apps and rebuilding the dalvik-cache. Depending on the ROM you are coming from, your boot animation may change to the one you had before.

There you go.. your phone should now be restored to its previous state with all widgets, backgrounds, text messages, call log, app and website logins, etc etc. some apps may not install correctly, i only had 2 that didnt, and they were unimportant, baby apps, IE Learn Animal Sounds FREE, and something else,, anyway just reinstall them from the market and everything will be fine. Hope this helps some of you.

EDIT: Testing beta 5, i have beta5 working but not from fresh install, and also only on ext4, not ext3. Currently testing file systems etc to see requirements and get proper commands for installing beta5 through terminal to get it to work. Beta5 is currently causing multiple reboots after trying to install on fresh flash.

EDIT: After testing every combination i can think of, it appears that beta5 will not work from a fresh flash, at least i cannot get it to work, on ext3 or ext4. However, you can "upgrade" to beta5 after flashing and setting up beta4, just simply flash beta5 over beta4 after everything is set up. And yes these roms will support ext4, i am currently using beta5 with EXT4 on my phone, but i had to use the "upgrade" method. Something with the initial setup of beta5, as it does not automatically set itself up like beta4 does, when trying to run a2sd commands in terminal its throws alot of "cannot mount, file is busy or does not exist" errors. When "upgrading" all setup is already complete and your just adding the new stuff to it. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, what worked for me may not work for you when it comes to beta5.

Thank you! Thank you - we needed a thread like this. I know we have the original ROM threads, they are great and filled with loads of info, but you kinda get lost within because of all the different topics and all that goes on in there. And can be kind of confusing, esp. for newbies.

Have a question. I flashed updated CM7 (Reppard) ROM yesterday using dtapps04beta (didn't know they had 05). What if I want to flash dtapps05beta. Can I just wipe cache and dalvik cache -then only flash dtps05beta (not ROM also)? Please, please say this is all I have to do, cus I wiped/reflashed all about 4xs (n partitioned) yesterday before I had it all right (long story LOL) But ROM has been working good. TIA :)

Also, seems all is working great for you and you're using beta05 right? May have to do that one, because I am getting reboots now and then while scrolling etc. -any advice - Thanks again for any info -Great thread.

Upvote 0
i actually couldnt get the beta5 to work on my phone.. it has a differant install method, you ahve to install it from terminal after flashing the script and it failed on my sd-ext partition.. thats why i edited the post to include the beta 4.. im still working on it and when i get it all figured out ill update the tut

as far as advice for reboots.. it may be something with the clokc of your phone try clocking it back to 600 or nothing it down a bump or 2.. CM7 ran perfect and fast for me at 600 with no lag b4 i flashed the oced kernel originally.

EDIT: asd far as beta 5.. i am going to try converting to ext4 to see if that fixes the issue

Reactions: DaniellieeE
Upvote 0
i actually couldnt get the beta5 to work on my phone.. it has a differant install method, you ahve to install it from terminal after flashing the script and it failed on my sd-ext partition.. thats why i edited the post to include the beta 4.. im still working on it and when i get it all figured out ill update the tut

C~oo~l thanks - then I'll stay with beta04. I'll keep a lookout on this thread for update. :) Also not sure if you're updating with this info, but when you can, please let me know: if when one is only flashing a new dtapps(a2sd), what steps are needed, ie, wipe all or what would need wiping and/or reflashing. Thanks again in advance, very helpful ;)

Upvote 0
i have to look into that.. i tried flashing the beta4 over the beta5 and my phone wouldnt go past the lg screen and had to start over with a reflash.. but i havent tried flashing the beta5 over the beta4 yet.. all in all.. im thinking your better off using the same version u were using b4, gonna try to find the documentation on beta5 as its not on his site.. or on xda from what i can see. will make a backup of my ext and repartition and convert to ext4 and then try the beta5 and give ya an update.. prob do it later tonight or tomorrow mornin.

Reactions: DaniellieeE
Upvote 0
i have to look into that.. i tried flashing the beta4 over the beta5 and my phone wouldnt go past the lg screen and had to start over with a reflash.. but i havent tried flashing the beta5 over the beta4 yet.. all in all.. im thinking your better off using the same version u were using b4, gonna try to find the documentation on beta5 as its not on his site.. or on xda from what i can see. will make a backup of my ext and repartition and convert to ext4 and then try the beta5 and give ya an update.. prob do it later tonight or tomorrow mornin.

Yes please update if you do. My ROM/dtappsbeta04 going good so far. Don't know if might be because first time doing wipe all including sd-card (after backups to desktop), repartition sdcard, copy files back, (swap;Ext2;Ext2toExt3), then flashed dtapps04beta, & ROM,GAPPS,MMSFix etc. and A2sdGui... (repeating procedure, really as reminder to myself and to become more familiar w it LOL) :) thanks again

Upvote 0
ok.. so test results are as follows: Without reflashing everything and starting from scratch. I made a backup of my EXT partition only, wiped the sd-ext partition and Converted to EXT4, restored backup of ext partition, cleared cache, cleared dalvik-cache, flashed Beta05, and rebooted. boot a little longer than usual, but it worked flawlessly, so now using beta05 with EXT4 partition. Now im gonna make a backup, reflash everything from scratch with the EXT4 Partition, and update the tut for using beta05, i dont see why ext3 wouldnt work, so im gonna pop my extra sd in the phone and see if i can get it to work on ext3 first. if not then on to ext4 we go! lol

Upvote 0
ok.. so test results are as follows: Without reflashing everything and starting from scratch. I made a backup of my EXT partition only, wiped the sd-ext partition and Converted to EXT4, restored backup of ext partition, cleared cache, cleared dalvik-cache, flashed Beta05, and rebooted. boot a little longer than usual, but it worked flawlessly, so now using beta05 with EXT4 partition. Now im gonna make a backup, reflash everything from scratch with the EXT4 Partition, and update the tut for using beta05, i dont see why ext3 wouldnt work, so im gonna pop my extra sd in the phone and see if i can get it to work on ext3 first. if not then on to ext4 we go! lol

Please let us know how it goes - thanks. Hmmm remembering I wasn't able to do backup of my sd-ext before reflashing all yesterday, need to try it. Probably going to try tonite or tomorrow.

Also, and sorry if you've covered this or (is dumb question), but why Ext4??

Upvote 0
Post edited to use beta4, use beta 5 at your own risk. Notes at bottom of OP.

Last night redid all except partition sd-card and it allows nandback, but still does not allow me to do sd-ext. Still not recognizing my sd-ext. Thinking of trying again from step 1 including re-partitioning my sd-card and still use beta04. Any suggestions - TIA :) I'm going to follow your guide in this thread.

Upvote 0
U're a Genious:D - that did it!!! Thank you - soo happy. First did a nandback + android secure, then, repair ext2, then Backup of nandbackup + ext (which haven't been able to do) and it went straight thru w message Backup Complete -awesome. :) Do I have to flash again ROM and dtapps04 again?? TIA

================================

Rebooted and phone's working good.

Edited to add:
also.. do you have enough freespace on ur sd? my sd-ext alone is almost 300mb backup

Just saw your post above. Pretty sure there's enough space. Have 16gb sd-card and only have 2 nand backups on card (have bout 190 apps) - card shows 12+mb space free and partitioned with swap(32); (1024) etc.

Upvote 0
I just want to know what all should we backup in nandroid backup cz i did all the backup including sd-ext bt after flashing the rom and following the steps when i restore the nandroid my rom also goes back to the previous one.
nandroid is not for backing up settings or apps or anything. It takes a complete snapshot of your system, and any time you use that backup you will completely revert to the state the phone was in during the snapshot. You should make a nandroid backup when you have a working clean system, then you can revert to this in case of emergency.

Also you can install all your apps and make a backup, switch to a new rom install apps and make a backup. Then you have 2 states you can swap from with all your stuff already installed on totally different roms.

I hope that answered your question.

Look into titanium backup if you just want to save apps and contacts and such.

Upvote 0
nandroid is not for backing up settings or apps or anything. It takes a complete snapshot of your system, and any time you use that backup you will completely revert to the state the phone was in during the snapshot. You should make a nandroid backup when you have a working clean system, then you can revert to this in case of emergency.

Also you can install all your apps and make a backup, switch to a new rom install apps and make a backup. Then you have 2 states you can swap from with all your stuff already installed on totally different roms.

I hope that answered your question.

Look into titanium backup if you just want to save apps and contacts and such.

Thanks for clarifying that for me also - so nandbackups (done by Recovery) are mirror/snapshots of ph system and serve for emergency backups and such; Titanium is good for after flashing ROM(s) to restore sys apps. contacts etc. Sorry for repeating - just want to understand this correctly cus I end up copying to desktop unneeded stuff n would like to delete some of this from desktop comp;).

Upvote 0
Thanks for clarifying that for me also - so nandbackups (done by Recovery) are mirror/snapshots of ph system and serve for emergency backups and such; Titanium is good for after flashing ROM(s) to restore sys apps. contacts etc. Sorry for repeating - just want to understand this correctly cus I end up copying to desktop unneeded stuff n would like to delete some of this from desktop comp;).
You got it.

Upvote 0
I just want to know what all should we backup in nandroid backup cz i did all the backup including sd-ext bt after flashing the rom and following the steps when i restore the nandroid my rom also goes back to the previous one.

if you are using the GNM recovery, when you select Nand Backup, a screen should appear with boxes and x's next to each partition, for the firsdt backup, add the sd-ext to the list, ie, you should have system, data, cache, sd-ext and something else, cant remember what one, and make a backup, that is just in case anything goes wrong you can restoe to wher eu were, then make a second backup, with only x's next to the sd-ext and the data partitions, after flashing your new rom and following the steps above, restore the second backup you made, the one with the data and sd-ext, and it will restore your old data on your new rom

If you are using CWM recovery, go to the advancved restore menu and rstore just the data and sd-ext partitions after following the guide.

Upvote 0
Hey TripDoc79,

Right now I'm using PlayfulGod's CM7 which came w DarkTremors included.
I have a question about your guide as I would like to use for future reference when I flash a ROM without a2sd. Below para 8 @ bolded, you say "Format your SD-Ext partition." Does this mean reformat the sd-card? Sorry I haven't gone into Recovery menu for last few days and can't remember the options and was a little confused with this part. TIA

8. You are now ready to restore your User Data and apps. Reboot into recovery. Format your SD-EXT partition. Go to Nandroid Restore and Pick the backup you made of your Data and SD-ext partitions. Should look something like DE-dateandtime. Restore it.coming from, your boot animation may change to the one you had before.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones