• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] Installing CWM and a custom ROM on the Motorola Triumph

Tried moving my "bootanimation.zip" to /system/media but I get the following error message: "java.io.FileNOtFoundException: /system/media/bootanimation.zip (Permission Denied).

I know I could use the app, but I'd like to figure this out for knowledge sake.

I was using Astro by the way

-----------------------
Worked just fine with the Boot Animation Utility App. Checked my files and sure enough the .zip is in /system/media. Any idea why I couldn't do that manually? (error message above)

Upvote 0
Tried moving my "bootanimation.zip" to /system/media but I get the following error message: "java.io.FileNOtFoundException: /system/media/bootanimation.zip (Permission Denied).

I know I could use the app, but I'd like to figure this out for knowledge sake.

I was using Astro by the way

-----------------------
Worked just fine with the Boot Animation Utility App. Checked my files and sure enough the .zip is in /system/media. Any idea why I couldn't do that manually? (error message above)

Did Astro have root permissions from SU? I don't use that one, so I can't really tell you for sure.

Upvote 0
That's the thing, I'm not sure. I am never prompted by ANY application for superuser permission but I know my phone is rooted and I do have the super user app. Can't add in Astro to to SuperUser app list and I'm never prompted so don't know how to grant it Astro SuperUser access

I don't think Astro has root r/w capability. At least it never worked for me. That's why I started using ES File Explorer (free on the market). Or you can pay for Root Explorer on the market; a lot of people use that also.

Upvote 0
You don't unzip the file. Copy paste your original (current file on your phone) recovery.img in a folder somewhere safe on your computer. I put mine in a folder I named Triumph Factory Files. This is just for a backup in case you ever want/need to restore it.

THEN click and drag the downloaded CWM "recovery.img" and place it into the window showing your phones files. Select "copy and replace".

You now have CWM!

Remove battery and boot into recovery mode by holding down both volume up and down and power button to see your new awesome CWM working

The file download is a .zip file, but I did just download it again to make sure it was still working fine, and it is. I will attach the .zip here, and see if that helps you. What are you using to unzip it?

There are also links in the CM7 and MIUI threads for versions with ext4 that will work for them (and the rest of the ROMs for the phone). There is also a CWM link in this post that has some older versions as well. Not all of them will work with CM7 or MIUI. You need one that supports ext4 for those ROMs.

Upvote 0
The file download is a .zip file, but I did just download it again to make sure it was still working fine, and it is. I will attach the .zip here, and see if that helps you. What are you using to unzip it?

There are also links in the CM7 and MIUI threads for versions with ext4 that will work for them (and the rest of the ROMs for the phone). There is also a CWM link in this post that has some older versions as well. Not all of them will work with CM7 or MIUI. You need one that supports ext4 for those ROMs.

I'm trying to use win zip to open it, it extracts it into the folder, the file is called Recovery and it is a zip extension. I double click it and then get,
"Error" internal error processing iso image"

Could it be win zip didn't change the extension when it unzipped it?

Upvote 0
I'm trying to use win zip to open it, it extracts it into the folder, the file is called Recovery and it is a zip extension. I double click it and then get,
"Error" internal error processing iso image"

Could it be win zip didn't change the extension when it unzipped it?
The file named Recovery that was extracted from the download is an .img file. You do not need to unzip it. I have no clue why it is showing up as a .zip. Winzip (what I used to do all of this) doesn't change any extensions. When you hook your phone up in download mode those files show up as .img? What sort of OS is your computer?

Upvote 0
The file named Recovery that was extracted from the download is an .img file. You do not need to unzip it. I have no clue why it is showing up as a .zip. Winzip (what I used to do all of this) doesn't change any extensions. When you hook your phone up in download mode those files show up as .img? What sort of OS is your computer?

My OS is windows 7, I don't have my phone yet, was just trying to get everything ready. I tried a different zip program with the same result. I will wait until I get my phone and see what happens.

Thanks for all the help!

Upvote 0
My OS is windows 7, I don't have my phone yet, was just trying to get everything ready. I tried a different zip program with the same result. I will wait until I get my phone and see what happens.

Thanks for all the help!
I think it is something with your computer not reading the .img file extension correctly. If you have the same problem when you get the phone and start messing with it, start a new thread and myself or others will help you along.

Upvote 0
Just sat down and created an awesome .mp3 for my bootanimation. I can't "same name" the file and replace the previous boot animation mp3. I'm using AndExplorer (best file explorer I've used so far).

How do I get permission to rewrite files under /system?

In ES File Explore the was a setting I enabled in the options that enabled r/w and prompted superuser for root access. I would think there is something similar, but I don't use that app to be able to tell you for sure.

Upvote 0
Thanks much! I got through the installation without an issue. One thing I discovered was that I needed ~1gig of space on my SD card to hold the backup, so I had to delete or transfer a lot before I could successfully back it up with CWM as it kept running out of space and failing. If this happens, you have to make room and then delete the incomplete backup before starting it again, as it doesn't pick up where it left off.

Upvote 0
Got my phone yestoday and I just installed MIUI. Looks good! I want to try out the CM7 ROM also. But I do have a question --- Aren't google apps just apps? Why can I install them from android market after installing the ROM (Tickerguy's instruction says gapps have to be installed before booting the first time)?

Upvote 0
Got my phone yestoday and I just installed MIUI. Looks good! I want to try out the CM7 ROM also. But I do have a question --- Aren't google apps just apps? Why can I install them from android market after installing the ROM (Tickerguy's instruction says gapps have to be installed before booting the first time)?

the Google Market is not included if you don't flash the GAPPS file. So, unless you have the Market saved somewhere where you can install it afterwards, you won't be able to download anything from the market since it won't be there.

Reactions: cubecube
Upvote 0
i'm quite noob to this android stuffs and just recently trying to install custom ROM to my android phone. the problem is i do not know how to carry the applications that i had installed previously in the original ROM? do i need to reboot to the original ROM, uninstall it and re install the apps to the new ROM? pls help me guys. at the moment, i turned back to the original ROM. can't live without the apps i always use.

Upvote 0
thanks for the reply. i tried both. i did backup the applications using titanium backup. i also tried to reinstall the apps in the new ROM. initially i thought i can install the apps, but in the market page, it says the apps is already installed. :thinking: any other alternative? or is there any way to restore the apps that i have backed up into the new ROM?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones