• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] Installing CWM and a custom ROM on the Motorola Triumph

Oh what you are saying is something totally different... But what sotie was talking about was an android with an exclamation point over it which is the stock recovery. I don't know what you are describing... That sounds weird :eek:.

thats why i thought she was having the same issue i did lol, i got what your getting at now tho lol, cause i had the exclamation point on mine to, but i fixed mine, it was a download issue when i downloaded the cwm it was a bad file or someone had played with it, then after replacing stock it went away lol, i just needed to get a better cwm img file

Upvote 0
This is the file I downloaded (recovery-cwm-5.0.2.6-triumph.zip) from the android forum. I right clicked on it in Windows Explorer-->Downloads then told it too extract all. I didn't see a file called recovery.img in the zip folder so I moved the one that said 'recovery' only. When tring to open that my computer gave me the option of burning it too a disc. This wasn't making any sense but I proceeded anyway following the video instructions. I drug the recovery file to my F: Mobile drive then plugged in the phone, pressed the 'down volume' and power button, waited for the repeating tiny white text, took out the battery, put it back in, held down the power button and both volume buttons then the exclamation symbol in the triangle with the android robot appeared. I think my major error came with not understanding the zip folder and the file I was dragging to my phone. That's where all my trouble began early in the day. All I was trying to do was get my bluetooth to stop losing connectivity. Virgin Mobile said they're going to send me a used replacement phone in the next 3-5 days. But I couldn't leave this issue alone, and now look what I did.

If these were your exact steps in the exact order as listed, Token was right. It's odd that you list this in this order:

I drug the recovery file to my F: Mobile drive then plugged in the phone, pressed the 'down volume' and power button, waited for the repeating tiny white text, took out the battery, put it back in, held down the power button and both volume buttons then the exclamation symbol in the triangle with the android robot appeared.

If you did do this in this order, it doesn't sound like you were in download mode at that time and it sounds like you copied the recovery.img file into the g:mobile drive where the usb drivers are stored on your phone.

Reactions: agentc13
Upvote 0
- I never liked WinZip; I prefer 7zip (lightweight and does everything)

- Download mode is run with firmware, which isn't affected by anything you can do; hence, it is impossible to brick with software actions

- Be sure to hold the power and volume key(s) until the desired screen shows

- As was stated, without hide known file extensions option, recovery.img goes into the /mobile/image directory: drag from the zip archive window onto a Windows Explorer window showing the /mobile/image directory, where you should see an existing recovery.img

Edit: oops! Something bugged me about it but I couldn't figure it out!

Upvote 0
- I never liked WinZip; I prefer 7zip (lightweight and does everything)

- Download mode is run with firmware, which isn't affected by anything you can do; hence, it is impossible to brick with software actions

- Be sure to hold the power and volume key(s) until the desired screen shows

- As was stated, without hide known file extensions option, recovery.img goes into the /mobile/recovery directory: drag from the zip archive window onto a Windows Explorer window showing the /mobile/recovery directory, where you should see an existing recovery.img

It's MOBILE/image (not recovery). Just to clear up any confusion.

Reactions: Rolo42
Upvote 0
You are putting it into download mode to do this correct? Are there any files or folders in the "MOBILE" drive when you do that? What stock image are you trying to paste in there, can you link it?
I had this same issue somewhat.A virus somehow got into the MOBILE driver of the phone and kept overwriting the recovery.img so that when I would go into recovery all I would get is the battery charging image with a red circle behind it.When I wanted to wipe all the files in the image folder of the phone and put fresh files in the folder deleted itself and now I get no boot no download mode no recovery.So yeah mine is bricked bricked lol:saint:

Upvote 0
hi i don't know if i am posting this in the right area i tried in another location with no luck and this seems to be the most similar issue found......
.....hello and my apologies if i am posting a redundant topic, as i am far from tech savvy by any means, i have been looking all over the net for a solution to my problem and have had no luck so far...

i have the motorola triumph - i have rooted the phone - and according to "root checker" app, and the ability to download and use rooted apps i can only assume i have done that correctly - and i believe rooting the phone is not integral to installing a custom ROM and CWM, i get as far as going to replace the recovery.img with "issacs cwm recovery download - i save and remove the old one replacing it with the new one, then i unplug and remove battery from phone then use volume up,down, and power - all that happens is the phone stays completely off and vibrates till i take battery out - please ANY help ANYONE could provide would be greatly appreciated i'm going nuts with this! thank you

Upvote 0
hi i don't know if i am posting this in the right area i tried in another location with no luck and this seems to be the most similar issue found......
.....hello and my apologies if i am posting a redundant topic, as i am far from tech savvy by any means, i have been looking all over the net for a solution to my problem and have had no luck so far...

i have the motorola triumph - i have rooted the phone - and according to "root checker" app, and the ability to download and use rooted apps i can only assume i have done that correctly - and i believe rooting the phone is not integral to installing a custom ROM and CWM, i get as far as going to replace the recovery.img with "issacs cwm recovery download - i save and remove the old one replacing it with the new one, then i unplug and remove battery from phone then use volume up,down, and power - all that happens is the phone stays completely off and vibrates till i take battery out - please ANY help ANYONE could provide would be greatly appreciated i'm going nuts with this! thank you

Try this download: MT_CWM_5504_recovery.zip. You will need to use winzip (or similar) to unzip the download file and extract the recovery.img.

Upvote 0
I am completely new diy on this literally as of today. When I install one of the mods I'm guessing all my contacts and apps will be deleted and unrecoverable? Should I write down my numbers and such?

for contacts, u can sync them using ur google account, after you install the new rom and resync google up the contacts should be there

apps will be gone, you can use an app to save them like titanium backup, but if you use an app you must be sure not to save and restore any system files or youll have issues, but my personal preference is to just connect to wifi and reinstall them all clean, as long as u have a google account and all, when you open the store and push menu, MY APPS will be an option, which should show you all apps you have ever downloaded, newest showing first

also if you have wifi in ur house, during ur first new rom boot up, i would suggest skipping the google sign in step until you connect to the wifi, it tends to take forever on 3g, unless you had basically no apps

Reactions: Drkchoclatpasi
Upvote 0
When I went to the file to download the zip for installation I saw the meta-inf/ folder and the system/ folder but there was nothing to install. the boot/ disc image file was not showing or whatever is supposed to be showing to do the last installation on the phone.

What are u currently trying to do, install cwm recovery to be able to flash a rom, or do u already have Cwm and ur trying to flash the new rom??

I'd also suggest searching YouTube for minus5252's triumph videos, he has very good tutorials on most things you find on this site

Upvote 0
hey guys this seems like a helpful community.

I have been trying to install CWM but my phone cant seem to boot into download mode.
First time i try to boot into download mode, an Android Character shows up with an Exclamation sign, and it just kinda gets stuck there. THEN i do a battery pull and try it again and download mode works, and shows the "polling, get oemsbl_mode=1" message. but when i plug it into my computer, there's no drive that shows up. Ive installed CWM on another motorola triumph before and its worked. its the same SD card so i dont know if it has anything to do with it. I hate the STOCK rom and i wanna upgrade..
PLEASE HELP! =/
thanks guys

Upvote 0
hey guys this seems like a helpful community.

I have been trying to install CWM but my phone cant seem to boot into download mode.
First time i try to boot into download mode, an Android Character shows up with an Exclamation sign, and it just kinda gets stuck there. THEN i do a battery pull and try it again and download mode works, and shows the "polling, get oemsbl_mode=1" message. but when i plug it into my computer, there's no drive that shows up. Ive installed CWM on another motorola triumph before and its worked. its the same SD card so i dont know if it has anything to do with it. I hate the STOCK rom and i wanna upgrade..
PLEASE HELP! =/
thanks guys

When you see the android guy with the exclamation mark, you're in recovery mode and it sounds like you're in the stock recovery mode since you haven't gotten CWM on there yet.

Regarding when you plug in your phone during the "polling" messages and it doesn't show up on your computer:

Does your phone connect to your computer ok while it is booted into the stock rom? Are you able to mount the sd card and see everything when browsing to your phone from your computer?

Basically, try to see if your computer can actually see the phone during normal operation. If you can't, then it's possble that either the port is bad or your cable is bad. Try a different known working cable to determine which it is.

If the cable is good, then possibly your connecting port is bad on your phone and if that is the case, then you need to contact vm (or bb or rs or wherever you bought your phone from if you got their protections plans) to get a replacement.

Reactions: agentc13
Upvote 0
Any idea about why I couldn't restore a NANDroid backup?

I installed CWM at the end of May so I should have one of the newer versions. I made a full NANDroid backup. Last week I made a full nandroid backup before I started to mess with things. I changed the kernel to bKernel and it was functional made more changes and decided I should restore and go back but it was all downhill from there.

I screwed something up, and tried to recover using NANDroid and all I would get is the M. I don't think it ever got past the inital part because usually it does the M, quick flash, M with animation, then Virgin Mobile.

I tried to restore using two different NANDROID backups and both failed to ever start. I tried the "fix permissions" option but that didn't seem to do anything either.

In the end I had to flash a stock rom onto my phone to get it going again.

Upvote 0
hey guys. so i got my phone rooted, cwm installed, but when i go to backup i get "error while backing up boot image!" and then it wont do anything else..

does boot image really matter since ill be installing a custom ROM anyways??

It WILL matter if you ever want to be able to restore your backup...

Are you sure you have enough room on your sd card to make a backup? How big is your sd card?

Also, you could try wiping your cache and dalvik cache before making the backup; that will make the backup a lot smaller.

Also, what version of cwm do you have installed?

Upvote 0
First off- I am a total noob when it comes to phones. I'm a tech head when it comes to computers, been abusing them since the day of the 286 SX with 2 megs of ram. ;)

Ok, doing the three button boot, with the phone unplugged, as directed- I get a little droid guy, and a yellow exclamation point inside a warning triangle. I am never greeted with polling text, nothing. I boot, it goes to that screen, and it's been sitting there for 20 minutes. I have to pop out the battery to restart the thing.

This phone has been buggy since day one. The touch screen is wonky- it's unresponsive, to get it to work, I have to cycle the screen off, turn it on, unlock it, try the screen, if it's still dead, I go through this cycling routine anywhere from 2-6 times before it finally works. Makes it hard to get anything done. Trying to hang up a call can be trying, to say the least.

So I'm hoping a different rom, without the stuff Virgin puts on the phone, might cure this.

After running this phone since February, I kept getting out of storage errors. I deleted everything possible, installed one touch cleaner to dump all the cache and logs, and still, it was hosed, I could no longer update software, it was out of storage, or so it thought. I did a factory reset, and that helped a bit, it is a bit faster, the storage errors are gone, but this screen is still borked.

With all this in mind, can anyone recommend a ROM that'd do pretty much everything the stock ROM does, but might give me more control over the thing?

Thanks in advance, and again, treat me like a 6 year old and don't assume anything. Maybe I actually need a 6 year old to do this for me? ; ) Ahh, technology.

Upvote 0
Got the polling, plugged it in, nothing. Tried 3 different computers, no drive appears on the computer. I have a feeling this phone is just physically borked. The first one I had, brand new from Virgin, the USB was toast after just a month of use, stopped charging, stopped allowing access to the thing via the USB, then up and died, the USB stopped charging completely. The replacement from Virgin was a refurb, and the thing has been a lemon since day one. I think I need to just get a third replacement and call it a day. I learned years ago that if you stop slamming your head into a wall of concrete, the headaches will go away.

Upvote 0
Got the polling, plugged it in, nothing. Tried 3 different computers, no drive appears on the computer. I have a feeling this phone is just physically borked. The first one I had, brand new from Virgin, the USB was toast after just a month of use, stopped charging, stopped allowing access to the thing via the USB, then up and died, the USB stopped charging completely. The replacement from Virgin was a refurb, and the thing has been a lemon since day one. I think I need to just get a third replacement and call it a day. I learned years ago that if you stop slamming your head into a wall of concrete, the headaches will go away.

Sometimes for me personally the way to get it to connect in polling correctly, is

1. Connect to the pc with the phone started as normal data storage,if your using windows 7 itll load usually 3-4 drivers automatically

2. then safe disconnect, and reboot your pc(this helps sometimes cause the pc tries holding onto other drivers till you reboot)

3. after reboot put phone into polling mode, then plug it into the pc, again if using windows 7 like 2-3 drivers should load this time then in your my computer you should have what shows up as a extra flash drive or HDD or device named MOBILE

for me personally i noticed unless i did it this way, sometimes, the android over bridge driver and one other driver wouldn't load correctly which would always result in it not connecting to my PC correctly

Upvote 0
Hi, I am a noob. Tried to get CWM into my triumph. Follow instruction on post #1, and booted up and see blue CWM 5.0.4.4. But that is it. whatever I do, I see a hat with an orange arrow and it just sit over there and wont do no squat. I was able to navigate and choose from the menu, but it just stuck at this hat and yellow arrow icon. What can I do? Motorola triumph 2.2.2 CWM 5.0.4.4. I have to take out the battery to reboot and the phone still work.

TIA,

bun

Upvote 0
Hi, I am a noob. Tried to get CWM into my triumph. Follow instruction on post #1, and booted up and see blue CWM 5.0.4.4. But that is it. whatever I do, I see a hat with an orange arrow and it just sit over there and wont do no squat. I was able to navigate and choose from the menu, but it just stuck at this hat and yellow arrow icon. What can I do? Motorola triumph 2.2.2 CWM 5.0.4.4. I have to take out the battery to reboot and the phone still work.

TIA,

bun

I believe its been reported that the cwm 5.0.4.4 doesn't play well with Froyo, going to the 5.0.2.6 or 5.0.2.8

I don't remember which but its on the cwm page, it should work fine then

Reactions: bunanson
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones