• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide] Metro PCS Donor Flash

pressy4pie

Android Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2012
/media/connor
Mod Note: By following these instructions, you are confirming that:

1) You legally own the Evo device being flashed and the donor device.
2) Both devices have clean MEIDs (meaning the service provider has not cancelled service to the phone for any other reason than customer request).
3) You will transfer the sticker from one device to the other to ensure that the Evo has the correct MEID. A heat gun or hair dryer will make this easy.
4) You will not sell your donor phone.

Doing anything other than the four criteria above is illegal and any discussion about it will be removed.

ok so i spent the last few days searching and googleing and i have finally succeeded and thought i would share how i used my activated phone to get my 4g phone working on metro's network.

(i know it has been discussed but everything i find was either outdated or spread across multiple pages)
[BACKSTORY]
I obtained an evo 4g days ago and i don't have sprint. I remembered metro having some sort of flash program, so i took it to my local dealer. They made me sign a paper saying if the break my phone it's not there fault (wtf?). but i agreed like a good little consumer. And what do you know, they give it back to me in non-working condition. (Figures.) so i took it home and began my journey.
[/BACKSTORY]

WHAT YOU NEED
1. A phone that is already activated on metro.
2. Rooted(google it) evo 4g
3. qpst
4. cdma workshop
5. Hex editor

First take your donor phone. (i used a samsung admire) and get the meid and esn from qpst. write it down in a notepad thing or something

now open cdma workshop and open your donor phone's com port and go to the nam tab and read it (you'll probably need your spc number) and save it to nam1 now select the drop down menu and select nam2 and save as nam2.

so you have your esn, meid and nam settings? ok turn off your donor phone take the battery out and put it in a locked box.

DO NOT EVER TURN BOTH PHONES ON AT THE SAME TIME AFTER THIS GUIDE

now get your evo 4g and load it up with qpst. once you have the com port open open efs browser inside qpst and open your phone. you'll need your spc.

once your in you'll notice the nvm folder is not accessible. Well that is the folder we need. That is just not fair. oh well. wrong. We are going to unlock it.

this is going to sound totally weird but your going to make a new folder called.. wait for it.. "open sesame door" no quotes.

i know its weird but thats how you unlock it. reboot your phone and open it with efs browser again. then go into /nvm/num and grab 0 and 1943 and stick'em on your desktop.

find your favorite hex editing program and open 0 change the numbers to your donors esn. then open 1943 and change it to your donors meid and put both files back where they belong.

a note you have to put your esn and meid in reversed.
example: if your donor phone's meid is
Code:
 01 29 34 56 84 a7
flipped it would be
Code:
 a7 84 56 34 29 01
its the same with the esn.
BANG YOUR NOW ON METRO.

now last thing is to follow this http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/345848-metropcs-evo-all-info-here-rom-metrogenmod-7-1-a.html thanks for reading. Hoped i helped someone out.

Mod Note: By following these instructions, you are confirming that:

1) You legally own the Evo device being flashed and the donor device.
2) Both devices have clean MEIDs (meaning the service provider has not cancelled service to the phone for any other reason than customer request).
3) You will transfer the sticker from one device to the other to ensure that the Evo has the correct MEID. A heat gun or hair dryer will make this easy.
4) You will not sell your donor phone.

Doing anything other than the four criteria above is illegal and any discussion about it will be removed.

Upvote 0
I would have thanked both of yall twice if I could. :D this is much needed information, particularly in light of metro/houdini rumors as of late.

No problem! I went to a lot of metro stores around my area and none of them flashed phones because they didn't have the right "cables". Seriously metro? But one of the guys told me I could look on eBay and craiglist for someone to add my esn to metro and if I knew enough I could do the rest. So I found someone on eBay who has done my phone and my friends phone and I do the rest on cdma workshop and qpst following a guide on XDA. The hardest part was getting cdma workshop lol

Reactions: pressy4pie
Upvote 0
they stopped the flash program in my town. So i had to find a different way to do it. But your welcome all. if you're town still does flashing i'd suggest doing that because this is a pain in the arse and you have to have a phone allready activated. But it is also free, so if you don't want to spend thirty bucks you can do this

[EDIT] If your on an aosp rom such as cm7 you can get into diag mod by
Code:
echo 1 > /sys/devices/virtual/usb_composite/diag/enable
in an adb shell. i mention this because i didnt want to have to erase all my apps and such cause restarting is a pain.[

Upvote 0
they stopped the flash program in my town. So i had to find a different way to do it. But your welcome all. if you're town still does flashing i'd suggest doing that because this is a pain in the arse and you have to have a phone allready activated. But it is also free, so if you don't want to spend thirty bucks you can do this

[EDIT] If your on an aosp rom such as cm7 you can get into diag mod by
Code:
echo 1 > /sys/devices/virtual/usb_composite/diag/enable
in an adb shell. i mention this because i didnt want to have to erase all my apps and such cause restarting is a pain.[

The way I do it is I have someone put in my esn that's all. I don't know where he lives. So if anyone wants his email let me know.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones