• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide] MetroPCS MarvelC Root!

This is a guide to help people who like me seemed to have a hard time (re)installing a recovery onto the MetroPCS version of the HTC Wildfire, aka marvel c. First of all there are credits to soo many different sites and people i cant name them all, but i thank you ALL!!! Second you will need to have your device "setup" to start, so here goes and cross fingers. :p
1. You will have to have your device "unlocked" in the sense of the Boot-loader. To do this go to HTCdev - Unlock Bootloader
1a. When finished you should have "unlocked" you phones h-boot (says unlocked at the top) but the phone may still be "S-On" if so its not a problem, since mine is still "S-On".
1b. Download the attached files (i will give links at the end if needed)
1c. Use the usb cord to transfer root.zip to the 1st folder of the sd card.
1d. Install Android SDK from the following site Android SDK | Android Developers
1e. Once installed go to the extracted folder and select all the files and copy/cut them to the c:\ drive.
1f. Once moved/copied open up to c:\sdk\platform-tools
1g. Copy recovery.img to the previous folder.
2. Now that we have that done we can now install a custom recovery.
2a. Turn off phone and remove then reinstall battery (to be sure phone is really off and not just "sleeping").
2b. Turn on phone into H-Boot mode by holding "Volume-" and "Power" Buttons. (You can release once turned on)
2c. Wait for it to check SD Card then use the "power" button to select the "Fastboot" option.
2d. Plug you phone into your computer with a usb cord.
2e. Open a command prompt window on your computer.
2f. Type the following commands to install a Custom Recovery.
cd c:\sdk\platform-tools this will change the starting folder to said folder
fastboot devices this will list connected devices, be sure that it shows a connected phone
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img this will install the custom recovery
2g. Once finished unplug usb and choose "BootLoader" using the "Power" button again.
2h. Use the "Volume-" and "Power" buttons to choose "Recovery"
2i. Once loaded you should see the recovery screen. Congrats!
3. Before we do anything else we should make a backup of your phones current setup (aka Rom)
3a. Select "Backup"
3b. Be sure that ALL the boxes are checked so that you dont loose anything.
3c. Swipe to start backup proccess.
3d. Once finished choose "Mount" and make sure "Mount SD Card" is selected.
3e. Select Mount USB Storage.
3f. Backup you backup to your computer for safe keeping.
3g. once finished, be sure to "Safely Remove Hardware" computer side, select "Unmount"
3h. Press the button in the bottom right corner that looks like a arrow to return to the home screen.
4. We Can now install root using the custom recovery
4a. Choose "Install"
4b. Scroll to bottom and choose "Root.zip"
4c. Swipe screen button to confirm flash.
4d. Now you should be rooted and have custom recovery!
5. Links.
5a. Root.zip root.zip
5b. recovery.img recovery.img
6. After thoughts
6a. Be sure to update (from market) SuperUser!

The recovery that i found that works was TWRP but i had found (before) a version of CW that had worked. I do know that the version from their site (5.0.2.8) does NOT work on my version of wildfire. If someone can link a backup of their stock rom for metropcs would be nice since i lost mine when my pc crashed. Any other questions just let me know. :)

Reactions: jonny wad
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones