• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] N00B Friendly OTA JB Install - Updated 7/14/13

TehJibba

Android Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2013
On A Boat
I figured id post this as there are posts all over the place saying do this and do that so we needed a clear and concise post laying out the process for everyone. To be clear there are a few different ways to go about this and i will regularly update as new stable ways come about

Disclaimer: Only YOU are responsible for what happens to your phone while doing anything, including flashing any ROM So BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP AND THEN BACKUP SOME MORE!

Method 1: (recommended)
Follow the directions in the first post Here - (Credits: SuperR, Junkie2100, Mgiddeon, APOPHiS420 for all their hard work and testing to make it work)

Method 2
:
First off in order for things to go smoothly you NEED to be on a rom that hasn't been deodexed yet. If you only rooted and installed CWM on your B09 rom then Skip to step 3 Otherwise Start on step 1

1. Download This Stock B09 rom and flash it (Credits: SuperR)
2. leave cwm on the phone This means when it asks you if you want to disable flashing of the stock recovery you choose yes!
3. Download the ota from your phone
3a. Go to settings > apps > all > Google Services Frameworks
3b. Clear data and Force Stop Google Services Framework
3c. Go to settings > system update > Update ZTE software
3d. Retry steps 3a - 3c until you get the update
4. Before installing the ota use root explorer (or similar) and navigate to the /cache folder in the root of the phone, copy the obscenely long file named zip to your sd card root DO NOT MOVE OR DELETE THE ONE IN THE CACHE FOLDER leave the one in the cache folder
5. Reboot to cwm recovery
6. Do a factory reset (optional)
7. Install the obscenely long file named zip from your sd card let it do its thing and voila!

If you want to regain root and still have CWM installed then follow these steps:
1. Download Root zip - (Credits: chevanlol360) and place onto SD Card
2. Reboot to recovery
3. Flash the root zip

If you want to regain root and ended up with the stock recovery after updating:
1. Download This - (Credits: Junkie2100)
2. Download Root zip - (Credits: chevanlol360) and place onto SD Card
3. Flash CWM using the fastboot method NOT TERMINAL on Junkies tool
4. Reboot To recovery
5. Flash Root.zip

If you have trouble getting fastboot CWM method to work:
Read THIS and follow the directions in the first post! - (Credits: Junkie2100)

i go to google service framework i clear data force to stop en when i go to system update said the last time i update was 12/31/1969 dont know why so i hit to get update nothing happen

I thought you said you were on jb and things were going well???? If so there is no update

super i flash this rom so far is great the only thing the qulacom stuff force stop but i remove the apk problem solve thank u

Upvote 0
It gives that date because you cleared the data for google services framework which held the last time it got checked. When you click on check now it should update the last time it check with your current time. If you dont get the ota right off repeat the steps to force update till you get it. Boston area should have the ota already tho

Upvote 0
It gives that date because you cleared the data for google services framework which held the last time it got checked. When you click on check now it should update the last time it check with your current time. If you dont get the ota right off repeat the steps to force update till you get it. Boston area should have the ota already tho

when i go to the apps in settings it doesnt give me the option to choose "all" it shows tabs of running, on sd card, and downloaded. so what do i do?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones