• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] Noob's Guide to 'Galaxy Prevail -All Things Root' 0.3

As a reminder, Android Forums has a set of site rules/guidelines posted in our Introductions forum. In this thread many of the basic "rules of the road" are documented.

http://androidforums.com/introductions/704-site-rules-guidelines.html

Below is an excerpt from the Site Rules thread:

General Conduct: Admittedly, I'm probably a little more anal about this topic than some. I have very little tolerance for uncalled for disrespect. With that said.. read on. Please treat other members with respect. These forums were put together for Android fans to come together and help each other, collaborate and discuss in a positive way

Upvote 0
After needing to delete several new posts in this thread I will remind you of what Martimus has already said, only I probably won't come across as nice about it.

We have rules and guidelines for behavior on this site. We also have a zero tolerance policy with regards to how our members treat each other. If you cannot abide by these rules then we tend to have a problem. If you have not read any of this before now, then please feel free to see the links in my signature.

Any further activity in this thread that violates the rules or the ZTP will result in infractions. Consider this your warning.

Thank you for you cooperation.

Upvote 0
As a reminder, Android Forums has a set of site rules/guidelines posted in our Introductions forum. In this thread many of the basic "rules of the road" are documented.

http://androidforums.com/introductions/704-site-rules-guidelines.html

Below is an excerpt from the Site Rules thread:

General Conduct: Admittedly, I'm probably a little more anal about this topic than some. I have very little tolerance for uncalled for disrespect. With that said.. read on. Please treat other members with respect. These forums were put together for Android fans to come together and help each other, collaborate and discuss in a positive way

Reactions: mavrikmeercat
Upvote 0
After needing to delete several new posts in this thread I will remind you of what Martimus has already said, only I probably won't come across as nice about it.

We have rules and guidelines for behavior on this site. We also have a zero tolerance policy with regards to how our members treat each other. If you cannot abide by these rules then we tend to have a problem. If you have not read any of this before now, then please feel free to see the links in my signature.

Any further activity in this thread that violates the rules or the ZTP will result in infractions. Consider this your warning.

Thank you for you cooperation.

Hi OfTheDamned

Thanks for looking into this for me.

I hope we can all be civilized here. We all want to make the Android experience better, we dont need to offend each other

Reactions: mavrikmeercat
Upvote 0
We're losing patience here. Either keep the thread on-topic, leaving personal issues at the door, or it gets locked as a waste of space. Your choice.... :mad:

Hi Slug

I am sorry that 3 moderators had to look in this already, you guys /gals have better things to do with your time.

Come on everybody, let by gones be by gones

Reactions: Addacus
Upvote 0
good question.

odin can restore the factory rom which is made in the Samsung factory, that's why they call it a "factory" rom, the factory rom (which was created by Samsung comes preinstalled when you buy a galaxy prevail) however i am not sure where on Samsungs website they keep this information, perhaps you can contact Samsung's technical support?

your welcome

Hi psp_noob

thank you for answering my question, and thank you for this great quality thread

I did follow your advice and contacted Samsung tech support, they were very nice and told me they dont provide Odin to the general public because it can cause damage to the phone if you dont know what you are doing.

They also told me that the actual ROM is not made at a factory, but in a cubicle, by a thing called a duveloper or something like that, it is then later sent to the factory for production.

Well, thanks again for this great thread

Upvote 0
Hey Noob a few updates:

NEW ONE-CLICK ROOT TECHNIQUE

[ACS] One Click Root Samsung Prevail/Replenish Shabbyfied - By Shabbypenguin, Bliss, Interdpths

SYSTEM MODS
CyanogenMod 7.1.0 for Prevail Unofficial Beta v1a - By Team hroark13

PERFORMANCE MODS

[MOD] A2SD & S2E On CM7 - by Chin Checka

THEMES

[CM7 THEME] Ultra Blue - by Bloodawn

DarkTremors Official Site to get A2SD Betas:

Welcome to The Darktremor

BTW: It seems that EXt4 does more read and writes to the SD Card, so it really hampers the life of the SD Card. It does provide more stability and data protection however it really works your card hard. I've read tons and tons of posts on this forum throughout all categories and many people if not all suggest that EXT2 is best at least for the SD Card. This is my personal opinion and should not be taken as exact confirmation that you should ONLY be using Ext2. The choice again is always up to the person. Example posts:

http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/257824-ext2-vs-ext3-vs-ext4-what-better-why.html

http://androidforums.com/hero-all-things-root/226167-ext2-ext3-ext4.html

Reactions: psp_noob
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
i've been running GB for a day now and i figure we will eventually be tweaking all mods/roms/themes n' such to work with it, for now i'm going to leave the froyo stuff up, until the GB stuff is good and solid

i might leave a section at the bottom for "older stuff" but once the GB takeover is complete i'll just focus this guide for GB friendly stuff

hopefully most of the links i already have posted will evolve into GB versions of their stuff and that will take care of itself

good luck, and looking forward to the progress

Upvote 0
you posted this in another guide, and asked that I post here.

it is not up-to-date BECAUSE of all the development in the last two weeks

as a general rule of thumb i try not to direct noobs to use all the latest (and untested) bug filled piece of software that gets posted here

:p i'm glad you already cleared that up for me :cool:

i'll play around with the new batch if/when i get around to it and then post my 2 cents, until then anyone who wants to make suggestions of which one is better and why, THAT IS why i made the guide

feel free to post any feedback that is on your mind (in the thread) :)

Will there be a version scheme for this guide? Noticed it is at 0.2. Will there be incremental moves (0.3, 0.4, etc...)? It seems like you are going in that direction, and I think it is a good idea. I just wanted to clarify. That way we will all know if/when you have had time "to play around with the new batch" and that the guide has been revised.

Upvote 0
you posted this in another guide, and asked that I post here.

Will there be a version scheme for this guide? Noticed it is at 0.2. Will there be incremental moves (0.3, 0.4, etc...)? It seems like you are going in that direction, and I think it is a good idea. I just wanted to clarify. That way we will all know if/when you have had time "to play around with the new batch" and that the guide has been revised.

i think it's about ready for a 0.3 bump, since i've added a few things since 0.2, and it will definitely update to a new number once the GB takeover is complete, until then, i don't think we are completely ready to abandon the froyo stuff just yet

in the meantime if there is stuff you feel like needs to be included feel free to share, as for exactly what number the guide is at currently, i wouldn't worry too much about that, (since it's kinda arbitrary to begin with :p)

however i wouldn't say that the guide is out-of-date by any means, just be patient dude

Upvote 0
I can't even explain how much fun i had doing all this last night. I couldn't stop! Six hours later i think i was finally done having fun with reading and customizing. I basically have a brand new phone, this is such a luxury.

Many thanks to all the great people that made this possible.
I can't wait to test new mods an such. :D

glad i could help, enjoy

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones