• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide] Root for Official 2.3.5 With Guide

Based on all of the positive reviews, I decided to try your guide to rooting with 2.3.5. I have a captivate that I just upgraded to 2.3.5 and, among other things, the constant crashes and tethering manager is killing me.

However I'm stuck! I'm at the point where odin is supposed to be flashing I897UCKF1-AutoRoot-DesignGears.tar, but after 20 minutes there is no change, no progress bar on odin or the phone, and odin still says

<ID:0/006> SetupConnection..

as the last message in the log. Phone is in download mode. Is it safe to disconnect and try again or keep waiting? Many posts in this forum have said that they have been able to do this in 15-20 total!

Thanks

EDIT:

Turns out "Run as Administrator" is REALLY important. (read and FOLLOW ALL directions)

My phone actually bricked when the cable fell out while I was waiting and nothing happened.
While in the brick screen, I flashed the AutoRoot tar file and that actually got everything back on track. Thanks again!

How did you flash the autoroot.tar file after the cable came out? all I can get is the image of a phone asnd computer with a exclamation mark in the middle.

Upvote 0
I re- rooted my phone about 3 hours ago... all seemed to be going well then I noticed that I had lost over 20 apps . they are there but grey and says not installed. Also it now will not recognize SIM card says to install and reboot,,, done that a few times. Also I have no internet connection unless its wifi .. NOT GOOD !
I downloaded busybox and updated superuser at the end of root. It was rooted before I update to Gingerbread so I checked my titanium B.U and said that I needed to change some setting in apps. I did that as well .
I did the directions and followed them by Geeve420 looked promising to have a rooted phone again.
Now Im at a HELP moment ! what went wrong anybody?

Upvote 0
Geeve, you are FREAKING AWESOME! I have spent countless hours trying to root my Captivate- never finding instructions as concise and understandable as these! Straight forward- piece of cake!!!
I see your comment about who the original author is, and I will compliment him too!
I AM ROOTED!!! See ya bloatware!

Upvote 0
Geeve,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to help us newbs. out. My Captivate has been a good phone, better after upgrading to Gingerbread. Now I'm going to flash ICS. Good------>Better------->Best!
Thank you for helping me with Odin and CWM.

For some newbs like me the flash process takes moments, not minutes.

While flashing my phone, Oden seized on me. I had to remove the battery while in the download mode triangle. This caused the phone to go into brick mode. Screen Icon Looks like a small cell phone---triangle----computer.
With Odin running in Administration mode, I pulled the battery, waited 15 seconds, then reinstalled the battery. Plugged in the USB cable. I held down both volume buttons and the on/off button while booting, screen flashed the "brick" icons once (still holding down 3 buttons), screen flashed twice, then I let go JUST the on/off button, I was again in download mode. The screen will NOT show the download triangle but Odin will recognize the device. At this point I was able to flash the two roms successfully.

Brick fix LINK: How To Fix Samsung Phone Exclamation Point Computer Icon Screen for Captivate Possibly Vibrant – Kernel Error Black Screen?| Popular Social Trends with TraeMcNeely.com

I hope this helps someone, and prevents the panic like I had. :)
Ron

Upvote 0
I have no idea currently how to flash CWM with this installed. :l When i download rom manager i see only Galaxy S i9000 on the list.

Hi, I got to the point of having odin install I897UCKF1-AutoRoot-DesignGears.tar, but somehow the connection with the computer failed. Now when I try to turn on or connect the phone, I get a picture of a computer and phone with a yellow triangle that has an exclamation point, in between the two. What should I try to do now?

Thanks!

This method doesn't work for 2.2?

Sorry I have been away awhile, babies are very time consuming LOL!

@roflitsabunny: I posted a different guide to get CWM. basically it is the same thing only you flash corn kernel which includes CWM.

@dandroid: the triangle -> ! -> computer is technically download mode so you are fine. start Odin and plug the phone in and it will see it

@android: Not sure because 2.2 can be rooted with oneclick.

@Renron: thanks for helping folks out!

That last statement really is for everyone who has helped!! the great thing about forums is learning, teaching and respect. I try to pop in here from time to time but family is my number one. keep it up everyone.

Geeve

Upvote 0
Wow! Best install instructions I have seen in a long time. Even a moron like me was able to mindlessly follow your procedure and achieve a successful result. Kudo's--you have definitely earned the moniker "Smok'in Baby"!

But I did encounter one stumbling block not mentioned in the procedure that is worth noting. Odin did not recognize the phone when I put the phone into "Download Mode". The root cause of this problem was that the PC I was using did not have Kies Mini installed. Consequently, the device drivers that come with Kies Mini were not installed, and Odin requires these device drivers to communicate with the phone. Once I installed Kies Mini from the Samsung Captivate SGH-i897 Kies Mini Download page, everything worked as advertised.

Finally, some notes on the Kies Mini install that users should be aware of:

1. Kies Mini no longer automatically installs Windows Media Runtime 11. Apparently Samsung can no longer host WMF 11 for download. If WMF 11 is not installed, the install script will hang and abort with a WMF error message. But take heart! You can download WMF 11 here Windows Media Format Runtime Download - Softpedia
  2. Reboot the PC and start up Kies Mini once from the desktop icon. It will check for current drivers, and then download the latest version.
  3. Shutdown the PC again and remove every USB device you can. All you really need is the keyboard and mouse. Even after doing this on my PC, the USB drivers for Odin "collided" with the mouse, so after installing the kernel, the mouse quit working! But while the phone was powered off for reboot, I temporarily shutdown Odin (using the keyboard), unplugged and replugged the mouse USB cable, and the mouse came back into service. Install then worked exactly as described in the procedure.

Upvote 0
Everything seemed to work fine, until I tried to charge the phone. Tried usb to computer and AC to phone. The battery icon shows charging and I can move the screen, but if I press anything, anything at all, it is frozen, no more screen movement nothing. If I press an icon on the screen it act as if the icon stays depressed. When I unplug the charger the battery icon continues to show that it is charging. I cannot turn the phone off, but after about 10 minutes the screen goes off an will not come back on. Got to pull the battery to restart the phone.

Made my own thread but no responses

Upvote 0
HI all, forums, forums, forums, Yes. Is my first post on this forum, A big thanks to Geeve420 as I just used this guide "http://androidforums.com/captivate-all-things-root/483646-guide-root-official-2-3-5-guide.html" for installing CWM Recovery and root via CornKernel on my AT&T Samsung Captivate SGH-I897. Thanks geeve420! It went swell. I used heimdall on Ubuntu 12.04-64 bit machine, my OS of choice, has been for years. Took a while to find the correct cli command "heimdall flash -- kernel zImage", I had been trying to do it through heimdall-frontend, but the Terminal is better anyway. I'll figure out the heimdall-frontend method soon enough.
I spent a lot of time on ubuntuforums.org, but am now very much enjoying this forum. Thanks to all the contributors, mods, etcetera. Now onto searching for the safe way to upgrade to cm-7.1.0, and the safe way to get back to GB 2.3.5 if necessary.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones