1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Guide] Root for Official 2.3.5 With Guide

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by geeve420, Jan 14, 2012.

1. arunarun18

arunarun18 Lurker

Amazing guide, could root my phone very easily in 1st attempt . thank you very much.

2. avi_captivate

avi_captivate Lurker

I tried rooting the phone exactly as in the guide. it seemed to have gone fine till as shown in the screen shots. But it looks like the phone did not root. I am not able to remove any of the at&t apps that come with the phone. it still shows I897UCKK4
    Pls help.

3. Hi Geeve,

Finally I am at a point to take a plunge to move ahead with android tinkering. I have 2.3.5 which I updated through kies. Now I want to move ahead toward slim. My phone is not rooted. After reading lot I figured that the first thing I need to do is root the phone using your guide, then do ndroid backup, then go for 4.0.4 slim. Is this a good plan?

Also is there a good guide for how to go about ndroid backup on a rooted phone?
    Suggest.

4. bigmorg15

bigmorg15 Lurker

Juss did this over the weekend. Coming into it only knowing what `rooted` meant, this guide put any fear I had to ease. First thing I did after was to give you a big thumbs up!

5. corbetta

corbetta Lurker

I followed the exacts steps and it worked!! it only took me 10 minutes. Best guide i ever found. keep up the good work.Thank you !!!!

6. qqwertyy

qqwertyy Lurker

EZ guide, worked great. My question only question is I thought I will end up with a custom recovery other than the stock one. Can I flash the latest CWM via odin so that I can install my custom rom? Or can I just use the apply update from sdcard option?

EDIT
    Actually I tried that option to install CyanFOX and it errored out that there is no enough space in the system, update aborted. The current recovery doesn't have format options like CWM.

7. thomcruz

thomcruz Lurker

nothing shows in ID:COM

g206 likes this.
  8. JTECH

JTECH Lurker

I did this and it worked fine until I downloaded an app on my phone then my phone just started randomly booting and restarting in a loop..... why is this? I soughted out the problem eventually by flashing the phone back to the original stated with odin one click downgrade the o.s....would like to root but afraid of the random restart...

9. MITHRAND1R

MITHRAND1R Lurker

Thank you for this thread.

Question about the ROOTing process:

After this--
    Now click the PDA button and browse to I897UCKF1-AutoRoot-DesignGears.tar and Odin will now look like this:

How long (in general) should the yellow downloading triangle remain until the phone reboots to the AT&T intro screen? (I did not see this information anywhere in the thread.)

I have attempted to ROOT my phone (current phone info below)
    Capivate
    Model: Samsung SGH-I897
    Firmware: 2.3.5
    Baseband: I897UCKK4
    Kernel: 2.6.35.7-I897UCKK4-CL614489
    Build#: GINGERBREAD.UCKK4

I thought I rooted the phone properly, but the app root checker states that my phone is not rooted properly.

Using Odin3 v1.85 I received the following feedback: (I897UCKF1-AutoRoot-DesignGears.tar)

<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
    <ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
    <ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
    <ID:0/005> zImage
    <ID:0/005> NAND Write Start!!
    <ID:0/005> RQT_CLOSE !!
    <ID:0/005> RES OK !!
    <ID:0/005> Completed..
    <OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)
    <ID:0/005> Removed!!
    <ID:0/005> Added!!

I get the Green PASS! 0:5
    The ID:COM is in yellow [0:COM5]

I think I am following the directions correctly, but perhaps there is something I am missing.

Thank you for you assistance in advance.

EDIT -- I discovered what I was doing incorrectly. While ODIN was running I was still pressing on both of the volume buttons. This time I released the volume buttons after pressing START. I checked with the app root checker and it states that my phone is now rooted properly. It was quick & easy once I released the volume buttons. Thanks again for this thread. :D

#334 MITHRAND1R, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  10. I follow this guide on page 1 and I'm rooted. Thank you very much

11. g206

g206 Lurker

Have tried this method but nothing shows up in the ID:COM box the computer doesn't seem to recognize phone when it's in downloading mode, but will recognize any other time

12. ircimager

ircimager Lurker

MUCH LOVE TO YOU FOR THIS!!!!

Samsung Captivate Forum

The Samsung Captivate release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews