• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide] Root for Official 2.3.5 With Guide

When I downloaded the files the only one I had to unzip was Odin, the others were already .tar files. When I unzipped them the file type changed and Odin wouldn't recognize them. Try this: don't unzip the files and relocate them to whatever folder you choose, then open Odin and select PDA, locate the files in the folder you chose and select the correct one for whichever step you're on. That should work. If you need more help don't hesitate to PM me. I may be new here but I'm no dummy lol

Thanks for jumping in! I hadn't had that happen yet. When I packed them I put the tar in a zip file. Good to know what is working for others, thanks again!

Geeve

Reactions: supermansalu
Upvote 0
Just wanted to say that I was I was able to root per the Odin method defined here (on the original post [OP]) to my Android 2.3.5 (Kies updated before unlock) Samsung SGH-I897 Captivate with success.

But it took me many times until I finally installed Busybox app. off of the Android Market via my Wifi connection. Perhaps it would of taken me longer to figure this out, but I had installed the Galaxy S Unlock app (also from Android Market) that I would try to apply. It would give me a Busybox error which was the hint I needed. So even though I ran both Odin PDA updates as defined in OP, I didn't have to repeat the Odin tasks once I installed Busybox. I was rooted. All I had to do then was to run Galaxy S Unlock and this time I was able to perform all three "Galaxy S Unlock" steps with success (most importantly, the backup step and finally step (3) which was the Unlock step). This root method was a no-go until Busybox was loaded on my phone. Yes, I was rooted and unlocked. My T-mobile sim card now runs on the phone (Android Gingerbread [v2.3.5]) which was originally an AT&T phone.

Even though I was successful in getting this Captivate (bought used off of ebay) to work with my T-mobile SIM card, I now wish I just bought an original (but also used) T-mobile phone (e.g. a T959 Vibrant*). For a T-mobile user T-mobile phones (Android 2.2+, some Blackberrys, see link below for a longer list*) have their Wi-Fi Calling app. (UMA technology) that provides a seamless/automatic alternative connection to the cell phone tower pathway where wifi access is available (e.g. at home, hotels, etc.). Imagine if you were at a hotel that had dead cell coverage for your phone but you were able to connect to their wifi. You would be able to make calls!!! I had this experience and was able to plan/reserve my next night's stay while visiting the Sequoia National Park without being horrified ($$$) by using the hotels phone to make numerous outbound calls.

* http://smart-wi-fi.com/smartphones.php

Reactions: yorke25
Upvote 0
Tried all afternoon to follow the instructions but the stupid phone wouldn't connect to my computer at work. Came home and everything worked like a charm. I am SO glad to have root back. Tibu doesn't even complain anymore that my root is messed up somehow. I am usually the one that all the weird stuff happens to but it was perfect this time. Thank you ever so much geeve. :)

Upvote 0
Does anyone know were i can find a rooted rom that supports devicelooping. (so i can install ubuntu). Ive looked and looked and more looking, but i cant seem to find one that states it. My phone (captivate) is already rooted. (used the method stated above, which worked perfect, but it doest support devicelooping).
Thanks in advanced.

Upvote 0
Morning Geeve,

So I think I got that random freezing locked down and fixed. I first experienced it frequently on Corn Kernel v7.05 and saw it less frequently on v7.06. Before backing everything up and pursuing a "Scorched Earth" scenario though, I did some digging into Titanium Backup. Turns out, you can clear your Dalvik cache using Titanium Backup.

I did that last week, give or take a day. I have not observed any more lock ups or freezing problems. Yaaaay team.

Once again, thanks for posting all of this data. I recently recommended it to a friend who also had a captivate and wanted to root it. It worked like a charm for him.

Allen.

Reactions: geeve420
Upvote 0
Morning Geeve,

So I think I got that random freezing locked down and fixed. I first experienced it frequently on Corn Kernel v7.05 and saw it less frequently on v7.06. Before backing everything up and pursuing a "Scorched Earth" scenario though, I did some digging into Titanium Backup. Turns out, you can clear your Dalvik cache using Titanium Backup.

I did that last week, give or take a day. I have not observed any more lock ups or freezing problems. Yaaaay team.

Once again, thanks for posting all of this data. I recently recommended it to a friend who also had a captivate and wanted to root it. It worked like a charm for him.

Allen.

Good find on that!!! I would have never thought of it, or even looked that deep. Great job man, that will help some out for sure. I am currently on Slim ICS 4.0.3, but if I go back to GB, I will keep this nugget in the back of my mind :D Thanks again!!

Geeve

Upvote 0
So I've tried following these instructions over and over, but I can't get Odin to detect my phone. I tried it on two different computers, hoping that it was an issue with my usb ports or my os (one computer has win7, one has win xp). Alas, in both cases my computer detects the phone but not Odin. I did successfully get my Captivate into download mode and tried doing this with and without the sim card, sd card, and battery. Has anyone else had this problem, or know how to help?

Upvote 0
followed instructions exactly and got my captivate rooted again...thank you so much for these detailed instructions and package :)

adding with that, this forum will now be my primary for captivate.. newbies like me can not get sense into XDA Developer...

thanks so much..

Please Help. I follow the instructions and get to the First part when you load the I897UCKF1-AutoRoot-DesignGears but then when the celphone reset can not pass the galaxy s screen on my phone Can you please tell me what to Do. Thanks a lot..Vincent:(:(:(

Upvote 0
Let the phone completly boot back up. once it is fully up, shut it off again, and put it back in download mode and connect to computer (of course with odin running)

I did that but the phone is stuck on Galaxy S Logo. I have it plug it in in AC because i dont want to turn off...What can I do...Please help...Thanks a lot..Vincent:(:(:(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones