• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide]rooting and adding CWM Recovery to 2.3.5 with Corn Kernel

Thank you thank you thank you! You guys effing ROCK! :D

Edit (3/13/12): Having issues with random reboots, mostly during phone calls. No more than a few in a week until today when I have had phone calls trigger reboots four times. Was using 7.05. Will now try 7.06 and see if I get better results. Other than that, I seem to have a weird green flash when the screen times out that is the same color as the Corn logo???
Weirdness still beats AT&T crapware and being leashed to the Market (now Google Play?! for real?). Will update when I see where this kernel goes. Would like to know if anyone else has random reboots and what seems to trigger them.

Upvote 0
I am having problems getting into the recovery menu. I flashed I897UCKJ3 Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread and then flashed Corn Kernel. Everything went fine, but now when I shut down and load up holding the volume keys and power button it resets at the Corn Kernel screen and never make it to the AT&T screen. This is preventing me from getting into recovery. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
FYI, I'm a noob. Just rooted for the main purpose of removing AT&T's stuff. What apps should I install to manage power and backup?

I'm also having two issues. One, my phone keeps rebooting. There is no consistent pattern of when it does it, it'll just freeze and reboot. Two, when I charge my phone and remove it from the charger I receive some sort of tethering manager error. I started getting this when I updated to 2.3.5. How can I remove that?

Also, jacobbflaggiv mentioned using CWM to work with the battery. I felt like this was the better method of rooting so I chose it not really knowing what CWM is. How do I access it to work with the battery?

Finally, is this the best way for me to root if my main goal is to remove AT&T's stuff? I downloaded TiBackup to remove programs and have been successful so far.

Upvote 0
I'm on a 2.3.5 and already rooted. Ultimately I rooted to install CM7 (unless someone knows of something better?) But then found I couldn't use CWM from the market. So, I guess I need someone to hold my hand going forward, can I reflash just as the phone is? From there just download CM7 and install from the bootup menu as described in a post above? Any help would be appreciated!

Relax, have a homebrew!

Upvote 0
I'm on a 2.3.5 and already rooted. Ultimately I rooted to install CM7 (unless someone knows of something better?) But then found I couldn't use CWM from the market. So, I guess I need someone to hold my hand going forward, can I reflash just as the phone is? From there just download CM7 and install from the bootup menu as described in a post above? Any help would be appreciated!

Relax, have a homebrew!

I have this same question but i'm wanting to install Firefly 3.0. My phone is rooted via the http://androidforums.com/captivate-all-things-root/483646-guide-root-official-2-3-5-guide.html guide and have installed the new corn kernal via this guide for the clockwork recovery... Though I'm not entirely sure I understand flashing I know that I did flash in the root guide, do I just reboot into Clockwork and install firefly rom that i've saved to my internal SD under the name of "update" ?

Upvote 0
I have this same question but i'm wanting to install Firefly 3.0. My phone is rooted via the http://androidforums.com/captivate-all-things-root/483646-guide-root-official-2-3-5-guide.html guide and have installed the new corn kernal via this guide for the clockwork recovery... Though I'm not entirely sure I understand flashing I know that I did flash in the root guide, do I just reboot into Clockwork and install firefly rom that i've saved to my internal SD under the name of "update" ?

yes. make sure to make a backup if you need to.
reboot in cwm and install zip

Upvote 0
Every time I plug my phone into my computer in download mode a window pops up and says "Device driver software was not successfully installed" and under that where it says Gadget Serial there is a red X next to it saying "No driver found". Im running Gingerbread 2.3.5 someone please help! How to I install the driver?

Upvote 0
Every time I plug my phone into my computer in download mode a window pops up and says "Device driver software was not successfully installed" and under that where it says Gadget Serial there is a red X next to it saying "No driver found". Im running Gingerbread 2.3.5 someone please help! How to I install the driver?

did you try plugging it in when not in download mode and see if it installs the driver like that?

Upvote 0
Can you get your Captivate into download mode? (with the phone off, hold the vol. down and vol. up buttons and plug in the USB cable. You should see the yellow warning triangle that says downloading.)

From there use Odin to reflash the kernel. Make sure you use a kernel that includes CWM as Rom manager doesn't play nice with Samsung phones and will corrupt the CWM installation.

Reactions: Android26 and VFT
Upvote 0
I am able to get the phone into download mode and Odin recognised that the phone is connected however when I add the kernel and click start Odin says:
Added!
Odin v.3 engine
File analysis
SetupConnection..

And nothing from there.
I had used this thread to root and all went well....then a friend tried to instal cyanogen and that is when the issue started. He wiped all data from the phone using the recovery mode and now when the phone starts you get at&t then the System corps screen that loads the bar completely but does not move past that screen.
When I reflash the kernel from this thread it now says that it has passed but still just loads up the System Corps screen.

First time doing this...shouldn't let my friends that "know what they are doing" touch my phone

Hopefully I can get this figured out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones