1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Guide]rooting and adding CWM Recovery to 2.3.5 with Corn Kernel

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by geeve420, Feb 2, 2012.

1. 70ny

70ny Lurker

I do not remember which was the kernel that I flashed, Do you think it will be a problem if I flash another kernel?
    For example, if I had corn kernel flashed using Odin and now I flash SpeedMod Kernel using Heimdall Suite 1.1.1

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

If you don't know what the android version is, then it's unlikely it would let you boot back into android, but it may get you into recovery. At this point it would probably be best to take it back to stock and work forward from there.

Android26 likes this.
  3. 70ny

70ny Lurker

thank you very much, I appreciate your help and your fast replies to my questions, Thanks

4. dbwill

dbwill Newbie

About the time I was ready to go, my computer crapped out so am just now getting back to installing ICS. A quick question on Tritium backup. When I restore do I restore "Missing apps + all system data" or "Restore all apps with data"?

Thanks again

5. Bajanagent

Bajanagent Lurker

Hi everyone, I was wondering if there was a guide to rooting a captivate with 2.3.6. thanks in advance.

6. lunatic59

Apps with data.

Titanium Backup User's Guide | Titanium Track

7. Bajanagent

Bajanagent Lurker

any tutorials with 2.3.6 can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm new at this

8. lunatic59

Just to be sure, are we talking about the Captivate model SGH-I897? Or are we talking about the Captivate Glide (with the keyboard)? I thought that the last official update for the SGH-I897 was 2.3.5 (UCKK4).

9. Bajanagent

Bajanagent Lurker

I'm sorry about the earlier posts, I was told that the phone was coming with 2.3.6 firmware and when I finally got the phone it has 2.3.5. Thanks again for your response and i'll be trying the guide soon.

10. lunatic59

No problem at all, I just wanted to make sure you got the right information. It's very important that you install the correct firmware for the exact model/android version.

Android26 and Bajanagent like this.
  11. LordMerlin

LordMerlin Lurker

Just a Note of Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated. With you help and my Son-in-law Who sent me to your forum page it turned out to work just as you showed.
    Thanks again!!

12. Bajanagent

Bajanagent Lurker

Hi everyone I have a question, I bought my phone unlocked. If I do this process will it lock my phone again? Thanks in advance.

13. lunatic59

If you are referring to sim-unlocked, then no. That's independent of the update.

14. garbagehead

garbagehead Lurker

Hi, I have spent all day online reading these forums and they have been very helpful. I have now reached the point where I need some help.
    I have been trying to do a Nandroid backup so I can install a ROM. This is my first time with any of this.
    I am fairly certain my phone is rooted (used Oneclick). I installed ROM manager before I read posts below by lunatic59 (thanks) that said not to. As a result, I cannot enter CWM recovery; only stock recovery.
    I have Odin3, drivers, KIES mini, and a ROM that looks good; I think I could do this if I could get CWM to work.
    I have been reading about the kernel fix but it seems to be for 2.3.5 and I want to make sure I do the right thing for my 2.2.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

15. lunatic59

Use the same oneclick that you used to initially root and it should fix CWM. If not, you may have to take it completely back to stock and start over.

16. SaXaPhIdEsOuL

SaXaPhIdEsOuL Lurker

Quick question: Will the super user from the play store work with this rom. I need to remove the superuser currently installed on my phone to trick TWC TV app into working but I want to be sure that I can install superuser from the play store. Any info is appreciated, Thanx!!

17. lunatic59

Sorry, don't know. But I would assume that it wouldn't work.

First, if you read Chainfire's notes:
    Second, deleting the app won't remove root and probably won't fool TWC.

SaXaPhIdEsOuL likes this.
  18. durrence

durrence Lurker

Trying to upgrade a Captivate running Eclair to rooted Gingerbread. First I ran "i897uckk4 Odin one click with absolute latest and safe BL's.exe" This loaded stock gingerbread 2.3.5 and everything worked perfectly. I then put the phone in download mode. I then ran Odin Odin3v1.85, selected CornKernel_UCKK4_v706.tar, clicked the start button, and then got a FAIL message from Odin. The phone was still in the download mode so I removed and re-inserted the battery. Now when I turn on the phone I get the message "Firmware Upgrade Fail, Try using recovery mode." I can't get into recovery mode and can't get into download mode, even using the dongle. Is this phone permanently bricked?

19. xume1

xume1 Lurker

Thanks you so much, you're awesome!

20. lunatic59

When you try and turn on the phone, does anything happen?

21. tonyng

tonyng Lurker

installed cmw as instructed, after boot into cmw try to do data wipe/factory reset> screen freeze at using erase (rm-rf)...

never mind , screen look like it freeze but after 10mins data did wipe.

22. tjphilly

tjphilly Lurker

Hey Geeve - BTW, used your other guide to root Cappy - worked great-tks. Quick question. I did flash this kernel to get CMW - seemed to be ok. However,I cannot get my phone recognized now. Rebooted both laptop and phone (twice). Any suggestions??
    TKS!
    Troy

23. kylestyle20

kylestyle20 Lurker

24. avikar

avikar Lurker

Yesterday i bought my Captivate and spent the whole night to flash CWM but your post gave me everything..

Thanks a Lot dude.. Cheers.. :) :) :D :):):):):):):):):):)

25. cpolly69

cpolly69 Lurker

Thanks for this root guide. I picked up a used cappy to keep as a backup device. I had to search around a bit to find this guide. Several others were out there, but they often required many more steps and wanted you to go back to eclair. This root guide works flawlessly.
    After rooting I went to cm10 and on to cm10.1 - This phone is awesome on those roms especially when you consider it's age.
    My only problem now is trying to get the google play store app to work without having a sim card. I installed gapps both times I did the cm install but it's just not there with all the other google programs.

Samsung Captivate Forum

The Samsung Captivate release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews