• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide]ROOTING HTC android 2.2.1 or lower with unrEVOked - Windows (updated 20th December 2012)

make sure debugging is enabled and windows sees the device as an adb interface under android in device manager before using the downgrade utility

hi, back for another go at this rooting.

I have debugging on
im not sure about how windows sees my device but under device manager it lists android phone > android bootloader interface. I cannot find this adb?

I tried the downgrade again and followed to the end please see screen grabs.

I have no idea what to do on the last bit but when i press power it loads some green writing quickly and says image not found ? is there something else i should have put onto the sd card other than the PB99IMG.zip?

Sorry the image wont upload as its to big, i dont know how to resize it...

Upvote 0
That green writing should find PB99IMG.zip.

Can you confirm it is all capitals and the file name is EXACTLY "PB99IMG.zip" and nothing more, like PB99IMG.zip.zip?

Also it cannot be in any folders on the SD card...

yes its in the root of the card and named only PB99IMG.zip

keep trying to upload an image but i guess its not showing

Attachments

• sd card.JPG
    sd card.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 72
Upvote 0
With a gold card just use the 2.29.405.5 RUU to debrand.

i have downloaded the file to the pc, do i have to put it onto the sd card to use it if not what aprt of the file do i use ? do i need the radio download also?

does any of this need to concern me? i dont want to muck up:thinking:

Below taken from teppics page on XDA.

2.29.405.2/5 INIT.D ROM v3.0 | v3.1

This is the latest HTC unbranded release. The base ROM is as described above, including init.d support, with no other modifications. Choose this if you want to install the latest rooted stock ROM. The mods below are not all compatible with this newer ROM, so it is important to install only those that are marked as compatible. The 2.29.405.5 is a very minor update from 2.29.405.2; you can install this directly, you do not need to install 2.29.405.2 first.

If you are upgrading from an earlier pre-rooted ROM you may be able to do this without wiping your data, though a wipe is recommended as usual if you experience any problems. To upgrade without wiping you must re-install your previous mods immediately following the ROM's installation. For example, if you have updated your system apps, by installing the new ROM these will be replaced with older versions, and so you must first run the update apps mod again before booting the phone. If you do not, you will certainly get problems. However, if you perform a full wipe, you do not need to worry about any of these things.

The radio supplied by HTC with this ROM is 32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27 and so is the recommended one for you to flash.

Download 2.29.405.2 ROM

Download 2.29.405.5 ROM (the name on the download is mislabelled.)

Download radio

Upvote 0
That's a custom Rom. Use the one in our toolbox thread. Password towards end of thread

It's an .exe you run from pc. You have to run it as admin

I have run the RUU as directed and It gets to the sending signature part and goes to error 131 customer id error. Please get correct ROM for your device.

what does this mean? update.. so i have the wrong RUU, i have no idea which one i need can someone advise me please.

thanks

Upvote 0
Have you got your goldcard in?n It means that its not for your device (which we know it isn't) which means your goldcard is either not the SD card in your phone or your goldcard is not working. What method did you use to make your goldcard?

The sd card in the device is the goldcard, i partitioned it so i have a EXT3 for APS2SD as advised on a different thread. I used the goldcard tool on the FAQ page for rooting HTC desirehttp://androidforums.com/desire-all-things-root/221212-faq-rooting-updated-10th-august-2011-a.html.

So how do i check if its working ?

Upvote 0
I formatted the card on my pc and partitioned it then put it backin the phone and created the gold card.

Should i have formatted it on the phone? is there a way to partition it when in the phone?

if i format the sd card is there a way to partition it when in he phone? if so whats the software to use?

im sorry to be a pain here, i just really need to get this phone sorted as its virtually unusable with the current memory.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones