• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide]S-OFF and ROOT HTC Desire with Revolutionary - Windows (published 4th November 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Alaya, and welcome to AF :)

I believe 1.09 is the officially unlockable bootloader for CDMA devices. Does it say "locked" at the top of the hboot screen? That indicates that the bootloader is unlockable.

If so, neither revolutionary nor unrevoked will work. The hboot downgrading tool I'm aware of is for GSM, so should absolutely not be used on a CDMA handset.

So that leaves 2 options:

1) Try to find a downgrade method that is safe on a CDMA handset. Be careful, as messing with hboots is one of the few ways you can really brick a Desire.

2) Use the official bootloader unlock.

The second won't give you full S-Off, but should let you flash a custom recovery, which will then allow you to root your ROM or flash a custom ROM.

To do this, go to HTCdev.com and follow the instructions for unlocking the bootloader. You don't need to update your software if you have 1.09, so ignore any stuff about running an RUU to update the phone. The site will tell you how to generate and load an unlock key (you'll need fastboot set up on your computer to do this - they have instructions there, otherwise this guide links to instructions on how to do this). Unlocking will perform a factory reset, which means that it's important to back up any important data before doing this.

Once the bootloader is unlocked you can follow the steps in this guide for downloading a compatible custom recovery, flashing it, then using it to root the ROM. Basically the bootloader unlock does what revolutionary does, just a little less completely.

The main differences between this and revolutionary (S-Off) are that you won't be able to fastboot flash radio or hboot (but there are few CDMA radios and no custom hboots for CDMA, so that's less of a restriction) and won't be able to modify /system while running android (so uninstalling unwanted system apps is more work). But it will let you do most stuff.

Upvote 0
Hi Alaya, and welcome to AF :)

So that leaves 2 options:

1) Try to find a downgrade method that is safe on a CDMA handset. Be careful, as messing with hboots is one of the few ways you can really brick a Desire.

2) Use the official bootloader unlock.

First - thank you for helping a newbie.

I'm trying option number 2, but when I get to step 5 on the HTC website I don't have the file it requires me to open:

Run the

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Ok, I made it through a few more steps! My HBoot is unlocked, I added a custom recovery, and I tried to root.

Following step 7 I booted into HBoot and selected recovery. My phone got hung up on the HTC screen until I removed the battery. It restarted ok, but I'm worried to try the same step again.

Did my adding a custom recovery not work?

Upvote 0
Thank you for linking the other thread, I didnt see it until after I had posted. The problem was in the recovery, when flashed the recovery from the other thread it worked just fine. I am now an owner of a newly rooted HTC Desire. I now just have no idea what to do with my power.

Another step for another day.

The next step is probably to select a custom ROM from XDA

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones